+ Reply to Thread
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed - Stripping Vampires for JUSTICE

I used the search and found that this game doesn't have its own thread. Time to fix that.

Basic facts:

It's a PS3/Vita game that's a port of the PSP game Akiba's Trip 2. It's published in North America by XSEED and was developed by Acquire.

What's the game about?

Vampires (aka Synthisers in the game) are draining otaku and others in Akihabara of their life force, leaving them apathetic. Lured in to a drug trial by the promise of limited edition figurines, your character is turned into a Synthiser but rescued by purple-haired mistress of parasol-fu Shizuku Tokikaze and fed her blood to prevent his turning into a monster. You and your scrappy band of friends fight against the Synthisers. Since they're vulnerable to sunlight, this naturally means bashing them about until you can rip their clothes off, at which point they disappear into a puff of smoke.

What? Seriously?

Yes. This game doesn't hesitate in making fun of itself to the point where you have a dialogue option for the training fight of "I wish they sent girls after us instead of guys".

So, is the game as hot as it sounds?

Perv. As I mentioned, the game's a port of a PSP game, so the graphics, even as they have been improved for the PS3 and Vita, are not amazingly detailed or attractive.

What's the appeal then? What's the game like?

It's a sandbox game set in Akihabara. If I had to pick a game that it was like, I'd say that it was like the Yakuza games. I'm not sure if there are minigames like that series, but I'm not sure what you could expect from a PSP game. You can also apparently work up to a relationship with either purple-haired girl or childhood friend. There might also be something involving Norwegian woman working at a maid cafe, underground Idol singer and inappropriate businesswoman, but I haven't gotten that far in the game yet.

Also, you can talk to different people in the streets. The Boys Love Enthusiasts will say things like how she "knows" those two businessmen are lovers or how much energy needs to be devoted to fantasies about two hot guys doing each other. This is a game that knows what its audience wants and isn't afraid to shamelessly go for it.

The game has Japanese voices enabled, and the English voices are apparently kind of dire.

So how's the gameplay?

The fighting...is mediocre. So far, it's been running around to different areas to do fetch quests or fights. You get experience points, but I'm not sure what they're used for. The areas are small, and there's a loading screen in-between them all.

On the other hand, when I stripped this dude, it turned out he had women's underwear underneath, so there's that. Also, I don't know whether or not there's a Raw Danger!-type error, but a lot of the Synthisers I've met in the street are foreigners.

Would you recommend it?

I'd say that the game is worth a try. You'll know pretty early on whether or not the game appeals to you, despite the gameplay.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

It's also for the PS4. I've been talking about it a bit in the BG chat.

I don't know how much interest there was on the forums for this game and it wasn't at a status that I would recommend it to anyone. Lots of fetch quests and I had one quest fail on me because... for the life of me... I couldn't FIND some hooligans. I turned the streets upside down and couldn't find these punks. Gave up lol.

My opinion: I would skip. Especially if you are on a budget and are waiting on the numerous other games coming out in the next few months. If you have the cash and the game appeals to you, jump in and we can chat about it. I'll try to keep this thread on my radar.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I figure that since BG has an Atlus subforum, there's room for the quirky games that make you shake your head and go, "Japan, what were you thinking?" Those are the types of games I like. I mean, hell, my avatar's from Hatoful Boyfriend!

Akiba's Trip is definitely a "try before you buy" game. I think Gameflying it would be the proper route to decide if it's worth a purchase (or waiting for a deep PSN discount).

I did think it was worthwhile to point out that it's a city sandbox game in the style of Yakuza. I can't think of any other games that are that way, as opposed to a number of GTA clones that existed at one point.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiina Cassul
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Icecrown

For those interested, Coopa is streaming this game with a twist. For every game over he has to pick 1 of 4 choices as a punishment.

Options:
    1) Put on a layer of clothing (CA is in a drought and HOT)
    2) Drink a DJ Huoshen drink (apparently chugging one of these is REALLY bad for your health)
    3) Eat a disgusting bag of chips (think they are cappuccino lays)
    4) One free pass (once per stream)

Should be interesting.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Cappuccino lays wtf

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

PC Version announced, coming sometime this Spring
    The PC Version will feature USB controller support, the PlayStation 4 version’s “Visual Editor,” and Steam Achievements.