+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I don't see it so much as being incapable, but more a case of the right people being unwilling. Let's call it, uh... trickle down socio-economics.
    So, you have a bunch of people unwilling to help our own people, and your solution to this problem is to throw more people who need help at it? Because you sure as hell aren't going to get them to magically start caring any time soon.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Seems obvious to me that the root of this problem is the drug market.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage View Post
    So, you have a bunch of people unwilling to help our own people, and your solution to this problem is to throw more people who need help at it? Because you sure as hell aren't going to get them to magically start caring any time soon.
    While I could see your reasoning as a defense to not actively try and bring them all into this country, it doesn't justify throwing away those who do get here.

Besides, in some respects, increasing the problem helps bring attention to it.

As Arus said, this isn't because we can't, it's because we chose not to. And many ignore it because it's easily ignored. Make it a huge mountain of a problem, and then it's not so easy to ignore.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    While I could see your reasoning as a defense to not actively try and bring them all into this country, it doesn't justify throwing away those who do get here.

Besides, in some respects, increasing the problem helps bring attention to it.

As Arus said, this isn't because we can't, it's because we chose not to. And many ignore it because it's easily ignored. Make it a huge mountain of a problem, and then it's not so easy to ignore.
    It occurs to me that we could totally be like every other central american country and just keep them moving north into Canada. They have their shit together, let them deal with it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

sounds good to me. they can help the NSA keep track of maz

Nah, Canada can just push 'em further north to Santa. I hear he's good with kids and has jobs for 'em.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Interesting stat:
    The Obama administration has said, repeatedly, that its focus is on deporting unauthorized immigrants who fit its administration "priorities": convicted criminals, "recent border crossers," and people who have been deported and returned to the US. 98 percent of all people deported last year fit into one of those priorities.
    I don't know what the definition of "recent" is, but those seem to be solid priorities for deportation.

Pretty sure Frontline already debunked that storyline. The convicted criminals stat is something like 25% violent offenders.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    Pretty sure Frontline already debunked that storyline. The convicted criminals stat is something like 25% violent offenders.
    How is that "debunking" anything? If you commit a crime and are convicted, you clearly fall under the category of "convicted criminals". If they are asserting that they are only deporting "violent offenders" and then deport shoplifters, that would be a "debunking".

BG Level

I couldn't find the exact Frontline report you were referring to, but here's PBS in 2013, presumably talking about 2012:
    In 2008, only 33 percent of those deported had criminal convictions. Last year that number reached 55 percent.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ant-detainees/

The picture they are painting is all that matters: we're deporting criminals, turning people away who have just crossed, and are on multiple attempts..... to reunite with their families. No talks about the concentration camps they hold immigrants in, the families they destroy, or the dirty tactics they use to pick up randoms at illegal checkpoints or on bs charges.

BG Level

Who do you think should be deported? This is a serious inquiry.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

We should deport all those nefarious Pulitzer prize-winning journalists who have the audacity to speak out about their undocumented status.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I couldn't find the exact Frontline report you were referring to, but here's PBS in 2013, presumably talking about 2012:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ant-detainees/
    Again, I am confused as to how that "debunks" anything. There are more categories than criminal convictions.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/21/politi...-guard-border/
    Texas Gov. Rick Perry will immediately send up to 1,000 National Guard troops to help secure the southern border, where tens of thousands of unaccompanied minors from Central America have crossed into the United States this year in a surge that is deemed a humanitarian crisis.

Perry also wants President Barack Obama and Congress to hire an additional 3,000 border patrol agents for the Texas border, which would eventually replace the temporary guard forces.

He made the announcement, which he called Operation Strong Safety, on Monday in Austin.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Strong safety lol

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Countering futbol with FOOTBALL?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I don't know much about football, how many points is a strong safety worth?