1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 20 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 39 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 12 hours, 20 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 21 hours, 39 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good classes for console players

Howdy,

I started playing about 3 weeks ago and am having a blast so far. I chose to try out summoner first but I'm worried that since I'm on ps4 I'll have problems later on. I was a hunter in WoW and I know that good players of pet classes require good management of pets and pet placement, and well...I'm having a lot of trouble with this via console. Also I can see the 16 button main hotbar being very limiting later on, and using multiple hot bar configurations in the heat of battle seems like it would just cause me to press the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Basically, does anyone have any tips or tricks to make this easier? Or can someone recommend classes that work well for console players as opposed to PC? Or should I really just practice more? I'm worried practicing more and even getting it down would still put me a step behind a PC summoner of the same skill level.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Character Settings -> Crossbar Settings
    -> Toggle mode
    -> Expanded hold controls

Will go a long way to avoiding having your hands tied in knots.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I play with controller on PC and main SMN. It's not too bad honestly. I don't know if it's all the same with PS4 vs PC controls, but if so, there are some things you can do to make your life easier:

I personally do not use expanded hold controls. For cross hotbar, I have controls set to Hold. Under Sharing, I have hotbar 8 shared between all jobs which has my global commands such as mount, teleport, return etc. I just leave it enabled all the time for sprint and mount, but if you really want it out of the way during battle you can always disable it under Set selection > enable customization for when weapon is sheathed / drawn.

I have 2 full xbars for SMN, which only gives me 3 sets to flip through using R2 so it's really not bad at all. I'm never late on anything as long as I'm paying attention.

For targeting, "Enable target cycling" under Character config > control settings > filters is amazingly useful. I have L1+triangle set to target PCs and NPCs only for healing purposes and L1+circle set to target enemies only. L1 + square reverts back to targeting all.

Honestly as a controller user I don't feel any slower than the kb users I've met, but I had a beast of a time setting it up just right to something useful that I was able to get accustomed to so I feel your pain. The schematics are a bit twisty but they will do the job for you in the end. Rest assured that it is totally feasible to play a good SMN with a controller. Then again, I haven't done any big endgame stuff like CT or Coil yet, so I may not be doing on controller all the crazy top-tier elitist dpsing some others around here do XD I have no doubts that I could learn to do it efficiently using controller schematics, however - it's customizable enough.

I play on the PC with a controller and I've never had any problems so far with any of my classes. I have PLD, MNK and BLM at all 50 with no issues. With careful use of macros and the expanded hotbars you shouldn't experience any difficulties.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

PLD works great for consoles.
    In dungeons you have a max of 6 buttons if you're feeling lazy
    1-2-3 combo
    Shield Lob for Pulling
    Flash/Circle of Scorn for AOE hate

Make sure Shield Oath is on (another button) though
    And if you need to use your cooldowns your healer sucks

But, if you die because you never used your cooldowns, no one's gonna really notice. So... you can get away with not using them.

Yes I am promoting bad/lazy play, but in general no one will complain if you keep hate

I play on PC with PS2 controller, with the exception of WHM and SCH, I play all my classes with a controller. For WHM and SCH, my left hand is on the controller for movement and also accessing the D-keys for my basic spells and my right hand is on the mouse.

I've got a guide in progress that I'm working on purely to give ideas on how one can play on a controller, I'll post it here Soon™

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    For WHM and SCH, my left hand is on the controller for movement and also accessing the D-keys for my basic spells and my right hand is on the mouse.

I've got a guide in progress that I'm working on purely to give ideas on how one can play on a controller, I'll post it here Soon™

Do not do this.

I play every job on controller. Just set your bars up right, use macros to consolidate space and help sub-targets and you'll be fine. The only job I need to use the L2<>R2 is SCH, otherwise I can fit everything on 2 bars.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ah the guide doesn't include how I play WHM/SCH lol, it's not explainable lol and nor do I encourage people to do so. It's purely preference/comfort reasons and is a combo of button pushing and clicking. The guide is just a simple aid to give people ideas on what they could do with their bars, especially Vita players.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Ah the guide doesn't include how I play WHM/SCH lol, it's not explainable lol and nor do I encourage people to do so. It's purely preference/comfort reasons and is a combo of button pushing and clicking. The guide is just a simple aid to give people ideas on what they could do with their bars, especially Vita players.
    Would be interested to read it, make sure you put that out there when it's done.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

BRD,PLD,DRG,BLM are all extremely controller friendly.

I play on PC with a controller but can play those 3 jobs at a top level without touching my keyboard. SCH,WHM,WAR,SMN I always end up using my keyboard in some fashion. (I don't play MNK)

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I legit never had a problem playing with the hotbar. I have every button of every line memorized and each class I actively play ranges from 2-3 bars. Just make sure you don't share bars or if you do have a share bar for sprint/emotes/mounts/etc use like bar 8 or something that you would never fill up to. It just takes getting used to I suppose

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I play sch main. I think the "hardest" controller jobs are the pet classes because of getting used to the pet bar and placing the pets everywhere. While it was a bit of a learning curve, it's become so second nature to me now it's completely a non issue.

However, I must say healing people outside of your party in an alliance setup can be a pain in the ass with the controller. So if you plan on doing frontlines a lot and don't want the headache, don't choose healing.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The L2+R2 button bar is a lifesaver. I didn't even know this existed. An extra 8 buttons will probably be all I need so I'll probably map both combinations to the same thing so it doesn't matter what order I hit them.

Also the L1 targeting thing is awesome. I was wondering why I couldn't target people that were not in my party and helping me on fates. Now i know why.

I play summoner and white mage with a controller on ps4. It required figuring out how to setup my cross hot bars just right. I have a heal cross bar and a harm cross bar. They toggle via a macro that simply toggles cleric stance and then switches to the 'other' hotbar.

The macro that is on the heal crossbar looks like:
    Title of the macro: "Attack Hotbar"
    /macroicon "Cleric Stance"
    /ac "Cleric Stance" <me>
    /chotbar 5

The macro on the harm crossbar is nearly the same - except /chotbar 4

My preferences are set to have crossbars 4 and 5 active all the time - this gets me a quick swap between them without cleric stance.

I also have the common commands on hotbar 8 - so L1->R1 gets half of them and R1->L1 gets the other half - so choco summoning and such are all there.

It does take a while to figure out exactly what actions should go where. I have a couple of common buttons - like cure and Stoneskin are on both harm and heal bars in the same spots.

Once you get the controls setup for how you play then using a controller works wonderfully. I tried a keyboard and wow - that did not go well at all for me.

This is my first mmo and I started with ps3 - so I got used to controller actions and working on my setup just took time to get it right for me.

There are long discussion threads on the lodestone about HUD set ups and cross hotbar configurations and why people set them up as they do... I found them useful to learn what could help me.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    However, I must say healing people outside of your party in an alliance setup can be a pain in the ass with the controller. So if you plan on doing frontlines a lot and don't want the headache, don't choose healing.
    Oh good, I'm not just retarded then. I had a RL friend over a couple of weeks ago that we were bringing into XIV, so I got on the PS3 and went to heal him during some fighting and FATEs (stayed outside PT). Healing him was fairly easy, but healing randoms was a chore. Couldn't figure out/remember how to change targeting modes, and the targeting kept reverting to Other, and then if I dropped target, 2 seconds later it'd go to All.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I play sch main. I think the "hardest" controller jobs are the pet classes because of getting used to the pet bar and placing the pets everywhere. While it was a bit of a learning curve, it's become so second nature to me now it's completely a non issue.

Fuck healing other PT, let their healers work!

Does anyone happen to have a good website for macro basics? Like I see the macros people are typing and can figure out kinda what they do in general but the parts of them (like /ac) make no sense to me since I don't know what it stands for.

It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Good classes for console players

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Does anyone happen to have a good website for macro basics? Like I see the macros people are typing and can figure out kinda what they do in general but the parts of them (like /ac) make no sense to me since I don't know what it stands for.
    /ac is action

So
    /ac "Jump" <t>

same thing if you played XI for like /ws /ja etc

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDizzle View Post
    /ac is action

So
    /ac "Provoke" <t>

same thing if you played XI for like /ws /ja etc
    I hereby propose that we never use "Provoke" and "XI" in the same post again unless that post is talking about how it's not the same as in XI.

I'm sure you spend enough time as it is straightening that shit out.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    I hereby propose that we never use "Provoke" and "XI" in the same post again unless that post is talking about how it's not the same as in XI.

I'm sure you spend enough time as it is straightening that shit out.
    Unless i missed your point, he never said voke was the same in XIV and XI

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Unless i missed your point
    Ya think