+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 153 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 ... LastLast
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Anything electronic is pretty inaccurate.

Cheap way to get a really good estimate is skin caliper/taking measurements

Expensive way is that water tank shit

Starting Cycling about a month ago, I think I finally found something active I like to do. Fuck Headwinds goddammit. ><

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Anyone here know how practical it is to lift twice your own weight without steroids? Lifting 300lbs with the big 3 is my current long term goal, but i was worried that whilst reaching that goal i might get too big, but then i thought those guys are probably that big mostly via steroids, but that also brought on the question of whether i could do x2 my own weight without the roids.

While anecdotes are welcome, i would much rather have some hard data on that if possible. I think i can probably push the deadlift to 300lbs, but i have my doubts on the bench and squat.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I'm in the 155lb weight range. Already there for dead lift. Pretty much spot on for squat. 310 doesn't seem impossible. I can currently max 280-285 on bench

Edit: My uncle, who was approaching 50 at the time I lived w/ him was doing 350 lbs for 5 sets of 5 and the only thing I have to go off of for his weight was his arrest record, which clocked him at 156.

Couldn't tell you on squat/dead lift. He did go to a gym, but I only ever saw him workout at home (and we only had equipment for upper body at home)

That said, this man is considered a freak of nature, even by my standards.

This is him at age 58

Still makes me look small. I can only imagine what he looked like in his 20's and 30's. From what my dad has told me, he's been working out his entire life though

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Anyone here know how practical it is to lift twice your own weight without steroids? Lifting 300lbs with the big 3 is my current long term goal, but i was worried that whilst reaching that goal i might get too big, but then i thought those guys are probably that big mostly via steroids, but that also brought on the question of whether i could do x2 my own weight without the roids.

While anecdotes are welcome, i would much rather have some hard data on that if possible. I think i can probably push the deadlift to 300lbs, but i have my doubts on the bench and squat.
    My max squat (from back in decemeber) is 187.5kg/413lbs. Best deadlift is 197.5kg/435.29. I rarely bench, but my best bench was 120kg/265lbs. I can snatch 105kg/231lbs and Clean and Jerk 130kg/286lbs. I weight around 80-85kg/176-184lbs and stand 5'7".

Size =/= strength

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm 5'9" 140lb and I'm decently cut. Not huge. Max squat 300, max deadlift 325 and max bench was 180 (lol). I don't look huge by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, if you looked at me with my shirt off your thought process would be "he probably lifts or goes to the gym. Maybe?" My buddy has a pic of me from behind with the bar on my shoulders as I unracked the 300 squat to max it out about 3 weeks ago

I can't even take protein powder, it fucks with my digestive system so hard that I basically need colon blow to have a normal bowel movement. I just eat a lot of chicken, beef and fish instead and make sure I have a calorie surplus at the end of the day. I go 4 days a week, but I do 3-5 compound lifts for 3x5s almost every time and then bail. If you went harder, you'd see more gains. Double your bodyweight is very possible without any outside help, just hard work and desire.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BfzjSJ-0S_DV92

Actually eat and lift. Lifting 300+ for squat and deadlift should be easy as fuck. Bench will take longer but still not bad.

Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Extremely possible but you're probably going to have to gain weight to do it. If we're willing to talk in absolute rather than relative numbers, I think any adult male should probably be able to reach 3/4/5 plates on bench/squat/deadlift.

I weigh around 155 at the moment deadlift's over 3xBW (500+), squat's well over 2.5xBW (probably in the low-mid 400s), and bench is probably around 1.6xBW-ish but I don't really know because I've been almost exclusively training bodyweight exercises for the upper body this year. Also been trying to lose leg mass and maintain as much strength/power and them but that's tough work. Wanna get under 150, but not sure how feasible it'll be to get much below that.

Speaking of which, it's been a while since I last popped in here so here's a vid & some progress pics:
    Spoiler: show

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Hurray shiro!

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Okay, so I'm setting up a bit of an area in my unfinished basement for some exercise. I don't have a lot of cash to put into machinery, so I'm not going that route. I'm going to start doing a 15-30 minute run a day, and I usually go for a 30 minute walk at lunch and take the dog for a 30 minute walk after supper.

What I have available for the lame, broke ass home gym so far:

2x 3lb weights
    2x 5lb weights
    yoga mat
    large inflated balance ball

I had these from a workout group we ran at lunch at work. I was lucky enough to receive a little bonus from a co-worker as thanks (it's a program we have at work) for $150 and today I got some puzzle floor mat pieces (enough for a 6'x8' workout area) and a door frame lift/pull up bar.

