FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Looking for advice on visas/ taxes/ debt

I was given this post to make anonymously to the forums. After reviewing it with mod team we've agreed to let it be posted.

Contents are as follows:

Created a throwaway account mod edit: which the account was banned for, please do not create second accounts on our forums and refer to the rules, thank you as I was recently reminded of the importance of privacy on the internet by a fellow poster.

I've been living in the US for a few years and it hasn't been particularly easy. My visa is technically expiring at the end of the month and while I have to travel to switch to a tourist visa (to which I'm incredibly anxious about not being remitted) I am much more worried about my return to Europe anon.

Brief Backstory:
    Spoiler: show

In typical capitalist fashion I experienced a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Moved over to be with a lover, found an interesting career advancing job, made a host of great friends,

However, about a year ago this changed abruptly. A week before when I would have had to get married my work visa was approved, my relationship deteriorated and I became homeless. Cash flow problem (negative due to visa costs), an exodus of friends (break-up friend politics sucks) meant that I went from an incredibly secure position to the most vulnerable in my life. The story goes on and on with what would be considered more trials and tribulations (my former employer using my visa as leverage, nearly dying, and an interesting temporary career change) but this isn't a wordpress blog. I don't consider myself to be a good or bad person, and understand my questions reveal a less than perfect morality, but, with my very limited options and resources I'm trying to not burn bridges and try to abate my anxieties.

I'm often blown away with the wide range of expertise found on Bluegartr, along with a peculiar ability to converse topics that other avenues on the internet cannot without devolving into a rabble.

Questions:
    1) Taxes. I filed one of those 'delayed payment forms' on the due date (at least I think I filed it correctly?) and didn't do anything since then. My taxes are incredibly complicated apparently because I'm a foreign national and would have at the time cost a fortune in back pay and accountant fees. I was considered freelancer for like a quarter of 2013, and was meant to store away those taxes.

I did out the figures and I should have paid about 2k more than I paid for the year 2013. However, my job ended first quarter 2014, to which I paid over 2k into taxes.
    I didn't and don't want to file for 2013/2014 since they basically equate each other, and I'd have to pay a small fortune in accountant fees and there would be a huge time delay (paying 2k now for 2013, then wait till next year to get the 2014 stuff back, while doing it all from Europe).

Ultimate question: I want to just ignore all this. I don't plan on working in the US for the foreseeable future (at least the next 6/7 years). I will however probably travel to the US say once a year, will I be 'perused' at the border for not filing taxes as I've explained? Would I be perused in Europe for not filing?

2) Credit Cards.
    I have 2.5k in CC debt within the US. I have to high tail it back to Europe taking up most if not nearly all of my cash. If I was to abandon repayments, can I be perused in Europe/stopped at the border if I come back to the US?

3) Drugs.
    I recently purchased a certain prescription drug (that isn't a controlled substance) over the internet for work; where does EU border control stand on passengers traveling with non-controlled prescription substances (in relatively high quantity bout 60 tablets) without a valid prescription?

I appreciate any information you guys might have about the above topics. I'm trying to think of these issues in a harm reduction manner.

Thanks

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Note to the person who requested this anonymously as I did not investigate you: Please don't use me as a soundboard in this thread at any point and time and accept whatever responses you get.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

If you plan on being in the US in the future, take care of the taxes. You may not have any immediate consequences of ignoring the issue, but it will eventually catch up to you.

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

There is no law that requires you to file a tax return.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by test123 View Post
    Except for that whole, you know owing taxes thing.

Please disregard anything test says. Besides constantly speaking out of his ass, he doesn't even live in the US and probably the least qualified person in the history of internet forums to get any sort of legal/tax advice from.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

what if test is the OP? WHAT A TWIST

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by test123 View Post
    Wesley Snipes says otherwise, you stupid fuck.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

test would also probably recommend you get into real estate.

anyway for most of this, you should ask the embassy. that's quite literally their job. Most of what embassies do on a regular basis is help citizens. The foreign relations aspect is actually somewhat small by comparison.

You should definitely file taxes. Even when I had 0 income, my dad still filed for me. Even now, with all of my income coming from state/federal programs, he still files.

Maybe you should think about bankruptcy? It's not as bad as most people think, you get to keep a lot of your assets. I just feel like going fugitive is a really stupid idea.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    anyway for most of this, you should ask the embassy.
    You should definitely file taxes.
    I would second these two thoughts. The rest I cannot speak to. Remember, they got Al Capone for tax evasion... Don't screw with the IRS unless you really plan on never, ever, ever, ever, ever coming back. That shit sucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone#Trials

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the shit test posted sounds like it's from the sovereign citizen movement, which in terms of brain damage are only a step ahead of conspiracy theorists.

I'm guessing (cause I ain't wasting my time watching all that junk), it's based on a kind of habit some of the populace have developed.
    You MUST, PAY your taxes. End of.

But people can get away with not filing the forms. The IRS crunches through their workload regardless, and when they reach you, based on data they get from other sources, determine if/what you owe.
    If it's in their favor, you get a "Hey, where's my money?" letter. At this point, you pay up. But if you go all Snipes, well, they finish up that glass of OJ.
    As a foreign national though, the rules/leniency may be different, and I wouldn't recommend screwing with it.

As they say, the only certain things in life are death and taxes. Transhumanists/futurists will argue the first one. The second though...
    You do not fuck with the taxman.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

For the credit cards: if the info is sent to collections it will affect you. If they catch you lying for something such as taxes, they'll boot you out and will tell you to try again in 10 years (maybe, it depends on country). You'd be surprised what kind of information the US consulate has about you. When you go to the the US consulate they basically are looking for any reason not to let you in. Anyways, clear all your shit before you leave the states.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

1. If you think you don't owe any taxes, it should be safe. The IRS will sometimes file a substitute return for you but their calculations maybe different from yours. You might end up owing money and you'll have a federal tax lien. (will follow you forever).
    2. The statute of limitations for credit cards can be up to 10 years. You may not owe it anymore after 10. However, creditors can sue you and you'll have a judgment against you (can follow you for up to 20 years).

Tax lien and judgments are public records. Both can prevent you from entering the U.S.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Yeah, the shit test posted sounds like it's from the sovereign citizen movement, which in terms of brain damage are only a step ahead of conspiracy theorists.

I'm guessing (cause I ain't wasting my time watching all that junk), it's based on a kind of habit some of the populace have developed.
    You MUST, PAY your taxes. End of.

But people can get away with not filing the forms. The IRS crunches through their workload regardless, and when they reach you, based on data they get from other sources, determine if/what you owe.
    If it's in their favor, you get a "Hey, where's my money?" letter. At this point, you pay up. But if you go all Snipes, well, they finish up that glass of OJ.
    As a foreign national though, the rules/leniency may be different, and I wouldn't recommend screwing with it.

As they say, the only certain things in life are death and taxes. Transhumanists/futurists will argue the first one. The second though...
    You do not fuck with the taxman.
    It's based on ignorance. The argument is that there is no law requiring people to pay or file taxes. However, there is a law that makes the IRS code as powerful as law, and the IRS code requires tax payment/filing. And there are enforcement mechanisms for noncompliance, so even if it were optional you would be punished for "opting out". Failure on all counts.