+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ridill
    BG Level

Don't forget that every college pays people specifically to help people figure this stuff out, and most will meet and help out a prospective student free np.

Advisers are seriously one of the most underutilized aspects of college, take advantage of them.

Depends on the adviser as well. Some are just complete shit, some are great. Hit and Miss during my years at college with about a 50-50 chance. Financial aid are the same way, 50-50 chance you're dealing with fucking idiots at the front desk or people who know their shit inside and out.

If you go for your AA you can probably leverage a job to pay for your B.S possibly. Depends on the job itself and your profession, a lot of IT professions will help you with your degree as the degree itself isn't a big deal in most situations if you can prove you know you're shit. However you may NEED a degree if you're a contractor and the customer requires it.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

If she's in school, you may just have to tough it out till she's done and can step up and front your end of it for a bit so you can finish

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My brother in law is a computer engineer at Ford. Said I just need to get an associates in programming or data base related and he can get me in. Job would start at $60k for entry level. I never thought I'd work for Ford, but at this stage in life I would like to get in at a place where I can work towards a pension and make a decent living. I know a lot of folks do it here. I give my wife a ton of kudos. She's filipino and only been in the US for six years(we've been together for 4). She never had a job until she came here and worked customer service at Meijer. She would struggle working 30 hours a week. Now she will take 3 classes while working as a CNA and she helps me take care of the household.

Regarding counselors, the ones I have talked with at Jackson College and Baker are idiots that treat you like garbage. They act more like a salesman trying to get you to sign up for as many classes as possible and put you in a lengthy program. In the end, education is a business and it's all about the money.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Kalmodo are you a NAIFA member?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    Kalmodo are you a NAIFA member?
    I am not. I've only been in the field of insurance for a combined 3 years with a one year break. I only went back because I needed a better paying job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    My brother in law is a computer engineer at Ford. Said I just need to get an associates in programming or data base related and he can get me in. Job would start at $60k for entry level. I never thought I'd work for Ford, but at this stage in life I would like to get in at a place where I can work towards a pension and make a decent living. I know a lot of folks do it here. I give my wife a ton of kudos. She's filipino and only been in the US for six years(we've been together for 4). She never had a job until she came here and worked customer service at Meijer. She would struggle working 30 hours a week. Now she will take 3 classes while working as a CNA and she helps me take care of the household.

Regarding counselors, the ones I have talked with at Jackson College and Baker are idiots that treat you like garbage. They act more like a salesman trying to get you to sign up for as many classes as possible and put you in a lengthy program. In the end, education is a business and it's all about the money.
    You can get a pension if you join up with Ford nowadays? Figured that shit was long gone everywhere by now. I know the place I work at, if you didn't get in 13yrs ago, there are no pensions no matter how long you work for the company.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I work full time and go to school full time(fourth year pre-med, 18 credits a semester) and have a kid/house/run my own business! suck it up!=
    What the shit. What are you? Your child must be the son of a god.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

nah but iirc Fievel is the next best thing: child of a wealthy family.

edit: oops, totes misread that

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    You can get a pension if you join up with Ford nowadays? Figured that shit was long gone everywhere by now. I know the place I work at, if you didn't get in 13yrs ago, there are no pensions no matter how long you work for the company.
    Maybe not? I honestly do not know. I just know I can make more money with less stress doing day to day activities with something I enjoy rather then selling a product no one wants while making peanuts doing it.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    nah but iirc Fievel is the next best thing: child of a wealthy family.

edit: oops, totes misread that
    Rofl what? No, not at all.

I wouldn't be surprised that you hate your job selling insurance. That's one of the worst sales jobs you can possibly have lol. What about returning to school while looking into another sales position? Shit, I'd rather sell cars than insurance.

Check out LinkedIn and regional help wanted ads for sales manager positions. I am a regional sales manager for a manufacturing company, my base pay before commission is roughly what you and your wife gross. There is a lot of opportunity out there for someone who knows how to sell effectively. Use that to your advantage while you are trying to better your education.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    Rofl what? No, not at all.
    yeah i misread the name on the quote and thought it was someone else, who i'm pretty sure is. figured it was still a fair question to bring up, so i left it with the corrected name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Maybe not? I honestly do not know. I just know I can make more money with less stress doing day to day activities with something I enjoy rather then selling a product no one wants while making peanuts doing it.
    Yeah I don't think pensions area real thing in 99.9% of places anymore lol. You should sell peanuts, people love that shit! I would say the best advice, and you may know this, is that a degree is almost fucking pointless but it lets you get in good with people who are in the field (usually adjunct teachers) and people going into it (your fellow students) who might know others already in it. Establishing connections is the most important thing to do while at college, make friendly with every mother fucker you talk to, you don't know if they will be on an interview board 5yrs down the road.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

So another shit day at the office and I get an email from fafsa saying I'm good. Went to Baker after work and signed up for Psych and intro to windows. I'm really excited and am glad to have done this. I understand this thread in one respect was just a way to bitch about life and what not, but to any and all that read I'm extremely thankful for this community. It's ironic because when I used to play ffxi hardcore in like, 2007 ish, an in game friend and I used to avoid bg because we felt it was too negative. And in the ffxi sections specifically, maybe it was. Now I relish reading bg forums every day and again, am thankful for this community. People should know that even an online forum can really impact someone's life.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Gen chat forums are just a reminder that no matter how asshole-ish people may seem in the game, on the outside...hey man, we're real people with feelings and shit too.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

also a reminder that we're all idiots sometimes too