What else would be good to add that wouldn't break the bank? Most of my workouts in the past have been HIIT and resistance workouts. I'm not sure if asking here is that good or not. I think most of you folks are doing weight lifting training.

Thanks,

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

What is your goal?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'd like to get back down to 180lbs (or under) and then maintain. I expect it'll take a while to get there, so plans could change by the time I reach that number. I was at 180 last year but gained 35 or so back by not continuing what I was doing. I want a workout that is hard, but that won't kill me. I was doing pretty rough workouts and not getting any results when I stopped. I should have lessened the workouts to at least maintain and not balloon.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

what was ur diet/nutrition like? if you workout hella hard but not getting any results, most likely it's ur nutrition, not getting enough sleep, etc..Most of the time it's 80% diet and 20% exercises.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah, that was part of the problem. I had stopped tracking what I was eating in MyFitnessPal but still doing the workouts. My plan this time around is to track what I put in with the food scale I purchased today (before I was just ball parking it based on previous entries to MFP) and not tracking exercise. I found I had the tendency to allow myself to eat back the calories I had burned off with exercise.

I had great success for the 6 months I was doing it. I lost 50lbs, I just failed at maintaining. I was surprised that I was even able to come off my thyroid meds. I know this will likely cause a bit of a problem this time around. It may actually be why I had great success the first time around now that I think about it. I usually get some blood work annually and my Dr said that my levels were the same without the minor dose I was on (not to give too much personal info) so I opted to not get a new prescription. As far as I can tell, I haven't felt any effect on my because of it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Intense cardio isn't going to get you where you want to go, you will want to start a weight lifting program. Increasing muscle mass will increase your resting metabolic rate making maintaining a lower body fat % easier. There aren't many people that lose a lot of weight doing cardio, even fewer keep it off.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    Intense cardio isn't going to get you where you want to go, you will want to start a weight lifting program. Increasing muscle mass will increase your resting metabolic rate making maintaining a lower body fat % easier. There aren't many people that lose a lot of weight doing cardio, even fewer keep it off.
    I'm curious now, I thought cardio burned off a vast amount of calories more than weight lifting?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

One way to look at it is that cardio burns calories in the short term, weightlifting burns calories in the long term.

The thing is with cardio, if you burn 500 calories, you burn 500 calories and that's it.

With weightlifting you might only burn 200-300 calories in your workout (effort expended, number of exercises, etc....there are a ton of factors and can be significantly more), but the act of the muscle repairing will continue to burn calories over the course of the day. Then, the process builds on itself. As you increase your muscle mass, you burn more calories keeping the muscles properly supplied every day.

If you had to chose between 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of intense weightlifting every day, in the long run you would burn far more calories choosing a 30 minute weightlifting routine.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hrm, so would the workout routines that are basically 7-10 exercises with a one minute break in between then be considered cardio? Here's an example of what I was doing:
    Code:
    Core workout today, not sure how to track it:

Tracked
    50 jumping jacks - tracked
    10 pushups - tracked
    40 Russian twists - tracked
    10 sit ups - tracked
    20 lunges (each leg) - tracked
    10 squats - tracked
    30 vertical leg crunches - tracked
    30 jumping jacks - tracked
    -
    10 triceps dips - tracked
    10 side lunges (each leg) - tracked
    10 pushups - tracked
    -
    50 bicycles (1 count is both arms)
    50 jumping jacks - tracked

Untracked

:30 superman (hold count 2, 15 times?)
    20 bird dogs (hold 4-8s)

Total time: 30 minutes

I realize, that over time, building muscle burns more calories, what would I need to have at home to go about that route? We have a gym at work, but I don't know that I can make time during my work day to get to it. That's why I was going with trying to create something at home. I may just have to bit the bullet and do the muscle stuff at work, then do other things at home. We have a whole set of dumb bells there, and various machinery to use for weight lifting.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Those are Calisthenics. A power rack, adjustable bench, and an Olympic weight set.

read this too: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Someone like Milkster or CS would be able to better articulate this, but the key attribute of cardio in my opinion is the sustained heart rate. When you do 30/40+ minutes of cardio, your heart elevates and stays elevated for that time.

When lifting, no matter how intense, there are breaks built into your routine to allow your muscles to recover so you can increase what you are lifting in each set. By definition cardio is aerobic and most weightlighting is anaerobic.

Your core workout listed above, if done with no breaks in between may qualify as an aerobic workout, but you mentioned taking a one minute break between each. Furthermore, since it's only 7-10 exercises, you're probably only looking at 7-10 minutes, as opposed to the more traditional view of cardio, which is a 30+ minute period of time.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag