+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by test123 View Post
    The idea is that few gay men have children, if for every 100 gay men, only 99 gay babies are born. Then after many generations there would be no more gays. So the idea that babies don't inherit a gay gene but rather develops the trait during pregnancy sounds more reasonable. Such as the case for downs.
    Except it's not that simple. There is definitely not just one gene that decides if someone is gay or straight. Sexuality is not that simple. It's not just one or the other, with no other possibilities.

Also i guess you are forgetting that gay women exist.

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Except it's not that simple. There is definitely not just one gene that decides if someone is gay or straight. Sexuality is not that simple. It's not just one or the other, with no other possibilities.

Also i guess you are forgetting that gay women exist.
    Right, if genes decided then we would not see one gay twin and the other straight. Makes sense. But if gays are "born that way", something must happen between the splitting of the fertilized egg to make two identical twins and birth.

If I were to talk about gay women I would refer to them as lesbians.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Right, if genes decided then we would not see one gay twin and the other straight.
    No, not necessarily. Again, this is roughly a million times more complicated than you seem to think it is. Being gay is not a one or the other thing. Indeed it is not set in stone at birth, based on one single gene. That much is quite obvious. No one actually thinks that though.

If I were to talk about gay women I would refer to them as lesbians.
    That just makes saying something like this even more nonsensical.
    if for every 100 gay men, only 99 gay babies are born. Then after many generations there would be no more gays.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

we've discussed DNA methylation before, right? basically, some genes can be turned on and off throughout one's life, with much of this happening during early growth periods. they can be affected by pretty much everything.

point is, we don't know shit. just say "there's probably a genetic component" and move on.

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

So if your gay genes can be "switched on" which makes you gay, can they be "switched off"?

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Gay men continue to come out of the gene pool, despite them not passing it on, because the gene that causes it is passed down mother to daughter: Epigenetic Theories of Homosexuality.

To me, that is the most convincing cause. In addition to that is the birth order factors. I am a case for both: my grandmother produced a gay son (4th child), and my mother produced a gay son (2nd child). Time will tell if any of the boys from my female cousins end up gay.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

So if your gay genes can be "switched on" which makes you gay, can they be "switched off"?
    Maybe. Playing god is usually frowned upon by the same people that hate gays.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

it could be one gene, or it could be millions of combinations of genes that all happen to result in gay. and reversing the effect may not be possible. so the answer is "we dont know shit"

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I keep thinking that the "I was born this way" argument does fit my natural view of how things are, but on the other side, wouldn't evolution shut that whole thing down?
    No; it could actually be an evolved trait to help prevent/stop overpopulation.

On a side note, it's very reassuring that every time a girl comes over and I don't do anything with her for my uncle to come in and say "Don't worry, you won't be the first faggot in the family" @.@

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    No; it could actually be an evolved trait to help prevent/stop overpopulation.
    I'm not quite sure thats how evolution works.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Galkaeater View Post
    eh, we went over it in evo biology that homosexuality percentage increases as the population size does in some species.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

human version of lemmings over the cliff. seems reasonable to me

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Did the internet raised money get back to the boy? Hope he isn't actually homeless after all this, and fuck his punk ass parents.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

I might just be stupid
    but how the hell does that work
    surely the percentage of homosexuals in the spieces would either be random or steady

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

eh, we went over it in evo biology that homosexuality percentage increases as the population size does in some species.
    For humans we can't have any data on it that is meaningful in any way. Due to the vast differences in societal norms / religious beliefs homosexuality and homosexual tendencies would be one of the hardest traits to get accurate representation of (for fear of being killed, exiled, etc). The reason it may "seem" that the percentage is going up right now (in first world society) is that there is a civil rights movement going on pretty much worldwide for equality and shit so first-worlders are feeling more and more comfortable with coming out.

Scale it back a few hundred years even and it'll look like we've trended up massively just because if someone knew you were fuckin' dudes you were going to get your head chopped off.

