BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ram Upgrade Issue

So I decided to upgrade the RAM and put in a SSD on my outdated laptop (Dell XPS L701X). Not even got to try putting in the SSD yet because when I install the RAM, I end up in an infinite boot loop.

The RAM is supposedly compatible with my laptop (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cmso8gx3m2a1333c9) but when I install it, it just restarts instantly when it reaches the 'Starting Windows' splash screen. Every boot option results in the same thing happening. The BIOS recognizes the RAM when I open it up (although has the speed listed as 1066 instead of 1300). If I slot my old RAM back in, it works fine. Voltage and RAM timing is supposedly identical between the two (my BIOS doesn't display this, just googled it to check)

Any idea what the issue could be or what I could try? The BIOS menu leaves very little for me to mess around with (none of the RAM settings are edittable and it doesn't even display everything)

Thanks

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Few things to try, but maybe a stick is bad.

Tried one at a time? Can also try mixing it, one new stick with one old one. Does safe mode work? Could also try a logged startup, where everything is echoed to the screen as it loads. Do you have another machine with similar ram type to try with, or know someone with one? Have any boot cds or live cds to try out (hiren's, some linux live cd, or an antivirus rescue disc like kaspersky's)?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Going to second trying to boot off a live cd, might just be windows not liking the change for whatever reason. (though that's pretty strange to have happen with ram)

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One at a time doesn't work, gives a BSOD.
    Mixing them with old RAM makes it freeze on boot up instead of looping like it does with both in
    Safe mode doesn't work

I'd actually tried all those before but retried just now anyway. Going to try boot up CD now as that was something I hadn't tried.

If it weren't plastered all over the internet that it's compatible with my laptop I would be convinced it was incompatible RAM.

EDIT: Yeah boot up CD doesn't work either.
    EDIT2: Judging from diagnostics it seems that both of the new RAM are damaged. It just seems hideously unlikely that both would be faulty though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    One at a time doesn't work, gives a BSOD.
    Mixing them with old RAM makes it freeze on boot up instead of looping like it does with both in
    Safe mode doesn't work

I'd actually tried all those before but retried just now anyway. Going to try boot up CD now as that was something I hadn't tried.

If it weren't plastered all over the internet that it's compatible with my laptop I would be convinced it was incompatible RAM.

EDIT: Yeah boot up CD doesn't work either.
    EDIT2: Judging from diagnostics it seems that both of the new RAM are damaged. It just seems hideously unlikely that both would be faulty though...
    I actually had this issue when I ordered ram sticks through Newegg to upgrade my pair (8g->16g) The pair they sent me were faulty, exchanged them for new sticks, those sticks were ALSO faulty.

I couldn't believe that both sets were faulty, but upon further investigation, I had concluded that it was something to do with the lack of a version number (my older sticks had a version number on them, whereas the ones I ordered from Newegg did not; both were the same model).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, it's entirely possible a pair of sticks are faulty. (for reference, I was also using Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145315). When I ordered the model through Amazon, I had zero issues (ver 5.3 or something).