1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 8 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 1 hours, 51 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Producer Letter LIVE XVII (Game Watch Translation)

The English Q&A posts on the forums during the 14 hour stream were good in capturing most of the important points, but since it was a live translation, some of the stuff seems to have gotten missed or might have been unclear. This translation is based on the Game Watch transcription/article for the live letter event, so it probably has more details than the Q&A posts on the forum.

-Just added second part, which I think wraps up all of the Yoshida portion (need to go through it a bit for correctness).

----------------------------

About this time last year, those of you reading this article were probably waiting for the launch of the servers. A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV, which is celebrating its first anniversary, launched on August 23, 2013 with the beginning of early access. To celebrate this, a 14 hour live program with members of the core staff was planned and broadcast from a special studio at the Square Enix headquarters.

In this article, I'll be publishing the Q&A session that was broadcast as part of the program as the 17th Producer Letter LIVE. Two team members appeared for this portion of the broadcast - Naoki Yoshida, producer and director of A Realm Reborn, and Toshio Murouchi from the community team. In the team members guest corner, main programmer Hideyuki Kasuga appeared and answered some questions addressed to him.

Dungeons and Fields Are in Development for the Expansion Pack!

There's been an impression recently that you're focused on content that takes a long time to complete like Monster Hunts and the Saga of the Zodiac Weapons. Will you be adding more of this type of content in the future?

That impression may have developed because we added Zodiac and Monster Hunts in quick succession. Rather, I want people to think of the new FFXIV more as a "theme park" with a large variety of content. Up until recently, most of the content we added was developed for matching in Duty Finder, so we wanted to add more content available for play in the fields. So this kind of content won't necessarily become the norm in the future, and we'll continue doing both kinds. Plans for major updates and instances may take several years to develop. In the meantime, we can plan other more improvised types of content in response to player feedback, so we're planning various types of field content now. We're also working on Gold Saucer now, so we'll continue to do various types.

Please add more casual content, not just end-game content.

In MMORPGs in general, end-game content doesn't really "end," like with Frontline for example. High difficulty battle content isn't the only type of end-game content, either. There's other end-game content like Free Company and housing content which also don't end. We're also planning to add various things like Gold Saucer in the future which will be more casually focused. Beyond that, we'll have the additions of new classes and jobs which is also casual content in the sense that they have to be leveled up.

With the addition of Ninja, will you also be adding other Japanese-style items like furniture or food?

There will be some, but it won't be all at once because the Doman people haven't all come over yet so there hasn't been much trade with the Far East yet. For Ninja in particular, the guild will be located in a different kind of place, blending into the landscape of Eorzea, so you might miss it at first glance, but it will have a sense of complete harmony inside. It should feel like it has a sense of harmony with the the form of the world.

Will we ever be able to go to the Chocobo Forest that's mentioned in the description for the "Draught Chocobo" minion in the future?

In the past of the series, the chocobos always had a hidden village type place. Those places were made with a smaller setting so I think it will be a little different from the FF series' past. We're considering various types of chocobo play content.

What are the plans for 2.38 and 2.4? Can you tell us any information about the upcoming patches?

Patch 2.38 is scheduled for around the time of Tokyo Game Show [[9/18 - 9/21]]. For patch 2.4, since we have a lot to discuss, I want to hold off a bit longer. Since we're adding a new job, it's becoming a difficult challenge. That said, the development team doesn't want to keep everyone waiting for too long, but please hang on a bit longer. For now, I can definitely tell you that you'll be fighting Shiva. We're planning to start revealing more information about patch 2.4 during Tokyo Game Show.

Is there any information you can reveal about the expansion pack?

We've decided the title of it, and the art has also been progressing smoothly. We've created some loose field mock-ups with just some rough geometry to try walking around and checking the size to see how and where we can add FATEs, quests, or larger enemies, and decide some of the details based on that. We completed the mock-ups, so we're now progressing through some of this work now. We've also finished some preliminary checks on some of the dungeons. I think people all over the world want to know more about the expansion pack, and we definitely want to reveal more information, so I hope everyone is looking forward to the Fan Festivals.

