Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Aside from Rune Factory, I can't think of a game that has this many elements implemented into it.

On the bright side due to the huge sales in Japan when this game first came out we can expect more of these from Level 5 who confirmed to continue this IP.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Galois Evariste
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'll have to pick up Rune Factory 4 when I get through all of this game.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galois View Post
    I'll have to pick up Rune Factory 4 when I get through all of this game.
    Oh man, when you do, come see me and we can talk about how amazing Rune Factory 4 is. XD

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Galois Evariste
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

How do the other Rune Factory games stack up to 4? Are they worth picking up? I'm really intrigued by this type of game now.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

RF 1 and 2 are okay. Definitely get RF3, its my absolute fav.
    As for the console ones, I've never played Frontier but Tides of Destiny was freakin' awesome. A close second for me.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Rune Factory Frontier is the only one I advise not to get. Despite it being good, I feel that a lot of the Runey system frustrates people. It can be ignored but...

Rune Factory 4 is very close to this game. Rune Factory Tides of Destiny comes with my second advisement.

In order of how I feel they stack up from best to worst:
    RF4 = closest thing to Fantasy Life
    RF:ToD
    RF3
    RF2
    RF1
    RF;Frontier

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Galois Evariste
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thanks for the recommendations! I might go ahead and pick up RF4 this week just to have it, but I've got so much more Fantasy Life to play in the meantime.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I actually liked Frontier, and hated Oceans/ToD.

Yeah the runey system is annoying, but once you get a hang of it, it makes farming so much faster that it's worth the maintenance.

ToD, on the other hand, I just could not get into at all. The cast of characters was rather bland and uninteresting, and I didn't dig the whole ocean exploration thing. The "wave a wand" farming aspect also turned me off quite a bit. (The priest character was also rather offensive, although that doesn't really detract from my overall feelings about the game. It's just one more small minus among the others.)

As for the numbered games, they pretty much get better with each iteration. Definitely highly recommend 4. Easily the best.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Good to know about 4.

So this one (Fantasy Life) is definitely worth picking up, then?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Galois Evariste
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I say it's definitely worth picking up. The only thing that I don't like is that the story text drags a little much for me at times. I thought the translation and writing were really good, but there were times when I had just had enough of the story.

The gameplay is very addicting to me; I feel like there is so much to do on so many of the lives that I can easily sink hours into it without realizing how much time has passed.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Galois View Post
    I say it's definitely worth picking up. The only thing that I don't like is that the story text drags a little much for me at times. I thought the translation and writing were really good, but there were times when I had just had enough of the story.

The gameplay is very addicting to me; I feel like there is so much to do on so many of the lives that I can easily sink hours into it without realizing how much time has passed.
    This can't be emphasized enough. The game is very good but holy shit it's wordy. They do give you a way of quickly scrolling through the text. I don't need an npc's entire life story just to do a quick hunt quest.

I also have to second the losing track of time. There's so much to do in this game and it really scratches my mmo itch. It takes just a tiny bit of effort to get a lot done in this game and its really addicting to me because of that.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Anyone a fisher that can get me an Antenna Lantern? I don't want to level up fishing just for this last Alchemy thing I need. I can probably make you something if you want.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

My copy came in this weekend and I've spent maybe ninety minutes with it so far. Seems like there's going to be a metric shit ton of content to chomp through. I started as a miner and explored one cave, then ran around like a skippy mcnotalk with two bounties and no idea how to turn them in, because who listens to butterflies? I'm doing the mercenary opening now since chipping away at frogs and plants with a rusty knife seemed like a bad idea.

How cautious should I be about allocating stats? I'm only level 5 and dumped everything into Strength so far, though Luck always tempts me in games that let me choose. Should I go about unlocking everything, or just focus? I'm probably going to unlock everything anyway because there doesn't seem to be any real penalty for not doing so, and seeing "You cannot do Action because you are not Life" drives me nuts. Fishing holes! Trees! Must collect everything!

It's been a long time since a game had me this drawn in after just an opening.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

You can allocate the stats whichever way you want--there's a way to reallocate stats later on.

I personally always unlock all the jobs or at least I unlock all the non-battle class ones. I constantly want to do everything in the game like you said so I can't help but do it XD

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

I'm already hoarding all of my ore to be able to forge it when I get around to Blacksmith. Is there any reason to actually do the opening storyline for licenses besides seeing the writing? Mercenary gave me the option to skip, which I declined, but I'm wondering if opting in would just give me what I needed faster.

Can't wait for work to die down a little bit. It's the day before a holiday, so I'm going to get paid to mine for fish this afternoon.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

They each take about 20 min to complete, and are incredibly repetitive. Combat, gather, and craft each follow the same formula. You do something basic, then omg must do something more challenging, then ta-da!

Only upside is the introduction to the life's characters which is why I went ahead and did all of them.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Yeah, I'm currently enjoying the writing and tongue-in-cheekiness of most of the bits so far. Duglas' lexdysia can get fucked, but I'm pleased so far. I was a little surprised to see my cutesy actiony-RPG open with a story of infidelity, but hey! Happy endings.

Combat seems fun. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't just "mash A" when fighting the frogs on that first cave; With a little experimenting I was leaping in and then attacking on the way out. Made for fun bits of counter/riposte/run when there were multiple enemies.

My only "complaint" so far is how choppy the animated cutscenes are.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

The first time I played through, I did the Life's when I needed them.
    Julian's right, they are repetitive. It's kind of a hard juggle they had to do where they wanted to make sure each life had characters + story + make you feel like your class is important and not less than the other classes.

My second character though, tooootally skipped it.

This is easily one of my most favorite games now on my 3DS. It's like a bitesized solo MMO. XD

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

The speed at which they were introducing mechanics felt like a rollercoaster. "Here's your level! Stats! Bliss! GOALS FOR MINER! GOALS FOR BUTTERFLY! HERE'S A WHOLE BUNCH OF SIDEQUESTS! GO, DO EVERYTHING GO DO IT NO WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT ALSO OTHER LIFES"

I'm hoping I'm in for the long haul. You can definitely see the framework of Level 5's now-deceased MMO project here.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm at "endgame" if anyone needs anything I can help with. Got 6 or so lives at god level so I can probably assist with some stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast