+ Reply to Thread

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Australian anti-terror raids or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Jihad

Australian police have carried out major anti-terror raids triggered by a call from a senior Islamic State militant for "demonstration killings", Prime Minister Tony Abbott says.

The raids, involving at least 800 heavily-armed officers, took place in Brisbane and Sydney.

Fifteen people were arrested and one person has been charged with conspiracy to prepare a terrorist attack.

Police say the anti-terror operation was the largest in Australian history.

Tony Abbott this week announced he is sending 600 troops to the Middle East to assist in the fight against Islamic State.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29245611

Belgium Holocaust museum shooter bro may have been the first but doesn't look like he'll be the last

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

800 heavily armed officers

15 arrests

wat

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Number of arrests vs amount sent is a poor comparison. When you figure they were split into several squads and you never know how heavily armed the suspects are.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    800 heavily armed officers

15 arrests

wat
    These guys like to blow themselves up. I'd have as many people as possible on hand for that type of operation.

Also: the head of the group got away and is still at large. Possible connections in the UK but unconfirmed. Our district commanders are worried enough about him to send out an APB in roll call today.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

that's 53 officers per arrest. i get that they're gonna be split up and whatnot but i wonder how many regular people got raided.

I knew there was something up when Australia suddenly decided to send all those troops but I figured we had asked them to do so. Now I see the fact that they had a specific reason to consider them a threat to their own national security.

I think it would be helpful if the media would stop playing their videos and boasting and bragging about how "Omfg amazeballs sophisticated!" these guys are because they happen know how to make videos and "Omg they don't live in caves like bin laden!".

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

that's 53 officers per arrest. i get that they're gonna be split up and whatnot but i wonder how many regular people got raided.
    Yes, and how many of them were hanging back to catch anyone who tried to run. Not like you are sending everyone in at once. You always have people behind to secure a perimeter, catch any runners, and to watch the backs of the people storming the house. Some of the pictures made it seem like some of the arrests were in residential areas, so you also have people patrolling the streets making sure no one wanders into hot zone on accident.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Doubt many regular people were involved, depending on the level of intel. Probably half went to guard airports, harbors, and high value targets.

These guys have a large amount of money to work with and are pretty well equipped. I wouldn't take any chances. It's one thing to deal with some bangers down the road on the corner or a group of junkies in a meth house. These are terrorists. Military forces have been crushed by these guys and they're getting stronger every day. I'm surprised the police dealt with this and not the Australian military.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

people dont look at the big pic neph, dont stress yourself explaining everything

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    Doubt many regular people were involved, depending on the level of intel. Probably half went to guard airports, harbors, and high value targets.

These guys have a large amount of money to work with and are pretty well equipped. I wouldn't take any chances. It's one thing to deal with some bangers down the road on the corner or a group of junkies in a meth house. These are terrorists. Military forces have been crushed by these guys and they're getting stronger every day. I'm surprised the police dealt with this and not the Australian military.
    Its like people think its a game of Shogun or some FPS, where you send every last member of the team swarming in at the opposition. Bonus points for single-file or line formation.

800 was too few if there were more assholes to capture, IMO.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Australia seeks broad anti-terror powers after foiled beheading plot

Australia's government is seeking broad new security powers to combat what it says is a rising threat from militant Islamists, the prime minister said on Monday, on the heels of sweeping counter-terrorism raids last week.

Under the tough legislation, which Prime Minister Tony Abbott said would be introduced into parliament this week, it would be a crime for an Australian citizen to travel to any area overseas once the government has declared it off limits.
    Legislation requiring telecommunications providers to keep metadata and to make it available to police and security agencies will soon be introduced as well, Abbott said, granting the government broader access to its citizens' communications.
    It begins.