FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

My only hesitation is the rumor hat they are going to be releasing more Maxwell(the real Maxwell) in Q1 2015 that has the die shrink and probably much faster.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Ive already decided there is a 970 in my future, and probably a new monitor too because reasons

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

And according to PCGamer, Nvidia is going to stop producing the 770 and 780(Ti)

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Makes sense since 970 and 980 are basically just more energy efficient (50~75% less power usage) versions of the 700 series due to the new architecture. Personally haven't got any reason to upgrade from dual 780s to 970s/980s, but maybe when the next set of maxwell GPUs comes out I can consider it.

Looking at the specs, despite what their graph says, a GTX 780 should be on par with or slightly overpower a 980 in terms of actual performance unless 980s overclock really well. Looking at 256 less CUDA cores, ~16 less texel rate, and 64GB/s less memory bandwidth (384bit bus vs 256bit bus) as compared to the old kepler chip that I know and love. Whether the extra oomph behind overclocking (980 stock clock @ 1126/1216 while a stock 780 runs at 863/900, so prospects are high) and the architecture's efficiency allow the card to speed past the 780 at all should be an interesting test to see. At the very least it's nice if you're on an energy budget, lets you cut a good deal of peak watts off of your GPU's consumption. The technology is extremely interesting though, the next generation of maxwells post-970/980 should prove to be quite incredible, and this one could still blow away 700 series offerings.

Would say that 580 -> 980 = extremely high PPP, 680 -> 980 = very high PPP, 780(ti) -> 980 = very low PPP unless you get a good deal back from what you spent on them via resale.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Did they ever unlock voltages again with the newer cards? I remember they didn't do that with original 600 series and it was pretty much pointless to watercool them.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

a few third party models had unlocked voltage (one of the EVGA 780s did, I'm almost positive), unsure if maxwell reference will (I'd guess not, but really don't know for sure). locked voltage 700 series cards are still fairly reasonable to watercool; boost 2.0 makes it pretty handy to have lower temps, even if you have a low voltage cap, temperature throttling starts happening sooner than you'd think.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yup. Already adjusted. 970 reference $299, non ref $329. Non ref 980's delayed 3 weeks.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I seriously am really debating to wait on a 980ti at this point or just sell my 680 lightning, and get me a 980 + a better monitor eventually. I'm also not one to get video cards on launch date, but it's supremely tempting...

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

970 tests show it is = to 780

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Any idea when these cards will show up on shopping websites?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Nvm, you cant search for them, but they are there. Going to be w/o a Graphics card for 3 weeks til MSI 980 comes out ; ;

I feel like im going to kick myself with the 20nm Maxwell comes out in like Feb or March.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

it's really almost never is worth jumping on a new architecture from the getgo. better off waiting for the second gen imo; better software support and more refined hardware implementation by then. personal decision though really; getting the hype now, or waiting a bit and getting an even better version later for probably a similar cost.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Some info I posted the other day on a tech thread

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-g...faster-r9-290/

Here's some numbers for (not 4K) testing of the 970 and 980 vs current gen cards, power usage etc. Supposedly they won't be too expensive either (mainly the 970) which performs well, probably why AMD is dropping their card prices like crazy all over the place.

As others have mentioned though, new generation cards sometimes comes with issues, so its best to either buy fast last gen, or wait for a bit into the new gen for better cards. Fresh release cards sometimes come with issues like ... messed up underclocking when they reach a "not even hot" status, or crash on certain things with new drivers... random strange stuff.

Expect to see many maaannny benchmark tests/reviews, most likely today from many sites, as the media blackout for the 970/980 supposedly is lifted today on the cards...? If not soon anyway

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

970's and 980's out in online stores now (like newegg), you can also find some detailed reviews over at various tech sites (and 4K res gaming benchmarks)

/example
    http://techreport.com/review/27067/n...cards-reviewed

Dynamic super sampling seems to be a interesting feature, basically with that 4GB ram it has, you set a game to play at 4K res, and it renders the game at 4K and samples it down to your 1080p which improves the quality of your game (has example pic on the review).

Nice for those that don't want to play at 4K, but want the quality of near? or same as 4K at your small res.

Considering the 970 is on par of the 780 ti almost and can be overclocked, the price isn't bad at all. I'm still waiting for the 980 ti's though myself!

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    970's and 980's out in online stores now (like newegg), you can also find some detailed reviews over at various tech sites (and 4K res gaming benchmarks)

/example
    http://techreport.com/review/27067/n...cards-reviewed

Dynamic super sampling seems to be a interesting feature, basically with that 4GB ram it has, you set a game to play at 4K res, and it renders the game at 4K and samples it down to your 1080p which improves the quality of your game (has example pic on the review).

Nice for those that don't want to play at 4K, but want the quality of near? or same as 4K at your small res.

Considering the 970 is on par of the 780 ti almost and can be overclocked, the price isn't bad at all. I'm still waiting for the 980 ti's though myself!
    That is a fucking nice feature, considering i play a lot of fighting games, i do play w/ a certain 1080p monitor. Definitely awaiting for a 2nd gen or a ti model. But also am considering a 4k monitor and just say fuck it.

Murder machine with a motor in her nose
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Isn't this how we've been playing FFXI forever?
    My ffxi runs in 4K background, 1080p overlay and has been for years.