+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

it'll be interesting to see what happens if it goes to court.

On the one hand, I feel like the photographer should own the rights to the photo since he's the one that created the circumstances leading up to the photo, kind of like a photographer that sets up various camera traps that takes pictures automatically. After all, if it wasn't for the photographer, the picture wouldn't exist in the first place - but on the one hand, the monkey did press the button herself. Although legally, an animal can't own a copyright.

It does beg another question; what about those elephants in thailand that paints? Who legally owns those paintings? The elephants?

That being said, awesome monkey selfie is awesome. Taking selfies is an instinct!

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    On the one hand, I feel like the photographer should own the rights to the photo since he's the one that created the circumstances leading up to the photo, kind of like a photographer that sets up various camera traps that takes pictures automatically.
    By that logic, you can argue that the camera manufacturer owns the copyrights, or that god does. Setting a camera to take pictures is not the same thing as giving someone a camera so they can take a picture (or bringing it nearby and letting them steal it, as the case may be).
    After all, if it wasn't for the photographer, the picture wouldn't exist in the first place - but on the one hand
    It also wouldn't exist if (insert an infinite number of other events) didn't happen either. That doesn't give him copyright.

the monkey did press the button herself. Although legally, an animal can't own a copyright.

It does beg another question; what about those elephants in thailand that paints? Who legally owns those paintings? The elephants?
    As you just said, an animal cannot own a copyright. Therefore either no one owns it, and it's public domain, or i guess if the elephants are owned by someone, then whoever that is would own anything they produce.

If the photographer deleted the photos, would anyone be able to make a case to sue him? Or if he went and told people about it, but refused to share it, could people successfully sue for him to release them?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

No, because it's his camera. Being public domain also does not obligate him to share it.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

dat monkey