• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Razer Blade 14" vs Aorus X3 Plus vs MSI GS60 Pro HALP!

Ok so I'm in the market for a nice computer. But I have a few "standards" you could call them. I'm looking for something thin, relatively light, and good for gaming. I've narrowed my search down to three computers which nearly meet my ridiculously high expectations. So my question is, which of the three computers would be best?

Each has their own sort of downside. The Razer is really hard to justify the price; the MSI apparently gets super hot, and the Aorus... well it's just a little thick. What's your opinion??

Thanks much!

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

thin and light are basically the same thing, good for gaming is another thing, and price is your invisible third.
    basically its pick 2, getting all three is practically impossible

I have heard really great things about the razer though, but it is super expensive. there is a new generation of laptops coming pretty soon with the 800 series video cards which are supposed to be pretty boss, I would look for something with those since the thermal output of the new generation will be better

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Wow what the fuck I didn't know Aorus released a revised ... or second, laptop! Their first one was some SLI setup which was a generation too old (a pair of gtx 765m)

If I had my pick, Razer!!! dat touch screen pad, if it's still there (or is that new one where they abandoned that idea)

There's a specific 13.3 chassis out there which a lot of custom PC vendors (not sure what vendors are in US) are using make an impressive 13.3 inch gamer, but frankly the chassis is fugly, but it's worth exploring: http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast...ng-Laptop.html or http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Pegasu...ptop-p2148.htm (more pics in this link) from 2 reputable UK vendors -- all other custom PC UK vendors carry the same laptop but in different names for this specific chassis

It's also cheaper too, but I dunno much about the thermals. Still, you're either going for the premium, or some knock off which is probably just as functional (no disco lights). If you can find a US vendor with this which allows for customisation then it's worth exploring.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

"QHD" panels, really? My laptop has 1080p on ~14" and that's already on the edge of "everything's getting too small". Sure, there's the scaling function of Windows, but not all programs work with it, and those that don't support it look horrible and/or some UI elements get pushed out of the visible area. Not to mention that even the 870M isn't powerful enough to run recent games on high settings with such high resolutions.

A similar discussion about gaming laptops was going on a bit earlier, in the end I went with the Gigabyte P34G v2. 1080p panel, i7 processor, 860M graphics, option for mSATA SSD + HDD. The fans are sometimes a bit nervous on low-medium load but don't get annoying, while gaming they obviously spin up but still stay on a reasonable volume level. Had no trouble to still hear stuff on my headset (open build). The top stays pretty cool, only the area around the power button and F5-F7 gets warm but is still touchable.
    It doesn't have fancy stuff like multi-color keyboard lights, but I think that's fine. The only thing that really bugs me is the HUGE PSU, it's about as large as 2 chocolate bars stacked and weights almost as much as the laptop itself. But as you already noticed, pretty much any "gaming" laptop has at least one downside.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I've played with the blades and blade pro's, they are definitely fun machines but they are crazy priced. As Sono said, getting all 3 "points" is usually impossible, forcing you to pick 2. The Blade however, is the closest you can get to having all 3, lets say you get 2.5, but you PAY for it for sure. I might go as far as saying you do get all 3 with the blade, but, dat price.

Having an MSI laptop that I bought a couple of months ago, they do get hot, but that is because of the 700 series of gpu's. Current, 800 series gpu's, are much cooler and they are already on the market. MSI's should offer them too. The reason I pulled the trigger on an older series 700 card is because its model performs nearly as well as the 800s, but at the cost of heat, and it was on sale + a $100 rebate... the machine was basically a steal that I couldn't pass up on. I'd rather have the 800 series because typically when people say that they get hot or whatever, they are talking about really warm or uncomfortably warm or seemingly hot... No, not with this thing, it gets burn your hand hot. It gets, dont put any drinks on that side of the laptop because the ice melts in about 30 seconds. There are parts of the keyboard that you can literally get a burn from if you rest your hand there. Get an 800 series gpu.

Well I hate myself for it... but I bought the Razer Blade

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

No don't hate yourself. You saved the cash to treat yourself, enjoy it man! Only the haters (like the alienware haters) would crawl out of the woodwork to say fuck you, can build 3 desktops just as cheap, cheaper laptop, RoG, etc etc

(for the record i owned 2 alienware laptops lol)

Is it the Razer with the touchscreen touchpad? Or the new 14inch 3200x1600 something display mini ultrabook-type laptop?

Its the new 4k 14" model. I couldn't bare to have anything bigger than my current laptop (an Acer M5), so the Razer felt like an overall complete upgrade. Besides, my Nvidia 640M LE is dated

When you had sometime to play with it I'd like to hear your impressions

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Or you could let us borrow it maybe for an hour or two???

I'm loading ArmA 3 currently so we will see how that runs! :D

So yeah, after owning the Razer blade for a bit now, I can say it's pretty awesome. A bit loud, but other than that it runs games smooth!