+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

140 Illegal Immigrants bused to Murrieta for processing turned away by protesters.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

A crowd of 200 to 300 people in downtown Murrieta surrounded three buses carrying immigrant detainees Tuesday afternoon, causing the buses to turn around before they reached a Border Patrol station in the Riverside County city.

Waving Americans flags and protest signs, the crowd refused to give way when the buses arrived with some 140 detainees from Texas, which has seen a flood of Central American immigrants cross the border in recent weeks without legal permission.

The face-off came one day after Mayor Alan Long urged residents to protest the federal government’s decision to move the recent immigrants who had arrived in the country illegally -- and have overwhelmed Texas border facilities -- to the Border Patrol station here.

“Murrieta expects our government to enforce our laws, including the deportation of illegal immigrants caught crossing our borders, not disperse them into our local communities,” Long said Monday at a news conference. The city had defeated two previous attempts to send migrants to the facility, he said.

Unable to drop off their passengers safely in Murrieta, buses instead headed for a Border Patrol facility in San Diego County, arriving late Tuesday afternoon.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials met with city officials in Murrieta and Temecula before the protests, said Virginia Kice, a spokeswoman for the agency, adding that ICE is aware of concerns in the region.

We’re sensitive to those issues and we’re seeking to address them,” she said.

An initial 140 migrants had been expected to arrive in Murrieta on Tuesday afternoon, Long said, followed by arrivals every 72 hours for several weeks. The detainees are primarily children accompanied by mothers or fathers. They were to be processed at the Murrieta facility before being placed under the supervision of ICE agents who would ensure that they were united with family throughout the country, Long said.

This year, Border Patrol agents across the Southwest have detained more than 52,000 unaccompanied minors, with a particular concentration along the Rio Grande border in Texas, according to federal records.

Protesters in Murrieta block busloads of detainees
    Federal officials will appear at a town hall meeting in Murrieta this evening after buses carrying immigrant detainees were blocked by a wall of angry of protesters.
    Because of this influx, officials are sending migrants to Border Patrol facilities in less heavily trafficked areas, such as Southern California, for processing and supervised release by ICE agents.

By sending migrants to the Murrieta facility, the federal government is not properly enforcing immigration laws that require immediate deportation of undocumented immigrants, Long said.

But, according to the mayor, public safety officials were fully prepared for the arrival and have established an information hotline that residents can use for updates on the transfer.

“I can say, without equivocation, Murrieta will remain safe,” Long said.

Murrieta is one of several cities whose facilities will receive migrants as the government seeks to lessen the burden on the Texas border. Migrants will also be sent to a border patrol facility in El Centro, in neighboring Imperial County, as well as a center in New Mexico, which has also caused lawmakers there to protest.

In his comments Monday, Long emphasized the temporary nature of the new arrivals.

“There is not, and never has been, any intention to release these immigrants locally out the front door of the Border Patrol office,” he said.

Protester Roger Cotton, 49, drove up from San Diego to wave a flag outside the Murrieta Border Patrol Station.

"I wanted to say that I as an American citizen do not approve of this human disaster that the government has created," Cotton said. He said he believes the migrants who were supposed to be dropped off at the station would be a burden on an already strained system.

"Who’s going to pay for them?" he asked. "What kind of criminality will happen?"

Cotton, who works as a 3D animator, said he blames Democrats for not doing more to secure the border.

"The Democrats are making it easy for them to come here so they can produce more Democratic voters," he said.

Cotton arrived shortly after the bus was blocked and turned around. He said he decided to come to Murrieta on his own accord and was surprised to find other protesters there.

He stood with a group of them on the side of the road, chanting "USA" and sparring with a group of counter-protesters who had come to support the immigrants.

Lupillo Rivera, 42, was one of them.

A well-known Mexican banda singer who came to the United States at age 4, Rivera said he was driving by when he happened upon the protest at the Border Patrol station. He said somebody shouted that he was an illegal immigrant and should go home. Rivera, who is a U.S. citizen, went home and returned with several of his friends and bandmates to confront the protesters.

