1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 48 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 6 hours, 48 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BRD DPS extremely low on dummies.

Hi all,

Ideally I’d like you to fire questions back at me in regards to the below. Hopefully by doing so, the reason will become clear.

I am a i106 BRD looking for a group capable of comfortably downing T9. I ‘found’ that group and rightfully so they requested to check my DPS against a dummy.

I parsed 280 DPS over what I would gauge to be 3-4mins on a dummy. Now I have no reason to question the validity of the figure. The chap parsing me seemed pretty down to earth and eager to give feedback. But that seems rather low to me. I don’t care for making excuses, it is what it is and that’s fine. For those who need the additional info: I didn’t use food/pots. I’ve also never even hit a striking dummy before and found it hard to land Misery’s End. The dummy just died rather than fell into the 20% bracket (not that I believe using Misery’s end to test DPS produces reliable/realistic figures).

I am someone who very much doesn’t settle for second best – so I promptly check forums for benchmarking purposes and I’m seeing 370-400’s. This leads me to believe one thing, something must be fundamentally wrong with my rotation.

Here’s a rough summary of my rotation:
    - BV Foe’s
    - Striaght Shot > Bloodletter > 1 Buff > Windbite > 2 Buff > Venemous > Barrage > Flaming Arrow
    From this point the abilities used are based on a priority system in my opinion. Always have Straight Shot up, keep DOTs up (don’t clip them). Always hitting Straight shot on proc and weaving buffs/silence/repell between Heavy/Straight/BL as soon as they’re up.

The only (apparently unnatural/DPS limiting) thing I do is use a macro for heavy shot. This is as follows:
    - Heavy Shot
    - Bloodletter
    - Misery’s End
    - Internal Release
    (I’m not sure why I still have internal release on this macro honestly, I think it was because it’s the buff that refreshes the fastest? Can’t remember).

I have Bloodletter and Misery’s End on a separate button, I use this macro as my spam button which will catch any Bloodletters/Misery’s End I do not notice right away due to participating in mechanics or what-not.

So what’s the deal? Any advice would be much appreciated. I would ideally like to see some honest numbers from the community for me to compare with.

Thanks!

The below is kind of irrelevant but gives some additional context,
    I do not parse, nor do people who I play with regularly parse. The only figures I can go off is a 310 average over 3 fights on Titan Ex, and the last T9 run someone claimed I was at 292 (n=1). I care not for these figures; if I want more reliable data I’ll seek it but it’s something to compare my dummy DPS against, which just doesn’t quite add up (No DRG present… unless being in a full party boosts DPS)?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Being in a party will give you a DEX bonus, so yes that will boost your DPS. I think for anyone to be giving you worthwhile feedback, you should post an ACT report of a dummy parse.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

My first question would be what weapon you're using
    My 2nd would be all the rest of your gear

At this point, anyone running T9 should be i110 or damn close to it, so I'm a bit confused why you'd be i106. I think my BRD is i106 and it's my secondary job (with only 1 coil2 piece -- belt).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serenseven Dertavernen
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Being in a party will add at least 16 DEX if you're i106, more if your i110 pieces are on your left side. The DRG will add piercing vulnerability, and food will add something like 25-30 crit. Each one is minor by itself, but all three would have a decent impact.

If you can't/won't parse, at least link your character to your profile so we can examine your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    At this point, anyone running T9 should be i110 or damn close to it, so I'm a bit confused why you'd be i106. My BRD is i106 and it's my secondary job (with only 1 coil2 piece).
    That depends on whether one went in for the Hunt bullshit early on or not. If you didn't, you've only had time to get one Sand from the daily/weekly marks so far. Depending on coil RNG, it is quite possible, maybe even likely, to be T9-ready and still i106.

On the other hand, OP said he "doesn't settle for second best" and therefore he should have done the Hunts enough to Sand and Oil everything. So in his case I agree with you: Why is he not i110 (or i109 if his HA ring hasn't dropped yet)?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    My first question would be what weapon you're using
    My 2nd would be all the rest of your gear

At this point, anyone running T9 should be i110 or damn close to it, so I'm a bit confused why you'd be i106. I think my BRD is i106 and it's my secondary job (with only 1 coil2 piece -- belt).
    My BRD does coil at i106 because HA Bow, hands and ring refuse to drop. Since Auroral ring is a complete waste of Soldiery (Judgement + Melded Iolite ring), Amon hands beat Auroral, I would say you are making assumptions.

