Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There is an effort/cost trade-off, absolutely. If something is 50% easier but costs 15% more, that's worth it. Depends how trouble-free the pods are.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

the pic archi posted is exactly what i meant, but you can also get a tow-dolly if your car is FWD. anyway driving it really isn't a big deal. you just need to be aware of your vehicle's capabilities and limitations, and drive accordingly. what exactly concerns you about it? for a trip that long, obviously, you want to make stops every few hours. that's why i suggested making a road trip out of it. if you stop for the evening in a nice place, go look at some touristy shit, then stay in a hotel, it could be quite pleasant.

I'm confused, though: how are you going to get both cars down there without driving in two separate vehicles? fly back? you could rent a uhaul, put one car in the truck and another on a trailer! hah! then send all your shit with a moving company.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Only taking one car, I don't know how the second car came up really, lol.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    No, I was responding to archi. I assume rent a flatbed meant renting a flatbed trailer that I would drive?

Or are we talking the attachment on the back of a uhaul trailer? That makes me a bit nervous.
    Attachment to the U-Haul. I tossed my Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) on a flatbed trailer behind a U-Haul when I moved from Nashville to Charlotte five or so years ago and again when I moved Charlotte to DC. It was fine and I had to drive straight through the Smoky Mountains on the first move which have some serious grade issues and curves on said grades. Just take it fairly easy; I still drove like 70 most of the time. All-in cost was like $600 excluding gas; paid a couple guys like $100 to unload my stuff when I arrived. Fairly painless really and super cheap.

I don't understand how you're getting quoted $2200 for U Haul? Seems pretty steep.

I did a Uhaul from Chicago to LA with towing my car behind it. It was incredibly easy. Just don't park in a spot that you have to back out of if you've never towed something. Did it in a straight 26 hours with a partner driver switching every 5-6 hours.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kiehl View Post
    I did a Uhaul from Chicago to LA with towing my car behind it. It was incredibly easy. Just don't park in a spot that you have to back out of if you've never towed something. Did it in a straight 26 hours with a partner driver switching every 5-6 hours.
    This is really underrated advice if you actually pursue this path; I backed up at one point on my first trip and triggered the emergency trailer break without knowing it. Took me like 20 miles to realize something was off and call to figure it out.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Friend did Pack Rat pod for a 1 bed apartment full of crap. It was $3500 I think for FL to CA. I think her stuff was in transit for about 2 weeks total. Her friends and I packed the pod. Most of her belongings were intact including glass for her entertainment center and her TV all sent safely. Her friends did a shit job of stuffing the pod. I guess you could say it should have been worse but the fragile stuff was in more or less spots that wouldn't shift.

And yes you can arrange with the company to have a someone overlook the pick up.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

$2200 is because I'm moving pretty much across the country. It's 1650ish miles, so, yeah.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Only taking one car, I don't know how the second car came up really, lol.
    series of misunderstandings.

well with only one car the uhaul/trailer/tow dolly will work. sounds like you'd really rather not use that method even if you have to spend a bit more. preference has its own weight, and with a distance like that it's certainly understandable. but i have no experience with moving companies, so i can't help you there. if you load the stuff yourself, just try to fit your shit together tightly, like a puzzle. helps keep things from falling over and breaking en route. the less room it has to shift the better. and you want the heavy shit on bottom. put big stuff in first, then fill in around them. small heavy stuff on bottom layer, then lighter stuff, then on top you can throw garbage bags full of pillows and bedding and that sort of thing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Well I'm very interested in people's different experiences / prices / etc.

Just the more I talk it over the more it seems that the ~300 dollars I save on a truck is going to be mitigated by an extra night in a hotel / aggravation of driving a truck. Not sure it's worth it instead of enjoying a drive through the south in a 2 seater.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

none of the questions in this thread have moved me in the least.

Where in MA?

If you need an extra set of hands in moving some stuff, I might be able to help out (depending on the day/time).

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    http://northparkauto.com/truck_towing_car.jpg

And it's even better because your GF can drive behind you and let you know if anything is funky with the trailer (flat tire, strap coming loose, whatever).
    Lol I imagined the GF driving behind in the car on the flatbed

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    Where in MA?

If you need an extra set of hands in moving some stuff, I might be able to help out (depending on the day/time).
    New Bedford, I don't think I'm too far from you and that's very nice. I'm pretty sure I have enough hands for the MA end, it's the LA end that's gonna suck lol.

25min drive, my one-way commute is longer!

Sounds good, let me know if otherwise then.