"Our people cook your food," he shouted at them. "We didn't ask for them to come here," one protester shot back.

Rivera, brother of the late Mexican singer Jenni Rivera, said anybody who would turn away a busload of children was "not human."

"It doesn’t matter where a child is from," he said. "He deserves respect and help because he’s a child.

"How can a 5-year-old defend himself?" asked Rivera, who lives in Temecula. "I don’t think we should push a child out of our country."

As light faded over Murrieta, protesters continued their verbal sparring.

Protesters supporting immigrant rights waved Mexican flags and shouted slogans, while across the street, a smaller group of protesters opposed to the immigrants’ arrival waved American flags. Murrieta police patrolled Madison Avenue, which was closed to any further vehicle traffic.

At an evening City Council meeting, officials praised protesters for the lack of violence but assailed the federal government for what they say was a pattern of poor communication and inaction.

“We need to fix this permanently,” said Long, who had issued a call Monday for citizens to contact their elected officials to protest the move. “Today was a Band-Aid. The only people with the power to fix this are in the federal government.”

Other city officials expressed concern over how Murrieta, with a population of just more than 100,000, would house several groups of immigrants during processing.

City Councilman Rick Gibbs, who toured the Border Patrol facility where the immigrants were to be held, had reservations about the space. “This is a jailhouse,” he said. “This is not a hotel. It is a spartan facility.”

Gibbs also doubted whether all the detainees would comply with the government requirement that they report back to an Immigration and Customs Enforcement office within 15 days of their initial release.

“We're going to dump a bunch of people at a bus station, hope they get somewhere in the United States of America, and somehow in 15 days, they are going to respond and come back?” he said. “Everybody knows that 95% of them are never going to return.”

Councilman Harry Ramos agreed.

“You would get fined if you dumped off a dog in the street here in Murrieta, but that's what they are doing to people here,” he said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...ry.html#page=1
    tl:dr version: The Texas border facilities are having overcrowding issues so they are shipping illegals to different border patrol facilities in Southern California and New Mexico for processing. This has caused a fear from residents that they will simply process them and release them and tell them to come back in two weeks for their hearing and deportation which of course they will not.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Why is Obama allowing illegal immigrants to stay, instead of enforcing the laws of the land and deporting them?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uux7G3RoIZ...0/Removals.png

oh

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Is it bad that I read that in Plinkett's voice?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I just find it hilarious that the Pro Immigration protesters are going around saying "It's Un-American to turn a child away" and making this all about the children. I can undertand why people are pissed off about this. Hell, a friend of mine was killed by an unlicensed illegal driver and over the course of 2 years it took to get the guy deported we found out that he had two prior DUI's and various other convictions under his belt beforehand. Sometimes shit is just messed up.

get on with your bogus arguments

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    I just find it hilarious that the Pro Immigration protesters are going around saying "It's Un-American to turn a child away" and making this all about the children. I can undertand why people are pissed off about this. Hell, a friend of mine was killed by an unlicensed illegal driver and over the course of 2 years it took to get the guy deported we found out that he had two prior DUI's and various other convictions under his belt beforehand. Sometimes shit is just messed up.
    lol one illegal immigrant was bad, better step it up and deport them all.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

American citizens never have prior DUIs.

Are you for real?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    American citizens never have prior DUIs.

Are you for real?

American Citizens that have prior DUI's usually have their license suspended, and if they get a DUI while driving without a license, it's usually a misdemeanor which can carry up to a one year jail sentence. Let me tell you the full story and maybe you can see how the system failed and how much of a bad egg this guy really was. This guy who was an illegal from central america was driving without a license in 2010 and was pulled over and charged with a DUI. He plead guilty and was given a 3 year probation, a $1500 fine, and ten days in jail. The terms of his probation was that he was not to drive without a license.

Fast forward to May 2012 where he was arrested again this time on suspicion of DUI and driving without his license which violated his probation but he was let go. Two months later, he made a left hand turn trying to beat oncoming traffic and slammed into my friends motorcycle as he was on his way to work killing him instantly. He later admitted that he had been drinking that night but they took blood samples well after the crash happened and the toxicology came back negative. The thing that sucked for the first responders was this was someone they knew and worked with at Dispatch. There was a lot of anger when the court proceedings because the judge told him that his actions took the life of another human being and he responded through a translator saying something along the lines of "I don't have the ability to take life, that is something that only God can do. He can give life and he can take it away, God put him on his motorcycle so it was God's decision". He basically had no remorse for his actions and guess what? He was only sentenced to 90 days, but he got a 56 day credit for time served while waiting for his court case, so after being sentenced, he only had to serve 30 days. My friends mom had to fight nail and tooth to get him deported afterwards and it took 18 months for it to happen. The point is, after the first or second time, don't you think someone in this situation should be deported?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The point is, after the first or second time, don't you think someone in this situation should be deported?
    No, he should have been put in jail the second time.

And fuck off with this shit.
    He was only sentenced to 90 days, but he got a 56 day credit for time served while waiting for his court case, so after being sentenced, he only had to serve 30 days.
    He served all 90 days. It's stupid that he only got 90 days, but don't act like it was less than that when it wasn't.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    No, he should have been put in jail the second time.

And fuck off with this shit.
    He served all 90 days. It's stupid that he only got 90 days, but don't act like it was less than that when it wasn't.
    Not acting like it is less, just that when you look at it on the surface it does feel shorter when you do not take time served into account. I know there have been cases where time served overlaps with the sentence in which the defendant is immediately released.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Not acting like it is less, just that when you look at it on the surface it does feel shorter when you do not take time served into account. I know there have been cases where time served overlaps with the sentence in which the defendant is immediately released.
    Yes, because they already served their sentence, and possibly more. You are acting like it's less. Best case it's exactly the same length, and worst they actually spend more time waiting in jail than they even get sentenced for.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

American Citizens that have prior DUI's usually have their license suspended, and if they get a DUI while driving without a license, it's usually a misdemeanor which can carry up to a one year jail sentence. Let me tell you the full story and maybe you can see how the system failed and how much of a bad egg this guy really was. This guy who was an illegal from central america was driving without a license in 2010 and was pulled over and charged with a DUI. He plead guilty and was given a 3 year probation, a $1500 fine, and ten days in jail. The terms of his probation was that he was not to drive without a license.

Fast forward to May 2012 where he was arrested again this time on suspicion of DUI and driving without his license which violated his probation but he was let go. Two months later, he made a left hand turn trying to beat oncoming traffic and slammed into my friends motorcycle as he was on his way to work killing him instantly. He later admitted that he had been drinking that night but they took blood samples well after the crash happened and the toxicology came back negative. The thing that sucked for the first responders was this was someone they knew and worked with at Dispatch. There was a lot of anger when the court proceedings because the judge told him that his actions took the life of another human being and he responded through a translator saying something along the lines of "I don't have the ability to take life, that is something that only God can do. He can give life and he can take it away, God put him on his motorcycle so it was God's decision". He basically had no remorse for his actions and guess what? He was only sentenced to 90 days, but he got a 56 day credit for time served while waiting for his court case, so after being sentenced, he only had to serve 30 days. My friends mom had to fight nail and tooth to get him deported afterwards and it took 18 months for it to happen. The point is, after the first or second time, don't you think someone in this situation should be deported?
    After someone commits a crime? Sure. I imagine that the majority of the pro-immigration people would agree. However, to imply that this kind of lassiez-faire enforcement only applies to undocumented immigrants is laughable, considering how friendly our country is to unskilled and/or drunk drivers in general. That, and it doesn't apply to the majority of people, not to mention the majority of undocumented immigrants.

You "understand" how these people feel? You agree because of one case? Idiotic.

I know someone—an American citizen—who was deported and banned from a country after stabbing someone there. (I'm not making this up, either. It's as real as your tale.) We better bar every US citizen from ever taking up residence somewhere else, stat. Turn in your passports. We're all just as likely to use them as an opportunity to attack their native citizens.

American Citizens that have prior DUI's usually have their license suspended,
    Stopping you right here because Noooo-oooo-ooo-hooo hooo hoooo they usually don't. Wife was hit by a driver with 3 previous DUIs, he almost killed her, her sister and brother in law in a head on crash. Was intoxicated during the crash, still has his license because "he needs to support his kids". Had a few friends have DUIs in NY, none of them had their licenses revoked even after 2 or more pullovers. This isn't even counting the people who get DUIs, DO get their license revoked and then drive ANYWAYS while drunk because...they are drunk and don't give 2 shits. if you're getting a DUI, chances are you have a drinking problem..do you think you're going to suddenly go "Hmm I need to stop all of this driving and drinking now that I don't have a card with my face on it!" after kicking back a few at the bar?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Nothing you have said would have changed had the guy been a U.S. Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Nothing you have said would have changed had the guy been a U.S. Citizen.
    Other then skin color and a love of soccer.

Seriously though, doesn't matter if they are illegal or not, people are gonna be shitty no matter what. Oh the illegal shot your friend over an argument? How is that different then if he was "native"? Stop looking for people to blame for fucking EVERYTHING. Shit happens in life.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Stopping you right here because Noooo-oooo-ooo-hooo hooo hoooo they usually don't. Wife was hit by a driver with 3 previous DUIs, he almost killed her, her sister and brother in law in a head on crash. Was intoxicated during the crash, still has his license because "he needs to support his kids". Had a few friends have DUIs in NY, none of them had their licenses revoked even after 2 or more pullovers. This isn't even counting the people who get DUIs, DO get their license revoked and then drive ANYWAYS while drunk because...they are drunk and don't give 2 shits. if you're getting a DUI, chances are you have a drinking problem..do you think you're going to suddenly go "Hmm I need to stop all of this driving and drinking now that I don't have a card with my face on it!" after kicking back a few at the bar?
    I am sorry that this happened. You do bring up a good point though as my assessment of DUIs was incorrect since I based it solely on a few cases specifically a friend of mine who got his license taken for a year due to a DUI. I am probably looking at the immigration issue the wrong way because of my bias I can admit that. My question though is can anything be done? Constructing a huge wall as some people I know have suggested is a stupid idea and it always gets brought up. Is there any way to change or streamline the process for America Citizenship for immigrants?

Tons of ways. How many ways in order for 'Muricans to be OK with it? None short of streamlining a bullet into their heads at the border crossing or instant deportation.

I am sorry that this happened. You do bring up a good point though as my assessment of DUIs was incorrect since I based it solely on a few cases specifically a friend of mine who got his license taken for a year due to a DUI. I am probably looking at the immigration issue the wrong way because of my bias I can admit that. My question though is can anything be done? Constructing a huge wall as some people I know have suggested is a stupid idea and it always gets brought up. Is there any way to change or streamline the process for America Citizenship for immigrants?
    Honestly nothing can really be done to STOP immigration. America has always been open to immigrants and our economy is based on them in a lot of areas for low level work (because they are doing jobs no one wants, not stealing CEO positions). Mexico is a shit hole with all the cartel crap going on, so of course they will flock here. We could offer aid to Mexico...but that will be absorbed into cartels and corruption. USA doesn't give a shit about it's own poor people though, so why would they ever care about another countries

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

you want to help them then go help them just don't send me the bill and demand that I pay more then I already do to cover the costs.

share if you want to share if it helps you sleep if it helps you breath but don't come over here and piss on my gate save it just keep it off my wave.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

"The Democrats are making it easy for them to come here so they can produce more Democratic voters," he said.
    That part made me lol in the office.