To OP those DPS numbers look fine. Context is the most important thing.

T9 is a lousy way to compare DPS, for one you have interruptions from dives etc. Not only that but unless your group facerolls the fight regardless of buffs, it is usually a good idea to save buffs for DPS checks. If you happen to run with another BRD then stats like total number of hits is a more useful metric than DPS numbers.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mirai Amariyo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh Mallow View Post
    Here’s a rough summary of my rotation:
    - Striaght Shot > Bloodletter > 1 Buff > Windbite > 2 Buff > Venemous > Barrage > Flaming Arrow
    Now, i'm by no means an expert bard, but I have a set rotation that i've been using for a long time, and I was able to beat this parse you had against you rather easily (no food/pots as well and at i104)
    So, figure i'll share my opening rotation and whatnot, it may help you with an initial boost in your numbers.

Flaming Arrow > Straight Shot > Internal Release > Windbite > Bloodletter > Venomous Bite > Blood for Blood > Heavy Shot > Barrage > Heavy Shot > etc./see below.

I will generally cycle through my other buffs, using them during GCD time and hitting Heavy Shot as soon as CD is ready.
    Bloodletter everytime it's up obviously. Same with Straighter Shot.
    I also try to reapply my dots as Windbite counts down to 2 as this will usually allow me minimal overwrite, and running the same rotation (Windbite > Bloodletter > Venomous) will keep the counters consistent.
    The advantage to having Straight Shot and Internal Release up right out of the gates is both of your dots are going to get the crit bonuses. That means bloodletter is going to proc like a mother fucker off your initial dots.
    Blunt Arrow is another off-GCD ability that i'll burn anytime it's up (although I tend to reserve this in fights that required it, such as ADS)
    As buffs begin coming back up, i'll weave them into my normal shots while GCD is active.

Hopefully this might help you out, but like i said, i'm no expert on brd, i know there's far better advice out there, it's just a fun offspec I like to play with sometimes.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Since you already have Bloodletter/Misery's End on a spam macro, you don't really need a heavy shot macro. Just use heavy shot by itself and move internal release to its own button as well.

280 is definitely low though, but your stated rotation/priority doesn't seem too far off so I'm not sure where the issue is. If I were looking for a T9 BRD I'd expect to see at least 325 with i106 and a 110 weapon. I'd suggest using the dummies at the Summerford Farms port as a Bard since you can abuse Misery's End on the FC house dummies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh Mallow View Post
    The only (apparently unnatural/DPS limiting) thing I do is use a macro for heavy shot. This is as follows:
    - Heavy Shot
    - Bloodletter
    - Misery’s End
    - Internal Release
    (I’m not sure why I still have internal release on this macro honestly, I think it was because it’s the buff that refreshes the fastest? Can’t remember).
    I think it's better to keep Heavy Shot as its own button, since it's on the GCD. You can keep all the off-GCD abilities on a separate macro.

I understand that it's best to pop off-GCD abilities ASAP (otherwise you're limiting their potency), as well as dumping River of Blood procs.

However, I believe that the half-second animation delay of BL (and longer for ME), will delay the next Heavy Shot (which has a fairly short animation lock?). I could be wrong, though.

EDIT: I'm also not sure where you're getting the 370-400 figures from. Those numbers seem on par for T8, which is a striking dummy, but for something like T9, which you aren't active for large parts of the fight, you'd have to have help from a DRG to even come close to 370.

It would be a pain to link gear as i'm currently on iPhone. But i'm Marsh Mallow of Excalibur if it helps you to find me. For those that cant, I run a rather crit heavy build (i110 weapon is crit/det Novus). My accuracy is a pitiful 457 iirc so have to consume acc food (Im missing HA hands and head, the two pieces yeilding Acc)

I should have been clearer. The 370-400 are DPS figures quoted by other BRDs on dummies (not figures from T9)

Unfortunately I dont have the parse, it was done by the chap testing me. I have a friend who can and will go with him tonight to try again. Will post results as im interested myself.

In regards to why i'm 106. Currently waiting for BiS HA pieces. I have 1.5k soldiery and figured should it be required I am 110 (by the group I join) i will just buy soldiery gear to cover me.

