+ Reply to Thread
    Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Crunchyroll Premium worth it?

So, I just started using the site for Sailor Moon Crystal, and I see a lot of other stuff on there including Fairy Tail Series 2.

Is the premium account worth it? How bad are the ads? I only saw 3-4 in the episode of Sailor Moon Crystal I watched. Is this the standard?

The only benefit I see of the premium account to me at the moment is that I can link my Samsung Smart TV to it and watch in HD on it.

What are some opinions and experiences. Thanks,

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

no ads on premium, if you dont mind waiting a week late for some, not all, of the anime, then I guess it's worth it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It's like 6 bucks for just an anime membership. I think it's worth it just for the fact that I can watch high quality episodes on my phone.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

They also added Chromecast support recently if you have one of those.

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

Hulu has a lot as well

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Interesting that you have to have premium to link to your TV. My Visio has the app built-in on the Web Videos application and much of their content is searchable on it. The only thing I noticed that I can't find in the list is One Piece.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Okay.

It does say something about being able to earn crunchy bucks that you can put towards a free month. What are the special actions required by me to earn those? Is it something like watch this new anime and review/recommend it to others, or visit this 3rd party site and check out their program?

Also, just to make sure. The offerings for shows are the same to all members right? The site doesn't act like netflix and region lock content right?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalhart View Post
    Okay.

It does say something about being able to earn crunchy bucks that you can put towards a free month. What are the special actions required by me to earn those? Is it something like watch this new anime and review/recommend it to others, or visit this 3rd party site and check out their program?

Also, just to make sure. The offerings for shows are the same to all members right? The site doesn't act like netflix and region lock content right?
    For the most part, you can earn free crumbs by doing things that will earn CR some money through advertisements. Right now, many of the offers consist of registering an account for free-to-play browser-games and the like and playing at least once.

The shows offered vary by region, though; for the most part, the US get the most shows, with some notable exceptions (last season, NO-RIN and Broken Blade were not available there. Not sure which ones are affected this season.). That being said, at least in Germany, the amount of shows available has increased tremendously; it used to be so bad that I cancelled my account there after growing increasingly unsatisfied, but the past few seasons have been great.

Additionally, simulcasts are great, though they might not matter too much depending on where you live. Still, they should be among the fastest subs available.

Also, obligatory guest passes:
    T4N4R4XPYM6
    SR6EAUGNQ8M

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

>2014
    >Streaming anime

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I have it for PS4 just because it allows me to be a bit lazy and when I want to start a show like HxH I don't have to download 140 episodes one by one because only shitty subbers have batches.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

The console/and phone apps are really nice. I use the android app constantly, I watch shows in my car on my lunch breaks sometimes or when I'm doing stuff around the house away from a TV/monitor(cooking dinner, folding laundry, etc). The playback is smooth even with medium-level connection, it absolutely wrecks other video apps that I use often. It's definitely been worth the money to me.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I'm impressed with the quality on mobile devices, something not easily found short of downloading the series. If you're ok with that then save your money otherwise give it a shot.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Awesome info. At the moment, I'm playing around with the app in my iPad. It's pretty good. I did notice that there are two subscription prices, so I may go with one over the other. I think one is like $6CAD/month. I'm just going to check out the app a little more to see if I want to shell out some dough per month. I'm pretty patient, so the only benefit I see for t e paid service is being able to watch on my TV.

I'm also contemplating subscribing to a site like unlock.us because I can't get any of the DNS servers I used to use for netflix to work on my WDTV anymore. I'm guessing I could use the same setup to get around the region lockouts on this site if I felt like it.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

If you only want anime get the cheaper option, the more expensive one covers the live action shows (and I think manga?)