+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First time purchasing a car

I was looking to purchase a car and I was wondering what are some good websites to see what price people actually paid before I go into a dealership. I recall people linking a few websites that showed graphs and how frequent people got them for certain prices. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go into a dealership with no prior research. I did see an ad for a Toyota Rav4 4WD LE for 22k though and that seemed like a decent deal.

I'm pretty much looking for a crossover/compact SUV with 4WD. I'm too used to driving these cars and I like the trunk space. Driving lower cars feels weird >_> . If people have suggestions that are similar to these criteria please let me know :D

Thing's I've been considering are:
    Honda CRV
    Toyota Rav 4
    Nissan Juke

Thanks

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

www.truecar.com

clearbook.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    www.truecar.com

clearbook.com
    Thanks, could have sworn there was another one but it might have been truecar and the interface changed.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Loving my CX-5. This link has lots of owners on where and how much they paid for theirs:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...price-for-CX-5

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Dont buy new.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Don't have much to offer except for some advice that I learned a few weeks ago when I purchased my first car.

Take your time, and don't rush into it. Go out and look at cars even if you're not planning on getting anything yet, just to look at actual models and see what you like.

I went to two dealerships, a ford and a toyota. I saw a used ford focus that I really liked, then went to the toyota place, saw some corollas that were nice, but I ended up going back to the ford place and getting the used one. Deal wasn't the best it could have been, but was decent, and I really like the car. (I REALLY needed a car that weekend.. was moving and couldnt take the bus to work anymore) It's still in the back of my mind that I could have done so much better, though.

For about two weeks the toyota dealership kept calling me and bugging me, "i have extra money that i need to give away so i can give you a good deal! come back to us!" or some other random shit.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

kbb.com
    nadaguides.com

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

My advice is to buy an old Japanese car off craigslist that will last another 100k miles. Maybe a 2006 Honda Civic 5 speed (or CRV) with 140,000 miles. Drive that until it dies and by the time it's dead you can get your new self driving car with all that extra money you didn't waste at a dealership.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Can confirm. Have old 93 Japanese car I've been using since 00.
    Historic plates soon!

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Juke looks like a frog

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

twins

My wife has had a crv since 2009, it's pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Dont buy new.
    buying new is the best thing you can do, buying used is a huge ripoff and risk. And I'm saying that from the perspective of someone that used to sell cars.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya View Post
    buying new is the best thing you can do, buying used is a huge ripoff and risk. And I'm saying that from the perspective of someone that used to sell cars.
    Why is that? The cost of ownership sans fuel and insurance (but including original purchase cost) on my 95 240 is around $300 a year. Had it since 2001

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

with used you run the risk of buying a car someone didn't maintain properly, which can lead to problems later on. I bought mine used... from the original owners, my parents. It's been great. The used cars they've gotten over the years... not so much. Almost always some sort of problem that crops up after a relatively short period of time.

The real trick with buying used is getting it from an owner who took good care of it. Best used car my parents ever had came from this little old lady who bought new, hit every scheduled oil check, kept it in a garage, and then got too old to drive.

What bane said, also you have no idea what the dealership owns the car for. So they could tell you they are knocking downt he price 8k, but still have another 6 in markup. My old used car sales manager would say "switch to get rich" show someone a new car for 25k and then show thema similar used for 19k and say they are getting a great deal when the dealer owns it for 8.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Buying new or buying used from a dealer with no maintenance records are not the only options. You can buy a used vehicle that has maintenance records, which is not a huge ripoff or risk and also doesn't waste a bunch of cash.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Typically dealerships will let you drive the car for a day. Take it to a mechanic you trust. You can use some of the websites I posted above to get an idea of what other people are getting for vehicles via trade in. Trade in value isn't a shadowy market that no one can peer into.

Skyyla, a consumer doesn't have to know how much the dealer paid to know whether or not they got a great deal on the vehicle. If you can nab a vehicle for 18k where it averages 22k a sale in your area for comparable model, you can consider it a good deal no matter how much the dealer has in it.

Buying used is perfectly acceptable.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme View Post
    I was looking to purchase a car and I was wondering what are some good websites to see what price people actually paid before I go into a dealership. I recall people linking a few websites that showed graphs and how frequent people got them for certain prices. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go into a dealership with no prior research. I did see an ad for a Toyota Rav4 4WD LE for 22k though and that seemed like a decent deal.

I'm pretty much looking for a crossover/compact SUV with 4WD. I'm too used to driving these cars and I like the trunk space. Driving lower cars feels weird >_> . If people have suggestions that are similar to these criteria please let me know :D

Thing's I've been considering are:
    Honda CRV
    Toyota Rav 4
    Nissan Juke

Thanks
    Subaru Forester. AWD >>> 4WD

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I would recommend not going to a dealership until you're ready to sign and close. email dealerships with something like "Hi, I'm looking to a buy an *** with *** options, could you please let me know what you have in stock and your lowest out-the-door price?"

Just repeat that a few times, letting know what your current best price is, and only when you have a final number do you go in to sign and close.

As for cars, I'd probably look at the CX-5 and Crosstrek as well.