Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Calling bg gays: Question about the "h" word.

I learned today that LBGT find the word "homosexual" to be an extreme insult, but that "gay" was ok.

NY piece on it:

mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/fashion/gays-lesbians-the-term-homosexual.html?referrer=&_r=1

I found it rather interesting because all my life I have heard gay being an insult and homosexual being the pc term.

I know there's a lot of LBGT people on bg, so I figured I'd ask if in your experience how true (widespread among the community) it is. I am surprised I have never heard of it until today. I have used homosexual a lot because I thought it was like the proper scientific term for it. But I definitely don't want to step on toes.

Another thing I heard was that "queer" is now ok, but I don't think I could ever get into the habit of using it.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

thread title made me think you were going isla on us

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    thread title made me think you were going isla on us
    LOL, nah, I'll edit it to try and clarify. I could see how it could be seen as that.

Offensive terms are now acceptable and acceptable terms are now offensive. There's just no pleasing some people.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Homosexual the literal scientific definition of the sexuality preference (akin to "asexual" or "heterosexual"); I don't think there is a more PC moniker. That said, after living in DC for three years and meeting many gay friends, I've found that just not using a moniker period is the way to go. Socially, there generally hasn't been much need to make it clear that said person is of a certain sexual orientation. In academics / sociological analysis / etc. where the delineation is required, heterosexual is the moniker of choice from what I've seen.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I would guess calling them transgender would be the most scientific and PC way of saying that a person is gay. Being from a science background, gay has always been the slang term and has the more negative connotation compared to homosexual.

And I always thought "queer" was one of those words that they can only use within the transgender community just like "nigger" and its derivatives for the black community. I would never use that word since 'queer' has always been a negative identifier. Gay still is a negative identifier, but it's growing more neutral as the LBGT community is becoming more socially accepted.

I also don't care about the sexual orientation of people in general though so I don't sling those terms around much. Gender identity and race doesn't make anyone more or less a person.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It's really just a context thing tbh. You have no reason to be overly formal/technical describing someone in a social setting, bit abstract. It'd be like a guy addressing you as female, which is just weird

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

This goes well with people that get upset about the word retarded. Sup with that

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I was so worried about this thread.

Keep sucking cocks, we're all good here.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

None of em offend me. Even faggot doesn't offend me. If you say homosexual and some queer gets offended than they can go in the corner and bitch more. It all depends on the person and it's not up to you to know who is sensitive to the word or not. You could say the word gay, queer or homosexual (all of which are pretty PC) and a group won't care yet be with another group who will go bananas on you.

This proper word usage is garbage. There is no right word to use for a group and it needs to be handled on a person-to-person basis as some use potential slurs to empower themselves. I'm a huge proponent for reclaiming words instead of telling people they can't say it. I'm probably a minority in the gay community though which is why I don't delve too deep in it

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn
    It's really just a context thing tbh. You have no reason to be overly formal/technical describing someone in a social setting, bit abstract. It'd be like a guy addressing you as female, which is just weird
    This is basically it. It's awkward, that's all. It is the descriptor most commonly used by detractors, yes, but a gay person would probably think you were adorable for respectably saying "homosexual" before they'd believe you were using it negatively. It is, however, 100% true that "homo" has always been considered insulting, which is part of the reason there's that whole fervor over the "no homo" phrase.

What's weird, though, is your thinking "gay" was a derogatory term—I've never known that to be the case, and historically, I don't think it has been. While bigoted individuals may have employed "gay" as a slanderous word, I do not believe it has ever been considered offensive to gays themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    I would guess calling them transgender would be the most scientific and PC way of saying that a person is gay. Being from a science background, gay has always been the slang term and has the more negative connotation compared to homosexual.
    No. You're conflating gender identity with sexual orientation. Being gay does not mean you're transgender. As such, "gay" is fine. The negative connotation you're talking about is due to people using the word hatefully, not due to the word itself being inherently bad.

Quote Originally Posted by synistar
    And I always thought "queer" was one of those words that they can only use within the transgender community just like "nigger" and its derivatives for the black community. I would never use that word since 'queer' has always been a negative identifier. Gay still is a negative identifier, but it's growing more neutral as the LBGT community is becoming more socially accepted.
    This is also wrong.

Historically, and unlike the word "gay," "queer" was absolutely considered a pejorative term, but it hasn't been that way for over thirty years. That, and as you were with the first-quoted comment, you're allowing deliberately negative usage to color your perception of a word. Saying "gay is still a negative identifier" is not only wrong because it already wasn't, but is additionally wrong because it isn't now either, and "queer" is also fine.

Quote Originally Posted by synistar
    I also don't care about the sexual orientation of people in general though so I don't sling those terms around much. Gender identity and race doesn't make anyone more or less a person.
    Whitewashing does not make you a more tolerant person. It's considerably worse to say "people are people" than it is to recognize that we're a diverse society. This type of statement is similar to saying "I don't see color," and it is not helpful.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...is-form-racism

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

In many countries proper term is Homophile

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's 2014, people will get offended regardless of what you say.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    It's 2014, people will get offended regardless of what you say.
    Most people won't, because most people don't have radical overreactions to ordinary interactions. This doesn't mean it isn't important to be considerate.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Personally, I'm not offended by any of them. Like someone said before, it depends on the context. Adding the word "Fucking" before any of them makes it a lot more offensive, even though I personally don't really care about it.

Honestly though, living in Sweden I don't have much problem with it. People don't really care if you're anywhere on the LGBTQG or whatever scale. Now that I think about it though, if someone asks me, or if I tell someone about it, I ususally do refer to myself as "gay" over "homosexual". Ususally people ask "Are you gay?", and not "Are you homosexual?", but I suppose that could simply be because saying "gay" is easier than saying "homosexual".

The only time I've ever ran in to problems being gay was surprisingly during gay pride, where I was not allowed to have my extremely stylish pride flag face paint at a club, because it would apparently offend straight people.

Also;
    This proper word usage is garbage. There is no right word to use for a group and it needs to be handled on a person-to-person basis as some use potential slurs to empower themselves. I'm a huge proponent for reclaiming words instead of telling people they can't say it. I'm probably a minority in the gay community though which is why I don't delve too deep in it
    This I agree with 100%. I always say the same thing, and I always get flamed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post
    Weird? Yes. An insult of any kind? Not really, unless you have an adams apple and short hair with stubble on your chin.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Weird? Yes. An insult of any kind? Not really, unless you have an adams apple and short hair with stubble on your chin.
    To be fair, I have seen a few people who I was not sure what sex they were. It didn't help that one person's name was Kelly...

I've not found homosexual to be offensive, although i agree being called homo raises a red flag for me that the person is probably hostile. That said, being asked if im homosexual raises a yellow flag for me thinking the person may or may not be hostile to gays but is trying to be polite, or has very little experience knowing someone who was gay.

I've never been offended by being called gay myself, although calling ::things:: gay or a situation gay tends to make me wince. I usually just joke about not associating me with such things.

Being called the F word on the other hand, tends to elicit an evil eye from me, though thats because i was bullied as a kid and called that word all the time. (and this when i was still a christian and before i hit puberty, so it was an even nastier blow to discover i really was into guys at the time.)

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I generally just say gay; and only when it's relevant to the conversation.

Guy friend: Your friend Samantha is cute, is she single?
    Me: Yes, but she's gay.

Fuck that Political correct bullshit. I'm not gonna say homosexual, queer or anything else. Just call it what it is. It's like the people who try to call me African American while I'm sitting there, face-palming

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I generally just say gay; and only when it's relevant to the conversation.

Guy friend: Your friend Samantha is cute, is she single?
    Me: Yes, but she's gay.

Fuck that Political correct bullshit. I'm not gonna say homosexual, queer or anything else. Just call it what it is. It's like the people who try to call me African American while I'm sitting there, face-palming
    You're clearly Asian-American. We all know that.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast