+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Translate Addon     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Okay, that has been fixed. Sorry~! It was caused by the deletion of the spell_recasts resource.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Thx a lot man!

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quick help for people looking for their FastCast boots and Wings:

Code:
    ウォンテッド = Wanted (Battle)
    トンボ = Dragonfly
    コスト = Cost - often used to summarize the total Accolade cost of the fights. Like 2 fights will be cost 4000 for Imperator

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Hmm I'm surprised nobody ever noticed but I think you mixed "yes" and "no" in your translate addon. I've joined several JP runs lately and everytime the leader asks "Ready?" everyone answer "no" and we go! So either they all aren't ready but the leader doesn't care and go everytime, or they all try to make fun of us using this addon or last solution is that you mixed yes and no

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

It's probably picking up "un" or "n" as no.
    Code:
    うん, ん
    Which are another form of "yes" like "mm-hmm" or "yeah" in english. There's also "ai" which people will sometimes type instead of "hai."

I'd have to see the original text to know for sure.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Re: Psykopat
    I have not actually added "yes" or "no" to the dictionary. I left that entire section of Captain Howdy's guide unadded, but I can go through and do it now. You're probably seeing the 'no' katakana being translated. My impression is that JPs are very averse to saying "no" in the first place and will almost always use some more circuitous method to tell you to fuck off.

Other questions:
    1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

I forgot to address this post before, so here we go:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Is there anything about Translate that would cause messages to appear late? Ever since show original came to live, I've left it on just to catch anything out of the ordinary (should we bother posting those here, or think the thread will get too congested with "wuts dis??") and quite often I'll get [Original]: spaghetti, and anywhere from 2-30 seconds later the translated message will appear. The higher delays tend to happen around zoning, attributed them to such. Still seemed strange that the client would received the original message, but take so long with posting the translation.
    This is an artifact of the way windower handles packet injection. Because I wanted the translated text to pass through all the normal events, I chose to inject incoming chat chunks instead of directly adding the text to the chatlog via add_to_chat. Incoming chunks are only added to the incoming packet if there is space, so when you zone or do something that causes a lot of incoming packets, you can end up delaying the injected packet.

They seem to use short hand or just flat out different words for most details during combat though, those tend to come through as a garbled mess, if they're translated at all. Lots and lots of party comments go untranslated, sans adding 1-4 instances of PUP, although I understand that's a barrier to the language/addon.
    This is also more of an issue now that they've added Unity. Whatever JPs say in /u almost always goes untranslated. Making a conversational translator is beyond the scope of this project as currently designed, but I might consider trying to find a free translation API online and communicating with it using LuaSocket when I have time.

Speaking of a mess, is there anything to keep in mind about some of the random words that pop in, auto translated or otherwise? I've seen dame, ru, kaosu, asa, nya, (Midare) and many others that I've forgotten or didn't SS.
    I have no qualifications that I know of for the untranslated romanji that pops up. That's just a direct translation between katakana and the romanji afaik. If someone finds a problem with it, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by psykopat View Post
    Hmm I'm surprised nobody ever noticed but I think you mixed "yes" and "no" in your translate addon. I've joined several JP runs lately and everytime the leader asks "Ready?" everyone answer "no" and we go! So either they all aren't ready but the leader doesn't care and go everytime, or they all try to make fun of us using this addon or last solution is that you mixed yes and no

haha that's quite funny.

The katakana for the letters "NO" is
    Code:
    which they just use as "raising my hand" after someone asks "Ready?"

Just gonna go over these 2 quick, the rest seem to work out just fine on what they are about:

Code:
    応龍
    Means Ouryu.

Code:
    少女の傀儡
    Literally "Girl's Puppet" > Puppets in peril (whereas Girl is written as "small woman")

This JP wiki page has the names of all Phantom Gems and BCs:

http://wiki.ffo.jp/html/30404.html

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Thx for the answers ^^ It's no big deal but it was really funny to see the entire alliance answering "no" and then we still go in lol I was a little like "wtf???"

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Five new ones:

What does "No THF" mean?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Code:
    Tenzen written in Hiragana. 

