+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Scotland to vote on independence from the United Kingdom.

This has gotten drowned out in the US by other news as of late. Tomorrow Scotland will vote whether or not it should be an independent state. The debate has gotten pretty intense on both sides. I'm not going to link any specific articles because there are so many and don't really give a good overview of what's going on and seem to have their own opinions. If you want to read up on the subject I suggest the page about it on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence

This is the top story on the BBC's website right now for obvious reasons:

http://www.bbc.com/news/

Live stream:

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-scotland-29233956

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

So, is this like Quebec wanting to separate from Canada, yet wanting to keep Canadian currency and financial backing, or can Scotland actually survive on its own?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

murica leading the free world since 1776

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Seems like such a jump in the dark for Scotland, they have purposely opened up the vote to 16 and 17 year old kids to take advantage of stupid ass teenagers who will vote based on blind patriotism as opposed to considering the actual value of their vote.

At the moment Scotland already receive free prescription meds and free university education... Apparently something they will be ABLE to uphold as an independent nation. The Scots are told that the English dictate their way of life and future, yet a YES vote for independence will just see them be dictated by EU law and policy. Alone i can't see the Scots being able to negotiate their place in Europe, they will be pushed to the worst of terms and have to adopt every stupid little policy to be accepted. At least as the UK we have been able to go some way in negotiating our terms. Scotland alone does not offer too much apart from scotch and salmon.

It will be a sad day to see them separate from the UK. But unfortunately i can't see it going any other way. The Scots are strong willed, patriotic and proud, unfortunately 3 traits which often cause blind ignorance and the Scottish party is playing against it. Its hard to say which way it will go for an independent Scotland, but they already have it a lot better than the English imo and we all live closer to Westminster.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

will this make vacationing there cheaper or more expensive

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Scots just need to ask themselves WWWWD?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

walter white william wallace dudes

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    will this make vacationing there cheaper or more expensive
    Expensive as far as I understand. There's already news/rumours on price hikes lol

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    Scotland alone does not offer too much apart from scotch and salmon.
    Well, that and a massive freaking oil field that should be in their territorial waters just to the north. They'd certainly have more claim to the North Sea oil and gas deposits than the English would.

Also, most polls have shown the vote pretty evenly split-- and that's just Scot votes in Scotland. English/Welsh/Irish/EU citizens living in Scotland get a vote as well, and most are not enthusiastic. Plus, there are petitions by Scots currently residing outside of Scotland to be allowed to vote, and they are pretty strongly in favor (by 14% last I read) of staying in the UK.

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Lol at Lamp's view point of EU policies; made me think it was akin to Soviet Russia.

EU is like the UN when talking to countries already within the EU, especially the old players.

The EU has came into Ireland and deemed tons of things to be human right violations, yet Ireland's govt is like 'Please stop talking about this so we can forget about it until the next govt. comes in'.

Scotland would be able to navigate itself just fine within the EU.

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Also, it's important to note how many Scots feel fundamentally different than their neighbours on a range of issues. I was reading about how they've a huge issue with storage of Nuclear weapons on Scottish soil.

Not to mention that the UK is very England-centric with development and money often being funneled towards the South East.

There's good reason why this referendum has had so much momentum, and it should serve as a clarion call to change within the UK no matter what the result.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Anything to damage those colonizing bastards of England. Also:

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

our very own canada

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    Well, that and a massive freaking oil field that should be in their territorial waters just to the north. They'd certainly have more claim to the North Sea oil and gas deposits than the English would.
    except the North Sea oil fields are indelibly trending towards depletion and have been in steady decline since 1999. all projections foresee the contraction in production continuing if not intensifying.

the idea that Scotland can build a modern economy around energy exports like some angry drunken sheep-gut eating Arabian royal family while losing access to Britain's sophisticated financial and banking systems (or alternatively remain proxy to London's monetary policy while losing all capacity to influence it) is an ill-conceived fantasy.

i mean hey do you Scotland, do you, the right to self-determination is a foremost political principle, just realize how fucked Ireland's economy is compared to the UK's and get ready for a shift in quality of life.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

also, free Wales

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Can't believe nobody put this here yet.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

All I know is no matter what happens, this won't end well.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Kind of hoping the yes wins out. It might give me hope for Puerto Rico.

Don't start that shit again. Then again, we could use less Texas and Alaska...

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Independent Texas wouldn't work. They'd get militant within the year and need to be conquered just so we didn't have a hostile nation right on our borders.