+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 153 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Nah the whey protein is just pure protein. I mix it with GNC's lean 25 Rich Chocolate shake. It muddles the chocolate flavor a bit, but it still tastes really good. It's the only one i've tried that actually tastes like chocolate milk.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I used to be a serious wrestler in high school; also played football, lacrosse, and hockey. As a result, I've had a number of shoulder separations that have caused issues with most OH presses. Recently started poking around /r/fit and other places to see if there are any creative alternatives and came across this video:

308lbs in a strict press is fucking unbelievable. Push press maybe, but strict is crazy. I can do like 135. And yes, I know this guy is one of best olympic lifters in the World, but I don't care; still nuts.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Finally did squats last night for the first time since developing severe tendonitis in my left patella tendon ~6 weeks ago. Tendonitis fucking sucks; basically nothing you can do except take anti-inflammatories and wait it out with some stretching / PT-like work. Teamed up with another dude who was also waiting for the free squat rack at the same time. We both settled at 255 for a 5x5 run; that's down ~20-30lbs for a 5x5 from my last height, but not the end of the world. I have to say, I kind of wish I had a lifting buddy; the guy was pretty cool and it adds a good amount of motivation.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    Finally did squats last night for the first time since developing severe tendonitis in my left patella tendon ~6 weeks ago. Tendonitis fucking sucks; basically nothing you can do except take anti-inflammatories and wait it out with some stretching / PT-like work. Teamed up with another dude who was also waiting for the free squat rack at the same time. We both settled at 255 for a 5x5 run; that's down ~20-30lbs for a 5x5 from my last height, but not the end of the world. I have to say, I kind of wish I had a lifting buddy; the guy was pretty cool and it adds a good amount of motivation.
    I'm plateauing at 5x5 of 205. Plenty of sleep and plenty of calories although I'm going to increase intake just in case that is the issue. If that doesn't work I might take a few weeks off to do yoga and stretch in case lack of flexibility is the issue.

It is annoying though, I want my two plates...

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

so... anyone here mess with bulking/cutting? I was trying to avoid the whole concept but the simple truth is my body processes way too many calories to gain weight without trying to gain weight, and yet conveniently sticks at a baseline bodyfat unless I really push myself to get below that point.

not sure if I should bulk or cut first? probably cut... I'm a little chubby right now (thin people chubby, which means that I lack definition but you can still see my abs a little). also I'm not quite ready to jump back into free weights; it'll be at least three or four more weeks before I'm done with P.T. maybe longer? point being it's easier to get cardio in than it is to do strength training right now anyway.

any thoughts from BG's expert fitness panel?

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

so based just on the chart in that video... I'm at 20%ish bodyfat. not overweight but not at all defined/where I want to be...

so basically recomp/cut bodyfat while maintaining bodyweight until I'm comfortable with my bodyfat, then lean bulk. and to do that would require a healthy amount of calories and a cardio/strength training split, maybe with the focus a bit more on cardio for now, folllowed by increasing calories a bit (but not excessively) and shifting the balance more to strength training while maintaining some amount of cardio. that seems a lot more sane and balanced while still providing a path toward the results I want. does that sound about right?

that is basically what I was asking, so that video helped a ton. thanks, bro

GATTACA!

BG Level

I would start lifting right away. I don't know how realistic it is to "recomp" from 20% to ~12% bodyfat without dropping any bodyweight, at least in a reasonable amount of time.

Personal opinion (if I were in your situation), given that you can't lift yet, I would hit the cardio hard and eat your normal amount. You should lose weight doing this given the extra calories burned from cardio. When you can start lifting, get on a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 and start eating around a 500 cal surplus. This is enough for gains in muscle/strength while minimizing fat gain.

I've been tracking my calories religiously since January on a 500 cal surplus and have been slowly but steadily gaining weight, just over the half pound per week that is to be expected. The best part is I haven't looked or felt bloated like I used to with my more hardcore but unsustainable bulk attempts in the past. Big fan of bulking clean(ish) and not doing shit like eating a pint of ice cream.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Yea for starting at 20% I'd do a cut while lifting. Then when you get comfortable then go to the recomping

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

ok sounds good. thanks to both of you! I will be back in this thread quite often I'm sure.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    so based just on the chart in that video... I'm at 20%ish bodyfat. not overweight but not at all defined/where I want to be...

so basically recomp/cut bodyfat while maintaining bodyweight until I'm comfortable with my bodyfat, then lean bulk. and to do that would require a healthy amount of calories and a cardio/strength training split, maybe with the focus a bit more on cardio for now, folllowed by increasing calories a bit (but not excessively) and shifting the balance more to strength training while maintaining some amount of cardio. that seems a lot more sane and balanced while still providing a path toward the results I want. does that sound about right?

that is basically what I was asking, so that video helped a ton. thanks, bro
    just do HIIT cardio for 10-15 mins after each of your strength training you'll be alllrrrighttttttt. Look up "Sprint-8", I love to do it on the recumbent bike. 8 sessions of 30s sprint max effort with resistance , 1 mins 30s rest...At the end of 7th, 8th interval i'd be sweating like a pig and cussing in German.

Cut to 15% BF before you try to bulk up, and do a clean bulk.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

ran out of whey like a month ago, but I didn't buy any more and just go 100% from food, feels pretty good.

E. Body
    BG Level

Similar to Yuri-G, I've been trying to drive my bf% down and bulk afterward somewhat, still look lean though. I lost 30 lbs over the last year mostly just eating right and doing lots of cardio, but since switching to lighter cardio and a push/pull routine a few months ago, i've seen pretty decent results in tone in my arms, shoulders and back, still working on my chest and legs, but the biggest problem is I'm so fucking hungry all the time. I don't know what to eat to keep my appetite sated. i've got a meal replacement shake that i mix with peanut butter that does a decent job, but other than snacking on peanuts, apples/almond butter, chicken breast, salmon and brown rice during the day i still feel really hungry, mostly in the late afternoon and at night. do I need to be eating more or just eating smarter?

GATTACA!

BG Level

What is your caloric intake?

E. Body
    BG Level

I'm around 2000 on days I don't drink. I'm hesitant to up it and keep putting on weight, though if most of what I've put on has been muscle so far I guess I can't worry about it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

add veggies to your diet, less shake & more whole food..meal prep if ya have to

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

down to 166 from 169 in under a week. #feelsgoodman

I know that's mostly because I was above my baseline bodyfat percentage and hadn't been working out or eating right, and I also know that rate of loss is not sustainable... but still.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

could be water weight too, water fluctuate your weight by a lot.

GATTACA!

BG Level

got stitches on the bottom of my foot last week, after limping around for 6 days I went to lift today

foot felt ok but my left leg felt COMPLETELY dead after a warm up set of squats with the bar. really fucking weird feeling. then it occurred to me that since I hadnt been putting much weight on my left foot that I hadnt been using my left quad at all, or something

I probably would have skipped to upper body normally but random bae at the gym was working in with me so I still grinded out my set

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

335 lbs of olympic weight, 50 lbs of standard weight. $150 pickup only.

Talked the guy down to $125 and had him deliver it to my house.

I'm happy about the standard weight. I have about 60 lbs now, prior to this. One barbell (15-20 lbs), and 1 dumbbell handle. Ordered a 2nd dumbbell handle for $7 and now I'll actually have enough weight for dumbbell curls, tricep kickbacks, and seated dumbbell press, so I'm pretty happy about that. (can do dumbbell bench if I use a steep incline, but not enough if I were going to do flat bench)

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag