+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

My background came from a tech school, but whatever.

Do you think college is purely for education, something in between, or purely to prepare people for a specific career?
    Education. Hell, I was even told what I learned may be insignificant when I land a job. Sure enough, they were pretty spot on.

What is your measure for success in life?
    For me I guess it's I now have more control over my life than I did when I was in South Dakota.

What makes you happy with your career?
    Nothing. Sure I enjoyed it at first but after my first salary review last week and being fed some sugar-coated bullshit I started to hate my job and even told HR I was thinking of leaving. Only reason I didn't put up my 2 weeks yet is due to a promise I made. That and I want to bounce back and tell my higher-ups to shove it.

What factors do you use when choosing a job?
    Pretty much location. I didn't have the money/luxury of looking wherever I wanted for work, so I had to find something relatively close to me.

Do you choose where to live then choose a career in that area or do you choose a career and go wherever it takes you?
    Eh, kinda 50/50 on this one. Sure I want my career to be something I'm good/familiar with, but at the same time there is no way in hell I want to live in a large, metropolitan city. My vacation in Baltimore earlier this month was enough of a reminder of that.

Should people feel obligated to work at a job that is in their field of study in college?
    If they don't like their field of study I don't see why they should feel obligated, which brings me to the final question:

Is it ok to choose a job that isn't related to your field of study even if it earns you less money?
    I don't see an issue with it. After all I'd say your happiness is more important than your paycheck.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

My oldest friend was in an ATV accident a while back and is paralyzed from the chest down. He's still on a ventilator and is struggling to get his hands fully functional again. Also, he has Cerebral Palsy. His fiancee made a post on facebook today that prompted me to put this into a more succinct form.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane
    One of the things that often comes up on the Crohn's forums I visit is the belief that someone is a failure in life because they don't have a job/house/whatever. People are sad/angry that they can't do that. Rightfully so! I'm angry that a normal life was taken from me. But, at the same time, I recognize that I'm not playing by the same rules as everyone else. In the game of life, people with Crohn's (and other chronic illnesses/injuries/disabilities, whatever) are, sometimes quite literally, playing with a handicap. The win conditions have changed to simply staying alive/healthy. The secondary win conditions like job/house/whatever have been wiped out. Unattainable.

However, with that exchange comes a new option: creating your own secondary win conditions. I have three: 1: Hang out with friends/family. 2: Enjoy stories/games. 3: Build stuff. Pretty much all of my goals in life can be boiled down to one of those things. And I'm really, really good at them. And I'm alive. That makes me a gold-medal winner.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    i feel like my standards probably don't apply here, as the principle condition of success is being alive.
    This is kind of really black. I mean, if I fuck up and do dumb shit, I can die. I'm extremely fortunate to be off medication and be able to actually do almost whatever I want, and it really made me change my priorities in life a lot. Regardless, I still did things while I was heavily medicating though, I flew to US, I had my friend watch on video how to give me injections, I was bleeding from whatever inconvenient body part you can imagine, it wasn't great. But I did it, and I'd do it again, even under the circumstances. I think it's important to allow yourself to still experience life, even though it will be significantly altered and maybe completely terrible, it will mean a ton. Don't just survive, you need to live too!

College to me nowadays is 50% education and 50% just getting the fucking piece of paper. It all depends on your career goals, but things like Computer Science and other aspects of IT can all be learned online and most positions and people I have seen/met with don't have anything past high school. I enjoy my career because of how it's constantly changing and new things pop up all the time. While currently i'm doing system admin work, I plan on branching to security as it's more of a passion of mine as well as getting better at programming.

Currently when choosing a job it's 70% how much I can make and 30% what the job entails. Those values can shift a little depending on just how fucking boring the work might be compared to pay or the assholes I have to deal with versus pay. I hate being bored and sitting around not doing shit while at work, even if i'm getting paid to sit on my ass it still annoys me. Dealing with bullshit inter office politics also gets to me, I can deal with the basic bullshit and 5+ meetings a week but anything more and I start to look elsewhere.

In terms of location, if I could find a job that paid what I make now but back near my parents I would take it instantly, right now I need the money badly to pay off student loans (another reason I regret college) and help my parents out back at home.

College used to be something huge when i was growing up, it was seen as the pinnacle of making it and once you had a degree the sky was the limit. Now it's just a money racket and complete bullshit. It's spiraled out of control in this country and hurt everything as a result. Our schools barely teach shit, and when you get out and in the field 90% of the jobs have to retrain your ass anyways.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Do you think college is purely for education, something in between, or purely to prepare people for a specific career?
    75 to 85% education, and getting know some people.

What is your measure for success in life?
    If I feel happy and relax. The other probably if I manage to have extra money to buy the instrument I used to play and have the time to play it.

What makes you happy with your career?
    Doing the stuff I want to as academic researcher.

What factors do you use when choosing a job?
    As PhD degree my choice is getting narrow/limited. But location and contract period still come first...

Do you choose where to live then choose a career in that area or do you choose a career and go wherever it takes you?
    I think 50/50. While I can't choose a job based on a location due to my specialize, but I would still prefer some where close to my family if possible. Does not want to be in US any more as I had to spent 24 to 48 hrs flight if I want to go back south east asia.

Should people feel obligated to work at a job that is in their field of study in college?
    No. To me college education should only give you a sense of basic to intermediate knowledge. Indeed, it is one of the progress that should able to let you pick up some new stuff faster.

Is it ok to choose a job that isn't related to your field of study even if it earns you less money?
    Not sure, unless it is something that I wanted to try for sometimes, then yes.

Banned.

BG Level

lol

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin