• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Steam account hacked and recovered but wait... there's more.

So...

My buddy's son's steam account was hacked about a month ago and it took this long for it to get recovered through contacting steam and verifying credit cards and purchased histories and what not. When he got the account back was surprised to notice none of his son's inventory items were removed and the hacker hadn't played any games or did anything except on the day of the hacking made a $470 bank deposit into his son's steam wallet.

He of course told steam about the extra funds and this kind of baffled us both. I thought maybe the guy made the deposit so that he could try and recover it in the future saying he made a deposit into the account but even that seems far fetched.

Is anyone versed in the hacking nature of steam accounts and could maybe shed some light as why someone would deposit that much money into an account that they stole?

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

only thing I can think of is a money mule. when accounts in XI and WoW would be stolen, people would get them back and find obnoxious amounts of money on them because they were being used as mules. In this instance its cash and has a chance of getting the account locked down of a chargeback is done. I would have valve take the cash off because it doesnt belong to the owner. Hopefully they dont lock the account down.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Hes in the process of trying to get Valve to remove the money but he was notified many times that it can take several days (a week in his experience) for a Valve Rep to get back to him.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Can you look into the account's market history? My guess would be that's where the money came from. Though I wouldn't know since I never add funds to my wallet unless I need tickets for MvM.

Market history can be found at: http://steamcommunity.com/market/

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

He did look into the history of where the money came from and it was in a single deposit to the wallet.

BG Level

Hmm. I didn't even think that was possible.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

That's why that amount was really suspicious. Supposedly you aren't able to deposit that much at once.

Maybe he made an error looking at it but he said it was a one time thing that wasn't a market transaction. I don't know.

BG Level

Yeah, that's very suspicious. According to Steam you can only get them i 5/10/25/50/100 dollar increments. That's why I was going with the market thing.

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Long shot; but could the funds have been placed in the wallet from a different country whose exchange rate is different?

Edit: it converts to roughly 350 Euros

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I don't really know. Steam got back to my buddy and they didn't tell him anything other than thanks for reporting it, the funds were extracted and his son has his account back without having to worry about something happening down the road... hopefully.