• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Upgrading GPU and would like some input.

Been wanting to upgrade my GPU for awhile now and decided to go with the 780ti. I don't know to much about specs on GPU's but was looking going to pick from these two. Was wondering if anyone could give me some input on these and which they think would be a better choice. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487037

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487003

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

2nd is stock, first is higher end cooling and pre-oced

as far as which one to go with honestly thats a personal preference. What are you going to be pushing through the card? If you are wanting to be bleeding edge perfect graphics or 1440p gaming then go with the higher one, if you are still running 1080p on a normal monitor then save some money

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

not only that, but if you definitely know what to do with the video card as far as OCing, you can probably get the same performance with a little bit more heat because of the different coolers/fans. It's a huge price difference, i would save my money if you wanna put in that effort.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I personally would wait until the 800 series launches before thinking of buying any upgrades, the 700s will fall, and sans Star Citizen I don't think there is much that is coming out that would actually take full advantage of whatever the 800s have to offer for another year or so.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I think about 99% of the time you get last generation GPUs unless you are lucky and get discounts.

Just not worth their price, only reason I have my 780 as it is was because of a friends once a year discount that he had no plans to use.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Thanks for the responses everyone, think I might wait and see what the 800 series comes out with.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

What I do is put my current GPU on ebay about 3 days before the new models release with a 5-7day auction time and 5-7 day handling time. They sell for 80%+ of the full price since they are barely used, and I buy the new card the day it comes out. Take old card out and put new card in, use box to ship out old card. Upgrades cost me 20% max.

Gave 5$ to bg and all I could think of was this lousy title.
    -____-

BG Level

Not everybody has to luxury of being able to do that. My GPU is several years old and used 6+ hours a day everyday.

I was also thinking of upgrading soon too, but i'm not informed enough to know if my GeForce GTX 670 will suffice for the next year's gaming recommendations.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by SubzeroDiabolos View Post
    Not everybody has to luxury of being able to do that. My GPU is several years old and used 6+ hours a day everyday.

I was also thinking of upgrading soon too, but i'm not informed enough to know if my GeForce GTX 670 will suffice for the next year's gaming recommendations.
    Currently using a 670 myself, for playing FFXIV at 2560x1440 its "ok". Not always 60fps, but it hovers in the 40-50fps ranges mostly. for 1920x1080 120x1240 etc resolutions, it should be 60fps+

Personally waiting for the flagship 800 series (which would probably be december/early 2015 maybe?). The 880 and 860? are coming up in either next month or in october

-____-

BG Level

I can get relatively smooth FPS in BF4 max settings (occasional bumps), but i'm planning on starting to record with fraps soon, and also use twitch. I'm not sure wich part of my computer has to worse bottleneck, but I think it's most likely the GPU, or CPU (Intel i5 and GeForce 670).

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

fraps uses CPU power and writes to the HDD constantly, unless you use a SSD for BF4+where your recording fraps to, its recommended you record fraps to a separate drive as that would slow your game down (and more so if BF4+windows and recording fraps all at once on a slow HDD)

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Def waiting on the 880ti myself as the flagship. I may or may not skip the 880, regardless i'm either selling the 680 to go towards the 880, or i'm going to give it to my gf and build her a pc.

-____-

BG Level

@Gulkeeva: I have a SSD for windows 8 but its too small for games, or fraps recorded videos. Fraps and games are on my 2 Terrabyte HDD standard 7,200 RPM. The guy at the computer store near me said the i7 for the 1155 socket were getting pretty rare, but they're still 350$ ish. Do you happen to know if they're worth the investment?

@Nitsuki: Do you know if the 780ti will drop in price when the 800 series launches? Do you know if an old asus GTX 670 is sellable? If yes, how much?

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Prolly can net around $150-200 for the gtx 670, all vid cards go down once the next series launches

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by SubzeroDiabolos View Post
    @Gulkeeva: I have a SSD for windows 8 but its too small for games, or fraps recorded videos. Fraps and games are on my 2 Terrabyte HDD standard 7,200 RPM. The guy at the computer store near me said the i7 for the 1155 socket were getting pretty rare, but they're still 350$ ish. Do you happen to know if they're worth the investment?

@Nitsuki: Do you know if the 780ti will drop in price when the 800 series launches? Do you know if an old asus GTX 670 is sellable? If yes, how much?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-502-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-900-_-Product

pretty much identical performance between socket 1150 and 1155, just higher pricetag on haswell by a little, and better onboard video performance (who the hell uses onboard video for gaming)

Anyway if your not seeing a "massive" drop in FPS (15+) recording BF4 to the same HDD your playing off of, don't worry about it, if you are, I'd recommend a cheapish 7200RPM drive as a "record drive". I lose about 9-11fps fraps recording

-____-

BG Level

I don't know why I didn't think of doing that before. I'll play a good session with FPS overlay without recording and another while recording and eyeball the difference.

Worse case scenario i'll buy a 3rd HDD for recording, even though I just bought this one. 1 min video is a 2 gig file (justfrapsything) and I plan on long videos. As for the CPU, I wasn't even aware they had onboard GPU, I thought that was the motherboard. TIL. Don't care about better onboard though, i'd rather go for cheaper but similar processing performances.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I guess this is a decent thread to bump. GTX980 launching for $549, the 970 running for $350.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    I guess this is a decent thread to bump. GTX980 launching for $549, the 970 running for $350.
    Ughhhhh the urge to upgrade 680s vs affording my closing costs.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The 970 is between the 780 and 780ti, and for a little while there was rumoured to be priced at $300. I pictured it as nvidia simply giving no fucks.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Time to sell the old 780