Double Post

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Using 3-in-1 macro shouldn't give you a huge DPS drop compared to "normal" DPS. One of our BRDs uses it and he generally parses very well (Judai, will probably pop in here at some point). Without seeing you in action all I can really guess is that you aren't mashing buttons hard enough and you're missing a bit of GCD time every GCD, which can certainly add up to a larger DPS loss.

Also a possibility that the person parsing you was doing it wrong, somehow.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Main reasons BRDs have lower DPS (general list): 1) Not good at mashing off GCD fast enough or missing them. 2) Not consistent at keeping dots up and taking max advantage of buffs in regards to dot application. 3) Not getting enough auto attacks due to either personal habits of movement or whatever else.

Lot of other specific ones. Those are the general ones.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think I usually start off at like 500dps for the first 30s and then it keeps decreasing the longer the fight goes on. I don't think you should ever be below 300 on a dummy until you run out of tp. Maybe I'll hit some dummies today and report back.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Here's the guy's lodestone profile, for those curious.
    http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...acter/4380682/

Could upgrade head (+6DEX +25SS -3Acc -15Crit) and neck (+2DEX +13Det +13Acc -12Crit -17SS) to Auroral, but otherwise looks fine. Upgrading those won't substantially increase your DPS. You've already said that "My accuracy is a pitiful 457", which makes me rather shocked that you haven't upgraded to Auroral neck.

Seravi's suggestion of your parse buddy having messed up settings makes me wonder if they have other peoples' auto-attacks filtered out. That seems to be the most common mistake that I've encountered.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Idk how your computer runs or internet but that is a big factor as well. In the housing area I would parse 389-398 every time on my 107 blm. In the farms I parsed 432. This was over an hour of testing and wondering why I was parsing low on blm and mnk.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

There is a huge BRD thread with tons of info, including rotations people use just a couple pages back.

Your macro is pretty goofy, I would suggest;

/micon "Heavy Shot"
    /ac "Misery's End" <t>
    /ac "Heavy Shot" <t>
    /ac "Bloodletter" <t>

Your macro isn't what is killing your DPS though, as macros don't hurt most players.

Your rotation seems fine, so it has to be something else you are doing, like not clipping dots, not re-applying dots before buffs wear, hitting buttons slowly, etc. 292 is decent for T9 if it is un-merged. I generally push 305-325 on T9, un-merged, personally.

BRd Thread, with my rotation and others on the same page.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/117...=1#post6171033

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    There is a huge BRD thread with tons of info, including rotations people use just a couple pages back.

Your macro is pretty goofy, I would suggest;

/micon "Heavy Shot"
    /ac "Misery's End" <t>
    /ac "Heavy Shot" <t>
    /ac "Bloodletter" <t>

Your macro isn't what is killing your DPS though, as macros don't hurt most players.

Your rotation seems fine, so it has to be something else you are doing, like not clipping dots, not re-applying dots before buffs wear, hitting buttons slowly, etc. 292 is decent for T9 if it is un-merged. I generally push 305-325 on T9, un-merged, personally.

BRd Thread, with my rotation and others on the same page.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/117...=1#post6171033
    thanks good post ;o

i dont play brd much besides lolprimals and ST but good info to improve mine there

i always pop all CDS then BL SS WB/VB lol i guess thats terribad? ; ;

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Not "terribad" but not efficient. You should always try to weave GCD/oGCD(buffs/abilities) for best results though.

I failed to mention it could also be something wrong with the parse. Always best to see a detailed parse when trying to determine or fix a problem. Ask for skill/ability/buff usage and DPS% breakdown per skill/ability and such.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    Not "terribad" but not efficient. You should always try to weave GCD/oGCD(buffs/abilities) for best results though.

I failed to mention it could also be something wrong with the parse. Always best to see a detailed parse when trying to determine or fix a problem. Ask for skill/ability/buff usage and DPS% breakdown per skill/ability and such.
    oky thanks alot for tips

i'll be doing that then from now on

also another question i dont use macros at all, i relay on mouse mostly and kb, would macroing like you mentioned earlier give more adventage?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Assuming perfect use, manual is always superior to macros. That said, if you don't trust yourself to notice when Bloodletter is back up for use, or you simply need fewer buttons to press on your hotbars, macros can certainly be a boon. The difference is minimal either way you choose, so just do whatever you prefer.