Can you tell us any information about the new race?

It's mostly been completed. We've already gotten through most of the basic animation and skin patterns and color, so right now we're working on increasing the number of facial variations. As far as timing is concerned, it'll be around the time that a certain NPC reveals their face to the public.

Will you be adding any new commendation rewards in the future?

We're working on the resources now. They're almost ready, but I'm not sure whether it'll be implemented in patch 2.38 or patch 2.4.

Will you be able to play all of the content from the expansion pack even if you haven't cleared Bahamut's Coils?

The Bahamut's dungeons will be completed in the 2.0 series. A new series will begin in 3.0, and the storyline will not be related, since we didn't want people who were just starting to feel like they were left behind with the story. We'll be doing something completely different from what we did with the Bahamut's dungeons, and there's been a lot of planning going on for the new series.

Will you be doing other collaboration events either in-house or with other companies in the future?

"FF" isn't only a series in Japan and America, it's also now in other places like Europe and China, so it would be difficult to do something that's known only to Japanese audiences. Since we want to keep as much of a global feeling as possible, we initially want to focus on things in-house. We also want to make sure we plan the collaborations properly so that they are interesting for both games. Something like the Lightning collaboration that we already did is the kind of collaboration we want to focus on doing in the future.

Can you hold a contest like an equipment design contest so that we can have equipment we design appear in the game?

The equipment specifications for "FF" are very complex. Our game artist Akihiko Yoshida has also lamented over the tight specifications. If we could remove the waist from the design it would be a lot easier, but as it is, it's really tough in that area and there can be a lot of clipping. It could also be disappointing if there were some great designs that we saw in the contest that we couldn't implement into the game.

So there are two ways we could do it - either ask for general designs and develop the nuances ourselves, or publish all of the detailed specifications. If we do the latter, though, we might only get professional entries. Since there are a lot of people interested, we will consider trying it out some time.

Can you tell us any more about the Fan Festival events?

The events will start with Las Vegas on October 17. All of the pre-sale tickets are sold out for Las Vegas and the only tickets left have to be purchased on the day of the event. I wonder if interest was so high because A Realm Reborn was a lot of players' first MMORPG. The schedules for both the US and Japan Fan Festivals are for two days, with different content on each day. Since the events are on the scale of thousands of people, we'll also have things like a keynote address. In the stage events, we'll report new developments for A Realm Reborn or have other things like cosplay contests. There will also be other activities that use the stage or the floor areas which will differ by region. There might also be some sudden real life FATE events that you can take on with a party of the people around you, or something like being able to ride the Behemoth mount. There's a lot of stuff we're working on, and it's on a large scale. The theme of the Fan Festival will be immersing players in the present and future of A Realm Reborn. There will also be souvenirs and lots of goods on sale. The tickets for the Japan event will be released around TGS, so please stay tuned for that.

Are there any plans for an Eorzea Cafe in other regions besides Kanto?

We've only just started operating this withour partner and we're hoping that we can continue operation for as long as possible, so it's something we might consider as we keep an eye on the situation.

Can you bring back the player surveys like you were doing with the old FFXIV?

At that time, we didn't have a forum so we weren't able to directly hear player feedback. It's rare that any MMO gets remade, so we wanted to have a way to hear everyone's feedback. Now we have the live producer letters with Q&A, Twitter, community sites, and forums where we can get the same kind of feedback we used to get in the surveys. From those places, we get the feedback that we need to consider as we move forward with content releases.

Are there any plans to release a new soundtrack?

Since there was already a soundtrack at the beginning of A Realm Reborn, right now we're in progress with planning something new, but we're not sure whether it'll be just the 2.0 series or include 3.0 as well.

Do you plan to continue the Eorzean Censuses with A Realm Reborn?