And given that civilization is about 7000 years old max, we couldn't get significant trend data even if we wanted to. Our generational gaps are too large for any meaningful evolutionary change regarding population in that timeframe. (Especially because overpopulation is a problem that is 200 years old at most.)

tl;dr Nah, nope.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I'm no evolution buff but I call huge bullshit on this.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Homosexuality is completely normal within the animal kingdom, and in some species of animals, even have a specific role.

The Ruff bird is a good example. It has 4 different "genders". Or rather, 2 genders, but the male gender has three variations. There's the typical territorial male, which consists of the vast majority of the male population. They protect their territory against other territorial males and females. Then there's the so-called satelite males, which are smaller than the territorial males. They run between the different male territories, and are tolerated by the other territorial male birds because the presence of the satelite males attract additional female birds. There's also a third, much rarer variant of male bird, whose plummage mimics that of the female birds. The interesting thing is that, although ther appearance is that of the female birds, they often act as a "top" in mating rituals with territorial males, but often appear as bottom with satelite males. Homosexual copulation amongst these birds are actually thought to attract more females - although it may be because a "gay" bird attracts satelite males, which in turn attract more female birds.

Even amongst a lot of more "normal" animals, homosexuality exists. Homosexual bird couples are seen to adopt or take care of the offspring of other birds, suggesting that homosexuality might occur to increase the odds of babies to survive by allowing animals who can't have children themselves to help out raising the young - which is of extra importance if the parents were to die.

Scale it back a few hundred years even and it'll look like we've trended up massively just because if someone knew you were fuckin' dudes you were going to get your head chopped off.
    Not true; in a lot of societies, homosexual behavior was accepted or even encouraged. Organized religion fucked that up for everyone by making it outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Galkaeater View Post
    To be fair, we don't know how or why homosexuality appears. If the occurance of homosexuality increases with higher population (I'd have to find the study again, so until then I won't say that it's true), it's possible it's hormonal. With an increased population in mice, it would make the animals more stressed. Is it really hard believe that stress, for example, while the fetus is developing, would trigger homosexuality? Hormone levels play a huge role in the development of the fetus. I don't see why that would be impossible. It doesn't neccesarily have to be genetical. There's nothing to suggest that a "gay gene" exists.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    Homosexuality is completely normal within the animal kingdom, and in some species of animals, even have a specific role.

The Ruff bird is a good example. It has 4 different "genders". Or rather, 2 genders, but the male gender has three variations. There's the typical territorial male, which consists of the vast majority of the male population. They protect their territory against other territorial males and females. Then there's the so-called satelite males, which are smaller than the territorial males. They run between the different male territories, and are tolerated by the other territorial male birds because the presence of the satelite males attract additional female birds. There's also a third, much rarer variant of male bird, whose plummage mimics that of the female birds. The interesting thing is that, although ther appearance is that of the female birds, they often act as a "top" in mating rituals with territorial males, but often appear as bottom with satelite males. Homosexual copulation amongst these birds are actually thought to attract more females - although it may be because a "gay" bird attracts satelite males, which in turn attract more female birds.

Even amongst a lot of more "normal" animals, homosexuality exists. Homosexual bird couples are seen to adopt or take care of the offspring of other birds, suggesting that homosexuality might occur to increase the odds of babies to survive by allowing animals who can't have children themselves to help out raising the young - which is of extra importance if the parents were to die.

Not true; in a lot of societies, homosexual behavior was accepted or even encouraged. Organized religion fucked that up for everyone by making it outlawed.
    A lot depends wholly on your metric.

Long and short of it is that it was still a small percentage of the whole who wouldn't punish you for it. Organized religion has been around for quite a while.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    I'm no evolution buff but I call huge bullshit on this.
    I think its less about the bullshit, and more the fact that it would take a massive undertaking to document it and prove it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

which is why cream mentioned that it has been observed in other species.