1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 18 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 18 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontline General     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Just a n00b question, but how does the game prevent people from AFKing in either Frontlines or normal PvP? I didn't want to make a whole new topic for it so I thought I'd ask here.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Basically, if you're doing absolutely zero input (what would normally trigger you to get the afk mark when idling), that's about it to my knowledge.

Only way to kick someone is if your entire team is in the base also, at least until 2.35 arrives next week.

So you could technically do some stuff, but then AFK for like 90% of the match after that? Sounds ripe for abuse. I guess you could always report people who are doing that, but what if they go off in a corner somewhere and you don't notice? Or there is so much going on that you don't even notice the person idling.

Then again, emergencies do come up, so maybe there shouldn't be strict rules about idling/non-idling. If you see the person doing it repeatedly it would be another matter though.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I've seen people run off to a corner of the map and just spam C1 on themselves for the duration of the match.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quick question too, didn't wanna make thread.

So I saw a linkshell BLM in some sweetass wolf gear (ilvl90). She pvped a lot prior to frontlines tho. Question is whether I can obtain said gear via frontlines only? Don't mind the grind.

Here's something I've seen during FL. Party A and C go to their respective Allagan base. Face two parties from opposing GC. People of my GC bitch on /a on how this GC has no tactical players etc. Half the party decides to just AFK and jump every 30 seconds to avoid the auto boot.

Edit: @stig yea FL gives wolf marks. But morale does nothing in there so it's just for glamour outside FL.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Aye I want it for glamour. Thanks for response!

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    Here's something I've seen during FL. Party A and C go to their respective Allagan base. Face two parties from opposing GC.
    Your B party should be going with either A or C at the start of the match to help them take their post for exactly this reason.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I don't generally like doing that because it's very easy for B to forget to go to mid in time. If A/C is getting hit by 2 parties, that A/C party should gtfo and get their outpost instead.

As long as the B party stays just long enough for some shock and awe and help take down one of the other group's healers (not wasting valuable CDs and such) it can work fine, they just need to know when to book it for the center with enough time to get there.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

It's actually a pretty bad strat and we counter it nearly every single run, as it only works against uncoordinated teams(which yes, is most of the teams but beating pugs is easy). I won't go into details on everything we do to counter it, because hey, I don't want everyone knowing our strats! The majority of the time we see it though, we watch as two B teams scramble to get to top and we just knock them off the ramp or sleep and kill them one by one, and then take every drone virtually uncontested.

Yea, you might be able sway the tide on the point but if a team is smart, they just fall back and either take your OP or pick off people over extending and wait until the extras leave.

Knowing how to avoid getting cockblocked on ramps is part of the game.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

There isn't really a way to avoid it when a full party is already on top and waiting. We split up with 1-2 BRDs and a sleeper on each ramp, so people can either try to get past us and fail, or run away. Knock off the healers if possible, then just kill the dps easily. The only time people make it up is if we screw up.

There's nothing stopping an enemy BLM/BRD from doing the same thing to your people watching the ramp, all it takes is a few seconds for a MRD to sprint up there and mythril tempest to clear the way for everyone else or a tempered will PLD from rushing up and shield bash locking your people.

If you only run with premades and you're well coordinated you're going to be beating other teams either way, but no plan is guaranteed (except a party full of healers holding a post, I guess).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Nobody is gonna knock us off cause we aren't standing by an edge, lol. It's pretty easy to sleep/bind a war/pld but honestly, they can't stun all of us before we knock some people off and since most of the groups arrive JUST in time to get drones, if they have to stop and wait to fight their way up the ramp, they already lost mid.

As I said, yea, sending extra ppl to the flanks works against uncoordinated teams but it's still a bad strat and easily countered in many ways.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

It's easier to look down than up though. There's a lot of subfactors even in that specific example you gave (can Shadowbind the MRD and knock him off, will probably hit his buddies too if they're not slowing). A lot of the sub-strats we've been using do kind of rely on us being premade but specifically for ramp-camp we don't really coordinate aoe binds+sleeps for Blast Shot even through voip (if we did it would probably be even better). Will usually just Blast the first biggest group and kill off stragglers. Could definitely do that even in a random party if everyone was at least up top.

Never said they had to knock you off, but a BLM rushing up with swiftcast sleep + nightwing and a BRD blast shotting 1 or 2 of you away from the ramp is more than enough time for people to rush in.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Except we see them before they see us and have already slept/blast shot them off by the time they think about it, lol.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Actually curious, will Manawall stop the knockback from Blast Shot? Kind of useless knowledge since the window would be pretty tight with autoattacks factored in.

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    Except we see them before they see us and have already slept/blast shot them off by the time they think about it, lol.
    Your range is no farther than theirs, just because you have an easier time looking down on them doesn't mean they're not smart enough to look up.

I detailed the very tactics you're describing on the first page of this thread, I know how they work and I know they're not fool proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast