Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Obedient Mormon is Excommunicated for Organizing a Campaign to Ordain Women to Priesthood

Kate Kelly stands frozen at an empty intersection in Salt Lake City. There is no traffic coming in either direction.

"I need to wait for the signal," she says, "I'm obedient, I'm a Mormon." She laughs, her eyes twinkling behind her thick, retro-style glasses.

But if Ms Kelly thinks she's an obedient Mormon, her Church leadership does not. She was excommunicated in June for founding a campaign to ordain women to the priesthood.

"You know, normally excommunication in our Church is for really grave sins like murder and child abuse," she says. "I was excommunicated for stating a fact, which is that men and women are not equal in our Church."

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) - which claims a membership of 15 million worldwide - any male from the age of 12 and "in good standing" can join the priesthood. No female can.

Unlike other churches, including the Church of England which last month agreed to allow women priests to be promoted to bishop, the LDS Church does not have a professional priesthood. It operates what it calls a "lay" clergy - male members take turns to fulfil the roles.

Take the bishop of Ms Kelly's former ward in Virginia - the man who excommunicated her. He is a lawyer for ExxonMobil.

She is also a lawyer, a human rights lawyer, and she sounds like one as she dissects the process her bishop and other male leaders followed to remove her from the Mormon faith.

"We're talking about an Inquisition," she says. "The men who punished me think they are kicking me out of heaven."

The 33-year-old clearly does not agree, and she is unrepentant for founding the web-based group, Ordain Women, where several hundred men and women have posted their profiles in support.

While there have been earlier calls for the ordination of Mormon women, Ms Kelly's group posed a new challenge, using the web and modern, political methods to agitate for change. That prompted the Church leadership to take tough action.

Mike Otterson, the managing director of public affairs for the LDS, says he will not speak specifically about Ms Kelly's case, but he insists that the excommunication process is always fair, conducted locally, and decided only after careful consideration.

"We often refer to these proceedings as courts of love," he says.

"We show a great deal of patience, because ultimately, frankly, there's a soul at stake here and we're concerned about that."

He insists that women already have a lot of responsibility in the Church, including the right to preach from the pulpit, but that most women do not seek the priesthood.

Ms Kelly was excommunicated for apostasy. Dictionaries define an apostate as someone who renounces their faith. But in Mormonism questioning church teaching and, "especially encouraging other people to take the same position," says Mike Otterson, will qualify someone as an "apostate".

Ms Kelly says the charge of apostasy was "completely absurd" and she is appealing against the decision.

Having faced persecution after its founding in the 19th Century, the LDS Church continued to encounter hostility and suspicion, and is still sensitive to criticism.

Kate Kelly has crossed a red line, says Kathleen Flake, a professor of Mormon studies at the University of Virginia. Mormonism functions as a family, she says.

"And if the family's going to fight, it's very disloyal to have that fight outside the family."

The male hierarchy speaks of a Church that is led by divine revelation and follows the Bible. Jesus and the apostles were male, and Jesus did not ordain women. Full stop.

But those on the side of women's ordination - a small but vocal minority - insist that the leadership at the top has changed its position on one critical issue before.

The exclusion of black men from the priesthood is a long and painful chapter in Mormon history. The leadership changed that in 1978, after what they described as a revelation from God, and more than a decade after the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

So, if God can change his mind about black people, why, asks Kate Kelly, can he not do so with women?

"It's a red herring," says Mike Otterson. He says that the Church leadership had put out statements before 1978 indicating that the ban on black male priests was temporary, based on comments made by the early leader, Brigham Young, among others.

"There is no such condition you can cite in relation to women's ordination. It is simply not on the agenda for the Church," he says.

Gender differences are clearly defined in Mormonism and central to the theology. The Church teaches that families will stick together in the afterlife. Men will inherit planets. Women will help populate them.

And while the practice of polygamy was dropped in 1890, the concept remains in the afterlife. A man can be married or "sealed" to more than one woman after death, but not the other way around.

If the religion is so patriarchal, why does Kate Kelly want to return to the fold? She could join a more liberal offshoot, the Community of Christ, which ordains women. Or she could leave religion altogether.

"Mormonism is my spiritual home," she says.

"And if I see that my home needs renovations I invest in making it a better place."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28890069
    http://ordainwomen.org/

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Is the BBC really that slow? This story is old.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

In addition to being old, this isn't political - its a religion. A religion can do just about whatever it wants and I won't care aslong as they're not murdering people, abusing children, burning down other peoples property, etc.

I don't care about Shiites cutting themselves in the name of Muhammad's bloodline on Ashura, I don't care about Jewish people not eating for Yom Kippur, and I sure as shit don't care about Mormons having rules who can be a priest and who can't. Its a religion, whatever inspires them to fulfill that spiritual aspect of their existence is their prerogative.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Sepukku View Post
    In addition to being old, this isn't political - its a religion.
    If religion weren't so often cited as a reason to pursue certain things politically, this would be a meaningful distinction.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Well, now she can join a religion that isn't bonkers.

Spoiler: show
    Tough choice.

Living in Utah and being a former Mormon, I saw this story everywhere I turned. I didn't expect it on BG though.

I have one issue with this lady's campaign. The way I see it, she doesn't actually believe in the religion, she just hasn't accepted that yet.

Mormonism has some very strong tenets that make it clear they are the only ones who have it right. They believe that their leaders are prophets, just like those from the bible. They believe that it is God's church and it is the only true church. So here's where I have to follow her campaign to its logical conclusion. If you don't believe in a major point of doctrine, then how can you believe that the leaders who teach it are really speaking for God? And if you don't believe they're speaking for God, then how do you believe they're true modern prophets? And if you don't believe they're true modern prophets, then the whole thing falls apart because that's at the core of the church. That's what they believe sets them apart from everyone else (they believe they have the whole truth where others only have part of the truth).

I know how hard it is to admit you don't believe in something after believing so strongly for so many years. But if you disagree with something so fundamental to the religion, I think instead of trying to change it, it's time to leave.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Obiron View Post
    I know how hard it is to admit you don't believe in something after believing so strongly for so many years. But if you disagree with something so fundamental to the religion, I think instead of trying to change it, it's time to leave.
    See article re: black priests

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    See article re: black priests
    Or polygamy. They'll change doctrine when it suits them, and explain their way out of it. Of course, it's not these points of doctrine that I disagree with that made me leave. I disagree with something much more fundamental: the existence (or lack thereof) of God.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm also in Utah and didn't really expect this to pop up here. To an atheist, women fighting to gain an imaginary power is funny to me, but the mormon culture is so strong here that I understand how they have a hard time letting it go, even if it's ultimately pointless. I want the same made up powers as men!! Uh, okay lady.