Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Why is Ebisu's fishing rod so valuable ?

Why is Ebisu Fishing Rod so valuable? What can it do that Lu Shang's can't?

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It doesnt break, evar

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Well that's OP.

Other than that though, is fishing even worth it? Haven't used fishing since rusty caps got nerfed

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Not so much OP anymore, I would think. Since Ebisu would never break, it was the perfect botting tool for exceptionally heavy fish that sold to the NPC well before the nerf. Though I don't play anymore, I've heard about the nerf -- I wouldn't think that Ebisu is that valuable anymore, unless they've added new NPCable profit fish.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Haks is like 30k an hour now.... so yeah it's horrible now and worthless. Maybe they will add something else but I doubt it

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thank god I never went for Ebisu... just trotted along selling Mercanbaligis in Nashau.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thank god I finished Ebisu the week Haks were released.

Ebisu is still useful for getting Matsya, which is traded in for a chance at Shaper's Shawl. It's a bitch to get even with the Ebisu (requires rare consumable bait and line breaks are common), but accordingly it sells on the market for about 170k per on my server (used to be way, way more).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sure you can still get matsya but those are poor gil too.

Say you spend 4 days fishing CC to make about 200 bait and iirc you get around 900 gil per trade so 720k. When you could get the mobs up and hold them I'd get about 1 matsya for every 8-10 bait but I don't think you can do that anymore so would be more around 1 per 10-12 assuming you pull up items. So max 20 matsya from that amount of bait netting you 3.4mil you can fish a little after that if you have time but you basically end up making a little over 4mil over the course of 5 days... while having to do things that will require more input than npcing or even ahing like trading to npc for bait and dealing with matsya and bazaaring takes time away from fishing

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Sure you can still get matsya but those are poor gil too.

Say you spend 4 days fishing CC to make about 200 bait and iirc you get around 900 gil per trade so 720k. When you could get the mobs up and hold them I'd get about 1 matsya for every 8-10 bait but I don't think you can do that anymore so would be more around 1 per 10-12 assuming you pull up items. So max 20 matsya from that amount of bait netting you 3.4mil you can fish a little after that if you have time but you basically end up making a little over 4mil over the course of 5 days... while having to do things that will require more input than npcing or even ahing like trading to npc for bait and dealing with matsya and bazaaring takes time away from fishing
    the past few weeks i've been getting about 20 matsya/100 bait, though i don't disagree with the rest (having to have a buyer)

also, why can't you hold the mobs anymore?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Not saying Matsya fishing is worthwhile, but it's the only way to get Shaper's Shawl. Just pointing out another use for the rod, since there aren't many.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by kjLotus View Post
    the past few weeks i've been getting about 20 matsya/100 bait, though i don't disagree with the rest (having to have a buyer)

also, why can't you hold the mobs anymore?
    Maybe they upped it or you getting lucky or I just had really bad luck. I did it for a few months several years ago and then after shapers was introduced for a good month though not recently. Overall half my bait went to jelly fish. If monsters were in the water about 1/8 went to that and of the rest between 60-75% were line breaks.

As far as mobs I haven't tested it so can't say for certain but a few updates ago they mentioned they were changing so stuff you fished up wasn't in a set pool so no matter how many fishers you had it wouldn't effect the odds of getting anything. I assumed that made it so you could keep fishing up monsters till the cows come home.

This reminds me to get a shapers for my mule thouhg

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    As far as mobs I haven't tested it so can't say for certain but a few updates ago they mentioned they were changing so stuff you fished up wasn't in a set pool so no matter how many fishers you had it wouldn't effect the odds of getting anything. I assumed that made it so you could keep fishing up monsters till the cows come home.
    my brother and i have been holding mobs for each other while alternating fishing, and no more mobs spawn after the 2 pugils, 2 leeches and crab over ~8 hours of fishing

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hmmm wonder what they meant with that update then...

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I kinda think they meant the pool of fish, not mobs or items. Though i cant imagine them putting like 50 haks in the fish pool for all the fishers to pull out. But isnt that how chocobo diggin works too? like when geo came out and people dug for petrified logs. someone would rape the zone and nobody else could get a log for like an hour or whatever til it replenished. Its kinda funny and a bit supersticious too but sometimes with pop items like in abby, when u have those long droughts of no pop drops and then suddenly they come flooding in, sometimes that seems to coincide with a day change or hour change (real life).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah but fish didn't really make sense considering I've had the same exact fish ID on the line with 3 different characters at the same time and all of the could pull it up just fine and never really noticed a change in bite/catch rates comparing alone fishing to 50 people in beau

Interesting note: High enough Mog Garden dredgers (mine's at 7) will occasionally pop the rare baits. Not that they're much use to non-fishers, but they're there.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

You can also just get Matsya from mog gardens but they're much more rare than drill calamari/ dwarf pugil. I've probably got half of a stack of each bait on a mule and I'll probably never get around to using them since my fishing skill is like 8.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Its funny cause i was gettin a rare bait or matsya pretty much at least once a day. then i took a break from everything not furrows to get rank 7. So i started using the other things now i am finally 7 and i havent gotten a rare bait/matsya yet