FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Looking for a controller, help guys!

Okay, this may sound wierd but..

In prep for going to XIV in a few months (not to mention my classic gaming habit) I'm looking into controllers..again. I'd prefer a PS2/PS3 clone or a good adapter that I can use a PS2 controller on that's compat with Windows 7.(The one i was using on my old pc didn't like my Windows 7; I'm using my brother's Nyko Airflow right now, would like to give that back..) Not picky on brand, want budget + can take a beating.

I'm sure I'm not the only gamer here who likes a controller; Would people mind giving some suggestions? (Oh and before anyone asks, I did try calling the local Best Buy; they only had logitech ones, I'd rather make a more informed choice on this. Also tried searching for reviews, but reviews on controllers are few and far between.)

Also the last PC controller I got crapped out on me(Well, not that Nyko, it's been a mack truck) which is why I'm in this mess in the first place. I'd like to avoid that happening again if I can...

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I used: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PS1-PS2-Cont...s2+usb+adapter

for the last 11 years. However, it's approximately 90% in terms of matching my one. The blue is a bit... off, but it's this one for sure (of some variant). I use it to play FFXIV. However, it doesn't work for some other PC games (it fails to detect it, i.e. Need for Speed World which only allows a limited list of controllers)

Failing that, there's the PS3/PS4 controller which will need a bit of tinkering to get working.

Alternatively, the XboxONE controller is fantastic I heard, and there's official drivers for it.
    Failing all of that, the Xbox360 controller is also great.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

PS3/PS4 controller will work without too much effort.

I typically use a PS4 controller or a PS2 pad with this http://www.xgaming.com/store/promo/p...-360-adapter-2

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I almost bought the logitech controller at best buy last week because it was on sale. Luckily I did a quick check of reviews, and there were tons of negatives about it's delay and sensitivity. Ended up just getting another 360 controller, they always work great with PCs.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Highly recommend the XB1 controller for comfort if nothing else. Imho it's the best available controller for most purposes. It also as said, has official drivers from MS.

If not, PS3 controllers as said, are fairly easy to set up. PS3 controllers have some fairly decent drivers for them, http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInpu...DS2-Controller

PS4, I don't know just yet. Mine stays busy as of late on the console. I do know it can be used on a PC, but I don't think I'd want to.

Budget too tight for those? Check out PowerA controllers. I bought one on a whim a while back while waiting on the XB1 controller, they're fairly well made and are around 20 bucks. Lasted around 9 months before I replaced it. Still works, though. Minor button stick that got on my nerves. But that's happening pretty much with everything I've ever bought given my controllers are used for MMOs.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll check on those, PS3 might be a good deal now a days. I know that brother won't yell about me buying one; borrowing one of his, nope; but as long as I don't get black they seem to be reasonable on Amazon.

XB1 wired might work well too, I'll go erm, steal my brother's downstairs and see what i think of the feel. The only problem is there is some issues with XI (I'm hanging on until Seekers ends) but I'll see what I can do. And the PowerA? I'll check local and see if they're available so I can pick it out.

Also one of those adapters might work wonders, I'll check those out too (well, on the US amazon.).

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

If you're planning using it primarily for XIV, then spend the extra few $$$ and get a PS4 controller. Though the PS4 controller is plug'n play with Windows (it will show up as a regular old Direct Input "Wireless Controller" with 14 buttons), it does take a bit of extra effort it to get it to work with XIV. However, once you get it working properly, and also get yourself a program like Xpadder or JoyToKey, you can do some really cool things that aren't possible with other controllers due to the 2 additional buttons on the DS4 compared to pretty much all other controllers out there.

Take a look at my thread here regarding Xpadder and some of the things you can use it for in XIV. I need to update that thread one of these days with my current layout using the PS4 controller, as having access to the additional two buttons on the PS4 has opened things up even further for me.

There's also some REALLY nice home-made drivers out there that allow the DS4 to act as a X360 controllers using the XInput protocol, change the color of the LED, or even let you use the touchpad as a mouse. Pretty cool stuff.

Here's my own ranking of pretty much every controller (mostly console controllers) I've used on the PC over the course of the last 10+ years:
    1. PS4
    2. X360
    3. PS1 (via the godly Radio Shack USB Adapter)
    4. PS2 (via a variety of USB adapters from various manufacturers)
    5. PS3 (wired, with the drivers listed above by Nep)
    6. XB1 (official drivers are currently pretty shitty, but get the basics done)
    7. Wii Classic Controller Pro
    8. Wii U Pro (this would be higher if not for the god-forsaken placement of the right stick)
    9. Logitech F310
    10. Logitech Dual Action
    11. Gamecube
    12. N64 (via an original Adaptoid baby, oh yeah!)

Granted, some controllers like the GC and N64 are more specialized for their respective emulators than general-purpose PC gamepads, but they did provide some interesting experiences in some PC games.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Back in my XI days I used a PS2 controller with a cheap converter box (bought off amazon, no specific brand), but after quitting I switched to a 360 controller and recently got a XB1 controller.
    Both work fine with most games including XIV, but with XI you'll probably have a lot of trouble to get the triggers to work as buttons.

mabu, what do you consider "shitty" about the XB1 driver? So far the only flaw I've noticed is that it sometimes derps a bit on Win7 after suspend mode and you have to re-plug it to get rumble working again.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

https://www.play-asia.com/super-joyb...en-70-qc4.html

I use that. You can find it on Amazon too. Been using it since 2006 or so. Works with XP-8, though you should get their driver and install it. Supports pressure buttons and rumble.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Niya, on the 2 Win7 machines I've tried so far, I get an error immediately upon plugging it in. It does seem to work just fine as a normal direct input device thereafter though.

However, my expectations from the drivers were that it would be using Xinput, not Dinput. After all, it's an MS designed gamepad being used on an MS OS, you would think they'd have made the drivers use their own MS designed input protocol. I know that these "official" drivers are just beta at the moment, but I was expecting better

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll check that, bungie. If it works fine with Windows 7, then I should be good.

And yes, Niya, FFXI is a consideration. For now. And I'm aware of the trigger problem with Xbox 360 controllers, wrote a guide on swapping to PC when Seekers first came out. And I'll see about a PS4 controller; since I don't have a usb..thingy..to make it wireless, I'd be running off a cable for either a PS3 or PS4 controller, which doesn't bother me too badly. And in this case, I'd rather pay the little extra to make sure that the controller lasts..well, as long as the controller isn't expensive as heck.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay, I decided to go with the PS3 controller, I've been curious if drivers work for that. I got the cord today (The controller does NOT come with the bloody cord, ugh!) and since the controller is due to come tomorrow, I stole my brother's Sixaxis to test it out. With his permission, of course.

I'm going to have to tweak the FFXI config..AGAIN..(I seem to have to do that with every new controller I get, that's why I stole the Sixaxis now) but it's going to work. I'll give my brother back his Sixaxis once the Dual Shock 3 gets here. Hopefully I won't have to change teh config on FFXI again this time.

I'll add that driver to the guide I did (I keep it updated) because that's a driver for a PS3 controller I'd never ever heard of. Thanks BGers!

[Edit again] Could anyone help me get the bottom L buttons to work in XI? XI config does NOT like them for some reason ugh! Help! If this continues I'll still have to use Neko's old controller for FFXI until I switch to XIV, UGH...

[Edit again] Turned out the only drivers that work with XI is MotionInJoy, so it's working right now. I'll swap to the one mentioned in this thread once I'm no longer playing XI. Seems the nicer drivers end up with a similar problem that Xbox 360 controllers have VS. FFXI; some of the buttons don't work right! And since I use said buttons for macros..it's annoying!

[Last edit] MotionInJoy crashed, so back to the wrapper. Found out tho that Xpadder fixes the L2-R2 button issue in FFXI. Annoying but if anyone wants that profile, I'll put it up.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I use this for computer games, love it. Its wireless too.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-0.../dp/B0041RR0TW