We're planning to release one at TGS this year.

There are no key Roegadyn members of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. Will there ever be one who plays an active role in the future of the main scenario?

Yes, there will.

There's an NPC that mentions a mysterious train in Western Thanalan - will you add any quest that addresses this mystery?

I don't know whether we'll address that particular item in the future, but we're hard at work on additional story content like the Moogle Delivery quests. We want to continue adding as many episodic and lore-focused quests as possible in the future.

Since you only need to clear it once, it's difficult to gather people to do content like Cape Westwind in Duty Finder. Can you add some reward to it to make it more attractive to participants?

I think the 100 Allagan Tomestones of Mythology from Duty Roulette is a fairly attractive reward, but we're aware that a lot of players are focused on Monster Hunts to matching in Duty Finder has been a little painful recently, so we'll continue to make adjustments.

[[Random note - I was helping a friend out with Cape Westwind not too long ago and I'm like 99% sure that Cape Westwind specifically is not working as intended as part of the Duty Roulette for trials because it took over an hour to fill the open spots and when we finally got in, I was the only one in the party who had previously cleared the fight.]]

Is there any information you can tell us about Gold Saucer?

Chocobo Races will be implemented with Gold Saucer. Triple Triad will also be added, and you'll be able to gather the cards all around the world, not just in the Gold Saucer. I wonder whether players will finally be able to nurture chocobo speed and stamina parameters (laughs). Since you'll be riding the chocobos yourselves, you'll also be able to have some impact on the results. For Triple Triad, you won't only get cards from battles, but also certain NPCs will have certain cards, so I expect a lot of people to be talking about that. We also have some other things we're planning to add like a basketball type mini-game or a Gold Saucer active event which happens spontaneously at certain intervals. Please look forward to it!

Are there any plans to separate the restrictions on the normal and savage versions of the Second Coil of Bahamut?

It should correspond with their addition to Duty Finder in patch 2.4. As far as adding Savage versions in the future, it will depend on how many people are trying them out, so if we decide to go that route, we'll consider whether we want to change the restrictions or rewards at that time.

Can you have elite monsters appear at random in instanced dungeons?

I think this would need to happen at random, which isn't a bad idea, but if it didn't happen very often then people probably wouldn't waste their time on it. Since people are really busy, most people dislike things that waste their time like they used to in the old days. And if there were no elites in a dungeon, people would probably just exit immediately and try it again without clearing the dungeon, so it would kind of defeat the purpose. It would be helpful to understand how many people are interested in this.

I want something like a cross between Guildleves and Monster Hunts that you can take on as a full party or alliance.

Perhaps this would be something like an elite mark emerging from a Treasure Chest during a Treasure Hunt? Maybe this is something we could do for the FC-specific activities. I think this could become a new kind of content, but I get the idea of what you're saying.

Will you be adding an extreme version of the Ultima Weapon battle?

It'd be tough at the moment because we have no available resources in the near future, but it's something that I think we'll add later on.

Will you be adding more content in the future that has FATE participation as one of the conditions?

I think people are worried about this because there were some tougher FATEs that were part of the conditions in the Zodiac Weapon saga. We don't necessarily want to use FATEs in all of our plans, but that's not to say we'll never use them. I understand the concern, but it would be kind of unusual for a MMO if you were able to clear everything at any time.

Why haven't you been able to relax the entry restrictions into the Bahamut's Dungeons with the Second Coil?

It's not that we haven't been considering it, but the current situation is the best we've come up with so far. If people could get the items and then help other people get their items, it would lead to fast inflation of item levels which we want to avoid. We are taking all of this into consideration, but for now we don't have a solution.

Can you have more frequent hotfixes focused on fine-tuning PvP?

We'd like to continue fine-tuning PvP as much as possible.

Can you tell us about any future expansion plans for Wolves' Den?

There are a lot of players who hadn't tried PvP in A Realm Reborn until recently, but we're thinking that we created a lot more PvP addicts. For now, we want to first focus on implementing new maps and modes for Frontline. Then we'll put some new systems in place for rewards or seasonal rankings. Rather than touching Wolves' Den for now, we want to build to that step by step.

You've announced Ninja as a new DPS job, but will you also be adding new healer and tank jobs?

This will be the last class and job implemented in the 2.0 series. I think you know the rest... there should be some new announcements around October 17. We're already working on some of the animations.

I really like the Blue Mage role. Do you have any plans to implement Blue Mage as a job in the future?

Blue Mage is an interesting job because it requires first learning the enemy's abilities, but it's hard to determine how they fit into a party in a MMO. I would like to try implementing it as we grow the job system, but for now, in party content, it might lead to situations where players are only invited after they learn certain techniques, etc. The hurdle to growing the job is higher than others because you first have to permanently learn the spells, which can make party play difficult, although I think we could make it interesting.

You previously mentioned that there would be some changes for the job/class system in 3.0, can you provide any more information about that?

I can't. I think that once we increase the level cap, there will be many new growth elements. That's not to say the old system will be completely eliminated and rebuilt, but the new system may or may not retain some of the elements.

Right now, summoner has become a job focused on DoT damage. I would like it to become a job with more of an emphasis on commanding the pets.

It's important to have debuffing-type jobs. If we put more of a focus on the pets, then differences in player skill will become more apparent, and we want to avoid having the job become too highly technical.

When will the next part of the Saga of the Zodiac Weapons be added? Can you tell us the item level?

It's planned for implementation in patch 2.38, but the item level is a secret.

Even though I've strengthened my Zodiac Weapon, I'd like to glamour it to one of the appearances before strengthening it. Can you create replica versions for this?

It might be possible to create replica versions with no combat capabilities.

As we strengthen further than Novus, will the stats attached to the Novus be reset?

It will continue to grow as it is. Someone else had asked me if they should be setting aside Alexandrite. I don't think it will be used, so you don't need to hoard a lot.

Will you be adjusting the difficulty of obtaining new glamour equipment from patch 2.3 like the swimsuits?

We will be. I think the difficulty of obtaining this glamour equipment was a bit too high, so we'll be reducing it in the future. We do want to add things that are higher difficulty so that crafters have something to work on, but it was a bit too high.

so...when will samurai appear and be king DPS 5ever

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I really hope they sub the whole 14 hours.
    They were saying something about the PS3 near the end of the boroadcast, before the ice bucket thing.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Kasuga interview is below - the responses are from Kasuga (not Yoshida, unless specified).

Kasuga: We Recently Discovered Why S Rank Elites Become Invisible

Please tell me what you're currently responsible for.

I'm generally responsible for the engineering-related tasks. If technical design is needed, I've also done certain technical tasks for projects and I manage our resources and schedules. I'm also responsible for investigating bugs and looking into other issues with platform compatibility as far as how long it would take and whether or not it would be possible.

Right now there are no vacant plots for housing, so even if you had the gil you can't build a house. What are you planning on doing in the housing wards when you add individual housing?

Kasuga: It's in consideration now and we're about to make a decision.
    Yoshida: We'll be adding more land in patch 2.38 along with the addition of personal housing. As far as how much land we're adding, we won't know until the last minute.
    Kasuga: It's not only about the server infrastructure required. We prepare the infrastructure first and if the demand is greater than what we assumed, we do our best to work on it with software changes, but we need to estimate the amount of manpower needed to go through the programming and verification tests since those can be time-consuming processes.
    Yoshida: We need to determine the fastest, most cost-effective way. Expanding our server capacity can cost hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars, so we have to leave those judgments to the engineers.

Any progress in regards to DX11 support?

Right now we're about finished with the rendering aspects. Yoshida has seen it once, we're working now tos ee how far we can go with expression in DX11 to achieve things we couldn't in DX9.

