Thread: Translate Addon     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Translate Addon

Translate is live in a beta form.

This addon currently translates JP katakana using windower's resources and custom dictionaries. I chose to go this route because relying on game resources is more useful than something like Google translate. While Google translate may get more of the filler words right, it often flubs the game-specific nouns that are necessary to know what the heck the shout is about.

How it works:
    When translate loads, it scans over all the resources (and any custom dictionaries) and creates a table that maps JP characters to an EN word/phrase. So 神威 will be translated to "Pentacide Perpetrator" (commonly used in JP shouts to mean DM2), 戦 will be translated to "WAR", and so forth. Then, when an incoming chat packet arrives (say, tell, linkshell, shout, yell, etc.), translate scans the text for characters that match any of the JP characters in its dictionary. If it finds matches, it builds a list of them (organized by length in characters) and attempts to replace them with their EN equivalent in order of longest to shortest (in JP). So "PUP" () would be trumped by "Shall we go?" (行きません).

As a result, you should expect to see Type II mistranslations of very short JP phrases. For example, one thing you'll notice when you use this addon is a constant stream of "PUP" in JP shouts. It turns out that the symbol for PUP's shortened name (ka) also indicates a question. So they're asking something like, "Shadow Lord do you need it?" but it gets translated to "(darkness)(king) symbolsPUP?"

A few notes:
    I'd encourage everyone to accumulate translations (like (watersday)+katakana = Shark Delve) and put them into custom dictionaries (or paste them here). You can submit these custom dictionaries to the repository. With a large enough community effort, we can probably finally make an autotranslate system for FFXI that lets us communicate with JP players.

One common comment I've gotten when people hear that I'm working on this addon has been, "That's nice, but it's a waste of time they'll never invite us anyway." I find this to not be the case. I've not been turned down yet when I offer a job that they are looking for. I've gotten in to a few D BC runs (Shadow Lord / Ouryu / Mithran Trackers / some AAs, and so forth.) I'm not saying the infamous JP xenophobia doesn't exist, but I think it's dramatically overstated.

Future development:
    * I'm still looking to add EN->JP translation (again, this is a beta).
    * There will probably never be outgoing text support because it would be detectable by the server and shooting out nonstandard characters is the single way that people get reliably banned for windower use.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I tried it out, I don't see "PUP" in anything, but I do see "WAR" in every shout. Could there be a connection?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Classikmage View Post
    I tried it out, I don't see "PUP" in anything, but I do see "WAR" in every shout. Could there be a connection?
    WAR pops up frequently too. I haven't asked a native JP speaker yet, but I bet WAR is just another common symbol. I'll add something to the OP to explain why this happens.

Maybe it's not a mistranslation and they really want PUPs to join!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Actually, this phrase is common: 行きません = "I'm not going" from Captainhowdy's guide
    And it's commonly followed by か = PUP

So I kept getting JP shouts with "I'm not going PUP" in them and had to go ask someone if JPs really hated PUPs so much that they had to include it in every other shout. It turns out that "行きませんか" taken together is a polite way of requesting that people join your party, so now I translate it as "Shall we go?"

Relic Horn
    BG Level

The symbol for "WAR" is also used for "FIGHT" when they say how many times they wanna go - like a yell for "Ceizak Delve 3 Fights".

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Were you going to post the translate addon to be downloadable in this thread (in first post maybe so people can get the most recent)? I DLed the one u posted in the windower thread a couple days back, is that still the most recent one?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

The addon is in the repository, so it should show up in the launcher. The one downloaded a few days back lacks a large custom dictionary, I think.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

ah ok ill check there.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

This was one of my very favorite features of the old ffxi app (omg cheater) , glad somebody is working on something like this again. The ffxi app one used google translate, and honestly after you use it a little bit you get used to all the weird translations of the ffxi terms and you know what they refer to. Using that might be a hell of a lot easier and provide better overall translations than worrying about getting the ffxi terms exactly right.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by chiyio View Post
    This was one of my very favorite features of the old ffxi app (omg cheater) , glad somebody is working on something like this again. The ffxi app one used google translate, and honestly after you use it a little bit you get used to all the weird translations of the ffxi terms and you know what they refer to. Using that might be a hell of a lot easier and provide better overall translations than worrying about getting the ffxi terms exactly right.
    I looked into doing this same thing in an add on a few months ago feeding it through google translate but it turns out the google translate API is no longer free or only free to a certain point. If I recall correctly I found Bing might be free but I gave up shortly after and don't remember what else I found unfortunately.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog View Post
    the google translate API is no longer free
    This was another factor in my decision to not try and send text out for translation by a third party.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Seems to be working fairly well. Some shouts still come through untranslated, though I assume that's just the shouter avoiding using any common/known words or slang, the equivalent of an English player's nonsensical shout.

Two things I've noticed, quite a few shouts will have "heide" translated towards the end of the shout. Also, and maybe it's just JPs using COR a lot more than I've seen NAs use it, but I see COR mentioned a lot in shouts, some of which I wouldn't think a COR would be used, like 6 man Daqu or Tojil. Outside of that, really liking it. How would we go about gathering/submitting other common terms used in shouts?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

You could post it here or make a dictionary (same format as the Captainhowdy dictionary that downloads with it) and submit it to the repository on github.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

JP do use COR a lot for low man things from what I've seen but it might just be a different (Ko) being translated as COR. Such as sachi kome which is search comment a phrase that comes up in 90% of JP shouts since that's where they tend to list jobs they want.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shinji Ryukosogeki
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    You could post it here or make a dictionary (same format as the Captainhowdy dictionary that downloads with it) and submit it to the repository on github.
    Dug into some old stuff of mine and found a site I did use to help make some of the guide: FFXI JP Database

Obviously I weeded through it and put the things I knew would be the important aside from the phrases, but it pretty much explains itself when you go there. It has Missions, NPC, Jobs, Events, every item, etc.. helps a lot if you can read Hiragana/Katakana though.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Ya mal post the raw shout here or ask me in game. I will give you more insight. Also the "normal" JP 6 man for Henne is indeed something like 2x mnk/run brd cor whm sch. JP also have their own little abbreviations like:

カザスカ - "kazaska" for Ra'Kaznar Skirmish
    ヴォッチ - "Vocchi" Voidwatch
    バローズ - "Burrows" Meeble

Important for BCs:

ふつう - Normal difficulty
    むず - Difficult
    とてもむず - Very Difficult

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Found this on FFXIAH:

AAEV(むず)ナ狩詩コぼしゅーです サチコメ参照テルください 2/6
    AAEV(むず)PLDRNGBRDCORぼしゅーです サチCORメ参照テル«please» 2/6

Guess Guildworks takes the translated shout and thinks it's a new one.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Probably so, but not really my problem. That's a weakness of the Windower C API that basically won't be fixed on v4.

have you thought of using the bing Translation API??
    http://www.microsoft.com/web/post/us...anslation-apis

or if you really want Google translate here is something
    http://pythonhosted.org/goslate/

here is more
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...-translate-api

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast