+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fed Ex charges for customs on top of shipping cost? And then charges 25% more markup?

Just got a bill from Fed Ex for $22.50 for my monitor going through customs. I ordered if off Amazon, was free shipping included in the price so I figured that covered all this sort of stuff. Total for monitor was $300ish.

Customs only charged $16 but Fed Ex tacked on another $6.50 as an "Advancement Fee" whatever the fuck taht means.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thebalan...e-unfair/3411/

Found that blog.

Anyone else had to deal with this? Was totally unexpected lol.

Oh also, this bill from Fed Ex has come 2 weeks after I received the monitor lol?

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

No clue but amazon has pretty good customer service, tell them your order said free shipping and the carrier they choose to ship it to you with ended up charging you; and amazon will probably give you your money back.

Honestly, it's between Amazon and Fed Ex not you and Fed Ex, so let them deal with it

http://www.craig-west.co.uk/2008/11/...rges_by_fedex/

Also found this. I don't believe I agreed to anything in terms of charges for shipping through customs, i'll have to contact Amazon and double check what's going on.

Amazon does have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201119100

The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to such import taxes, customs duties and fees, which are levied once a shipment reaches the recipient's country. Additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by the recipient; we have no control over these charges and can't predict what they may be. Customs policies vary widely from country to country; you should contact your local customs office for more information. When customs clearance procedures are required, it can cause delays beyond our original delivery estimates.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yup that's the best way to handle this.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    http://www.craig-west.co.uk/2008/11/...rges_by_fedex/

Also found this. I don't believe I agreed to anything in terms of charges for shipping through customs, i'll have to contact Amazon and double check what's going on.

Amazon does have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201119100
    in that case, you may just be fucked then. I've ordered international more than once though and never gotten stuck w/ additional charges

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Seems odd they delivered the package without collecting the money.

Can't you just tell Fedex to get fucked?

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Remind me to ask any third party on Amazon if they're using Fed Ex, esp if they are international. Ugh, that's a sneaky charge ><

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Will need to check if the custom duty part is handling by fedex directly or another logistic courier. The extra charge may happens if it is processed by another party.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Seems odd they delivered the package without collecting the money.

Can't you just tell Fedex to get fucked?
    Looks like what they're doing is paying the customs up front themselves, then charging $6.50 for that service without even asking you lol. Incredible.

MaachaQ

Whenever I've gotten international shipments from Amazon (ordered from the US to Korea), they always had a "customs duty deposit" added to my bill before I finish the transaction. 9 times out of 10 I get about half of that deposit amount refunded, because customs officials either didn't claim it or they asked for a lower amount than Amazon charged me. Seriously, getting a bill weeks after the package has already arrived is pretty messed up, and Amazon customer service should be able to at least give you advice on what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Looks like what they're doing is paying the customs up front themselves, then charging $6.50 for that service without even asking you lol. Incredible.
    Yeah this pretty much it lol. I mean it's only $6.50 but that's quite the fucking markup they are doing and charging tons of people i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MaachaQ View Post
    Seriously, getting a bill weeks after the package has already arrived is pretty messed up, and Amazon customer service should be able to at least give you advice on what to do.
    That is how UPS and FEDEX work when you have an account with them (Amazon has the account with them). You do not get the actual bill until a couple weeks after it ships. That being said, I'd just tell Fedex to go fuck themselves since they delivered the package.

I'm looking at the page right now on Amazon on my account, after putting the same monitor in my cart. It just says

ORDER SUMMARY:
    Items: $349
    Shipping and Handling: $0

Total before tax: $349
    Estimated tax: $0

Total: $349.

No where does it say anything about customs/charges. There is a link for tax/seller information that makes no mention of "Hey this is from Korea, you gotta pay for customs!". If you follow like 3 links you finally arrive at that text I quoted above, but who the fuck is going to go searching for that shit?

Also no mention in Amazon's terms of use/privacy notice.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

In the UK, if you receive something from any other country, you can spend up to something like £17 or £18 before you get charged customs and VAT. In your case, I would have automatically assumed I'd be charged because of the value, unless when you placed the order, mention was made in the invoice of the fees. Out of curiosity, what country were you shipping to/from?

<3 that VAT. When I buy from Europe and ship to the US it's almost like getting a discount lol. The websites I buy from (in the UK mostly) list prices with VAT included. I don't have to pay VAT, and that shit makes up a large portion of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Laugana View Post
    In the UK, if you receive something from any other country, you can spend up to something like £17 or £18 before you get charged customs and VAT. In your case, I would have automatically assumed I'd be charged because of the value, unless when you placed the order, mention was made in the invoice of the fees. Out of curiosity, what country were you shipping to/from?
    From Korea to US.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4405115&sr=1-1

Items Ordered Price
    QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27" LED Monitor 1 of: QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27" LED Monitor
    Sold by: Stylebang (seller profile)

Condition: New
    Compatibility with NO Macbook, Laptops and On-Board graphics cards cou... see more
    $323.89

Item(s) Subtotal: $323.89
    Shipping & Handling: $0.00
    -----
    Total before tax: $323.89
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    -----
    Total for This Shipment: $323.89
    Stylebang not even listed now lol...and after digging through their site I found they DO have something talking about paying customs, but no links or any notice of anything. Shady to me.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Customs are your responsibility, not theirs. The only thing that is wrong here is the $6.50 fee from fedex.

Customs are your responsibility, not theirs. The only thing that is wrong here is the $6.50 fee from fedex.
    Not really what's being said here.

I have no problem paying customs when i'm told I have to pay customs before hand. I've ordered shit from Taiwan and other places before online and never had to, since the cost was always roped into either Shipping/Handling or the overall price.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It isn't their responsibility to figure out how much you will owe either. It's yours, and it always is.

It isn't their responsibility to figure out how much you will owe either. It's yours, and it always is.
    Oh ok, I thought that was the point of the checkout when ordering something. I'll add it up in my head from now on!