Is there any one memory over the past year that sticks out the most to you?

I seem to only remember the hardships. Probably the most memorable to me was all of the trouble we had with Early Access in North America because I wasn't able to go home for most of September.

Because of all the players gathering around them, the S rank monsters often disappear during battle. Do you have any countermeasures planned for this?

We already put some countermeasures in to try to prevent this from happening, but we've still heard that they aren't visible. Among the development team, we've been considering the reasons that they aren't visible and we've come up with a solution that we want to implement in the next patch.

Can you tell us the race, gender, and job of the character you personally play as?

I was playing Paladin as a male Roegadyn, but I was getting a lot of emergency phone calls late at night while I was leveling up. If this happened during dungeons, it got really annoying to others, so I'm trying different ones out now.

Are there any plans to implement open-world dungeons like in the original FFXIV?

Kasuga: I'll leave this one to Yoshida.
    Yoshida: With the overlap of the Second Coil entrance and the new Beast Tribe location, there's been a really high population density. When we plan new content we have to consider the population density in field areas. Although we can plan for it a bit, it can be difficult to balance the rewards depending on the population density. Like, something might not be clearable by small groups but would melt as a large horde passes through, so we'd have to add more to be cleared by something like 80 people. This kind of thing would be good when it was first added but would become tough later on.

When we first started building the new FFXIV, we heard some players say they wanted open-world dungeons, but putting a dungeon out in the open world created some instability and would be cleared really fast, so we decided against it at the time. For field areas now, we're considering whether we should add a system to divide them into different sections.

What are the first things you work on during development?

It depends on the scale. For large-scale things, we have to consult with the various stakeholders and personnel running the projects so we can decide who needs to work on them and how long it will go on for. So the first thing is determining the staffing and the scheduling.

Do you have any plans for Mac support?

Kasuga: We actually saw the game in motion on an actual Mac yesterday. I'll let Yoshida talk more about it.
    Yoshida: I saw it in motion on the Mac version yesterday. The graphics are still quite buggy, but even though the animation performance was pretty poor on the Mac, the UI seemed to work quite well. Right now we have to determine whether it's a good business proposition. A sizeable proportion of computer sales are Macs, so there has been an overall increase in the number of Mac users, but many Mac users do not use them for gaming. Since there's a possibility that the market share of Mac gamers is pretty low, we need to look into this to see how many new users we could get. If we release a Mac version, we would also have to make business decisions about server resources for the Mac version. Since we need to run "A Realm Reborn" as a business, we have to be sure that we aren't suddenly spiking the maintenance costs of the game, so we need to do whatever makes the most business sense.

Any possibility of taking advantage of PS4 second screen support, like for character input on an iPhone?

This would change the game experience so we have no plans for it. I wonder if there would be any good applications for it. Since this wouldn't be the primarily used device, I'll see whether players have any more feedback about this.

Do you have anything you want to mention to Yoshida?

Well, I say most of the things I want to say already, but I guess after that I'd mention to please take care of yourself.

When you started work on A Realm Reborn, what one thing did you want to fix most?

I can't even remember half of it. I can't really identify one thing because there were so many services we wanted to update without having the proper specs that decided at the time that we had no choice but to rebuild the whole thing from scratch. So...I'd have to say everything.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Why haven't you been able to relax the entry restrictions into the Bahamut's Dungeons with the Second Coil?

It's not that we haven't been considering it, but the current situation is the best we've come up with so far. If people could get the items and then help other people get their items, it would lead to fast inflation of item levels which we want to avoid. We are taking all of this into consideration, but for now we don't have a solution.
    it would lead to fast inflation of item levels which we want to avoid

Well, that bus quite obviously left the station a couple of months ago. I'd hazard a guess that The Hunt has caused way faster item inflation than relaxing the Second Coil lockout ever would have done.

Also, totally called 2.38 for Novus upgrade. Seems it'll be best in slot when 2.4 rolls around, if you can get the grind done in time. Probably going to upset some people who still mistakenly believe that Novus is trivial.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Relic weapons will never be trivial. People just get so comfortable with the high end weapons they get from endgame and forget that they will be outdated within 6 months.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by blowfin View Post

Well, that bus quite obviously left the station a couple of months ago. I'd hazard a guess that The Hunt has caused way faster item inflation than relaxing the Second Coil lockout ever would have done.
    Yeah, The Hunt was obviously totally bungled. He kinda mentions that here where he says the B ranks were never really intended for groups of people (let alone hordes), and even the S ranks are getting more people showing up than they planned for. I suppose that's what happens when you tie maximum item level rewards to brainless, repeatable content - who'da thunk it?

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by blowfin View Post

I didn't even think about this when I read it the first time, and holy shit you're so right...

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I took it as HA weapons, but I guess you're right when unweathered gear is BIS in some slots for some classes.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Relic weapons will never be trivial. People just get so comfortable with the high end weapons they get from endgame and forget that they will be outdated within 6 months.
    Relic weapons become outdated just the same after 6 months when a new upgrade quest appears. Main upgrade difference between coil and relic is that relic is a slow steady and grindy growth whereas coil weapons "upgrade" irregularly and in a big ilvl jump through RNG and a lockout.

Edit: To put it in a different perspective, consider Soldiery weapons as part of the "upgrade" path to High Allagan just as Atma/Animus are part of the Novus upgrade path.

Turtle Apprentice
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kame Aoren
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I don't know why the discussion, we all are doing relics/animus/novus for the Glow onry.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Relic weapons become outdated just the same after 6 months when a new upgrade quest appears. Main upgrade difference between coil and relic is that relic is a slow steady and grindy growth whereas coil weapons "upgrade" irregularly and in a big ilvl jump through RNG and a lockout.

Edit: To put it in a different perspective, consider Soldiery weapons as part of the "upgrade" path to High Allagan just as Atma/Animus are part of the Novus upgrade path.
    We really don't know how it will play out, it's just the current order of operations for now. However, I will guess that Relic will reign supreme after it's all said and done. Simply by virtue of the questline becoming exceptionally long in the very end. They will definitely ease up certain portions of the quest over time, but that doesn't deny the fact that the quest will eventually be tons of man-hours to complete if it goes well into 3.0.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Didn't they say next stage is last stage?

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Pooke View Post
    Didn't they say next stage is last stage?
    Nope. Some statements along the lines of "The next stage is (currently) the last stage" are what has been said, but they've never indicated that it'd be terminal, or else there'd be almost no reason to do it.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

vaguely recall someone saying that relic weapons would end up being the ultimate weapons by the end of the questline. wouldn't expect that for a while though, especially since the "hardcores" would cry foul at "casuals" being able to have the best stuff, they're probably trying to avoid that level of outrage atm while endgame stabilizes

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I wouldn't be surprised if Relic weapons exits the realm of "casual content" either.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    However, I will guess that Relic will reign supreme after it's all said and done.
    what is that suppose to mean? when they shut the servers down or when they stop updating the game with new stuff and makes everyone quit? when is an MMO "all said and done"?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

He did say relics would take a new form and used Curtana turning into Excalibur as the example.

With Vertical progression there will be no end all item like 11s REMs.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    He did say relics would take a new form and used Curtana turning into Excalibur as the example.

With Vertical progression there will be no end all item like 11s REMs.
    I think this is what threw people at first when they saw Burtgang et al in the DATs.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil View Post
    what is that suppose to mean? when they shut the servers down or when they stop updating the game with new stuff and makes everyone quit? when is an MMO "all said and done"?
    Just a figure of speech. I mean that Relics will [likely] be the best in the unforeseeable future. As Taint mentioned, there's no horizontal progression in this game, so there will always be weapons getting constantly outdated and no static weapon people will be using for years (outside of the Relic weapon, which will be constantly updated).