てんぜん

When usually done in Katakana

テンゼン 

Just a style or lazy thing.

Code:
    アビセア ミザレオ = Abyssea - Misareaux

Code:
    ウォンテッド = Wanted

Forgot an "N" in my post about Emperor

Code:
    ノシ (no shi) is part of the smilie, basically a hand in motion waving

Code:
    インカ = INKA = short for incursion
    トリル = Tryl

Just both things written together

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Whatever happened to this, I haven't seen translated text in awhile. Was this addon scrapped or something?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Nope, still works for me. Perhaps make sure it's loaded?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Nope, still works for me. Perhaps make sure it's loaded?
    Hmm, yeah, weird, it was turned off. But I never actually turned it off. Hmm.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Okay, some more phrases that are slipping past:

I'm planning to make this addon translate search comments as well. It won't be doing it at the packet level, so it'll be a little less clean, but it should be possible.

Edit: Okay, the Translate addon now also translates search comments on -dev. Show Original is a little bit wonky when it converts a lot of stuff to autotranslate, but it generally works with the search comments.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Ouch so much, gonna try to hit the key spot for each:

Code:
    カムラ KA MU RA short use for Kam'lanaut
    天輪 is for Stellar Fulcrum

Code:
    ラガンチュア  Largantua NM from Wanted

Code:
    エルド E RU DO   short for Eald'narche

Code:
    フルアラ FU RU A RA  = Full Ally

Code:
    宿星 = Celestial nexus

Code:
    武士道とは = Warrior's Path

Code:
     レベリング = literally LEVELING written in Katakana

アビアルテパド-ル = アビ  アルテパ   ド-ル =  ABI  ARUTEPA  DO-RU = Abyssea Althepa Doll

JP Wiki page for wanted stuff that might help, has some English and JP names:

http://wiki.ffo.jp/html/32285.html

(And the one for merit BC was http://wiki.ffo.jp/html/30404.html)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I added the ones you listed and scanned through wiki.ffo.jp to try and pull out more names. The format for their monster pages is pretty consistent, so I wonder if there's some way I could make a bot to scan all their monster pages and use it to make another dictionary.

Campaign
    BG Level

A bit off topic but asking here because this addon involves the chat windows.

I've split windows vertically with the built-in system, but I'm having some issues:
    1) Voidwatch messages (Player1 staggers the target!!, Voidstone consumed, Yellow light 250%, etc) appear in Window2, which is the default for chat lines. What type of chat line are messages like those? "NPC"?
    2) Gearswap Showswaps messages get split. The Title, begging line and ending line of each set go in "Window2" (the chat messages one), whereas the real items lists go in "Window1" (system messages, battle messages etc)

Anybody know how I can fix this? I'd love voidwatch messages in window1, not in window2. They are "battle" messages, not chat messages. Likewise, I'd love GS messages to appear not split.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Time for a discussion of the distinctions between chat mode and color.

What we commonly call "color" with add_to_chat is actually a variable that encompasses more than just color, which we'll call "chat mode." This controls indentation, color, and (now) which window the output gets printed in. We can use chat mode to affect text output color, but we dissociate color from window. So, say you put shout text in Window 1. I'm never going to be able to show text that's the color of shout text in Window 2. Additionally, we don't currently have access to your filter preferences in the API so we don't know where text will print out (it depends on each person's settings), but we would still have this problem even if we did know.

For print_set(), I make the headers a consistent color with the printed so they all show up in the same window.

Edit:
    Okay, I did this and pushed it live. Now all of GearSwap's add_to_chat statements will be in the same window as your /s "chat mode" and colors will be applied using inline color codes (like how SE turn item names green mid-line).

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Came across these 2 snippets untranslated in shouts. Might help some people doing Mythics in offhours. Had good experiences with them letting you join up:

Code:

エイン = E I N = short for Einherjar
    アンプル = ampoule

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll add it! Also, do you have any insight into why Blade: Chi shows up everywhere? Is it autotranslating some Chi character constantly? I might add that to the blacklist as well.