BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Moving questions

So, as with most important things I tackle in real life, I'm very far behind on setting up my move.

I'm moving to Louisiana in a few weeks (need to be there for Aug 18th, can't move in until Aug 20th) from Massachusetts and I have a fairly significant amount of crap. I'm leaving behind stuff like couches, selling my washer / dryer, and trying to keep it to a reasonable amount, but at the end of the day it's still a decent amount.

I'm moving 3 TVs, computer, 2 desks, queen size bed, and pretty much everything else can be boxed up (clothes, kitchen / bathroom shit). Problem is, I haven't started looking at quotes from moving companies until today. The online quotes (sight unseen, haven't spoken to anyone in person) are in the range of $4000-5000. This I guess is for them packing shit up for me, which I don't want to happen, but I was hoping some of you might know the realistic amount I might be looking at?

My backup plan is obviously a Uhaul truck, but my very short girlfriend would need to drive it as she can't drive my manual FR-S (and I'm not hooking a trailer to an FR-S). This isn't really an option I like due to driving 2000 miles in separate cars, making more stops (because driving a truck sucks) and generally making slower progress.

Ideally I want to find a way to have some moving company pick up my stuff when I'm already on the road (having someone here to supervise obviously) but don't want to be bent over a table or have all my shit broken. So BG, any suggestions?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

rent a uhaul and a flatbed trailer, park car on trailer, strap it in, and make it a road trip. stop and visit places, etc.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    rent a uhaul and a flatbed trailer, park car on trailer, strap it in, and make it a road trip. stop and visit places, etc.
    This is probably the best advice for your situation. I take it your girlfriend doesn't have a car? I packed everything I owned into a Sentra when I moved from Miami to Los Angeles, and just bought a bed and furniture when I arrived. An FR-S is obviously a bit smaller, but yeah.

BG Level

You're looking at like $1850 to tow from Boston to New Orleans with a 17' (medium) uhaul and car trailer, plus gas. Better than 4-5k - but you have to reason whether the stuff you can't fit in your car is worth the $1850, or is it just better to buy what you need when you get there.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Bane pretty much nailed it. This would easily be your best option. All U-Haul offices carry towing/tie down straps. In most cases they are also willing to show you how to use them. They will not secure your vehicle for you though so don't ask. They do not want to be held liable for any potential damage etc.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Orrrrr, postpone your move 6 months and get your girlfriend that leg extension surgery they give to short folks.
    Because realistically women cant drive sticks. Evar.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Why is putting my car on a flatbed better than driving it? Still leaves the problem of having to drive two different vehicles.

Also she drives a mid '90s mustang soft-top. Between the two of we can probably fit 3 pairs of pants in our cars.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Why is putting my car on a flatbed better than driving it? Still leaves the problem of having to drive two different vehicles.

Also she drives a mid '90s mustang soft-top. Between the two of we can probably fit 3 pairs of pants in our cars.
    I misunderstood. You're taking both your ride and hers?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

No, I was responding to archi. I assume rent a flatbed meant renting a flatbed trailer that I would drive?

Or are we talking the attachment on the back of a uhaul trailer? That makes me a bit nervous.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

No, it's an attachment that U-Haul rents out. They will hook the trailer up to the back of your U-Haul and you're on your way. I would honestly be nervous about it as well. That's a hell of a long ass drive you're making.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

if you can find a way for me to get up there/back lol I'll help; don't got shit but time brah

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Shipping the FRS from Boston to New Orleans is around $1k.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Lol I appreciate it.

At this point, I'm also trying to factor in gas. Looks like it might be about $500 in gas for the Uhaul truck, so like $2250 minimum just to transport my shit. (I have a tempurpedic queen bed, that's pretty expensive to replace)

It's making me curious about this http://www.uhaul.com/UBox/

Says it'd basically be $2,600 for 1 box and I don't have to handle the driving / gas at all, but I also don't get my shit for 9 days. Also, the box seems fairly small (8' X 5' X 7'6" (LXWXH) )

Not sure that'll fit everything tbh. Moving sucks.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Or are we talking the attachment on the back of a uhaul trailer? That makes me a bit nervous.
    Yes. People do it all the time, it's really not a big deal.

http://northparkauto.com/truck_towing_car.jpg

And it's even better because your GF can drive behind you and let you know if anything is funky with the trailer (flat tire, strap coming loose, whatever).

Sea Torques
    BG Level

You could look in to freight companies like ABF. They have an options for cross country moves. Basically they drop a trailer at your place and after you fill it, they'll pick it up and drive it to where you are moving to.

I'm not sure of the cost but I had a neighbor you moved from Utah to Boston that way.

BG Level

Don't be a pussy.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Hada View Post
    You could look in to freight companies like ABF. They have an options for cross country moves. Basically they drop a trailer at your place and after you fill it, they'll pick it up and drive it to where you are moving to.

I'm not sure of the cost but I had a neighbor you moved from Utah to Boston that way.
    We were just looking into this (upack.com, seems to be ABF) and the quote is like $2,250 which is exact same as uhaul + gas except we don't have to drive a truck. That's pretty attractive.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Tyche also alerted me to Penske, which after entering my AAA code, is $300 cheaper than Uhaul and their trucks have mp3 jack / cd player.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

get a pod, the last thing you want to do is drive a fucking uhaul 1500+ miles

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    get a pod, the last thing you want to do is drive a fucking uhaul 1500+ miles
    I was initially going to suggest one of these, but I've heard those are usually more expensive than movers, so if he wants to save money...