• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I need a new unlocked stock 4G LTE phone for use on Verizon

I couldn't find the phone thread. Maybe I made it up.

Looking for the best unlocked stock 4G LTE phone that can be used on Verizon.

I currently use a Droid Razr Maxx or something like that. Think I got it in 2012.

I care about battery life. It needs to last all day. I don't use the camera for taking pictures or videos. I very rarely use the camera for video calls. I stream music all day. I browse webpages. I use Tapatalk. I don't play games. I care about things not constantly locking up and failing to load. I don't go swimming with my phone. I don't drop my phone. I don't need a giant phone, but I don't want a smaller one.

Display: 4.3+ inches
    Battery: 3300 mAH
    RAM: 2+ GB
    CPU: better than a dual core A9@1200MHZ
    Built-in storage: 16+ GB (prefer more)
    External: yes please

I know the Nexus 6 should be coming out soon (maybe next month), but I've gotten for replacement phones in the past year and all have had some issue. Don't know that I want to wait the weeks after that comes out to get one.

Any other suggestions?

Actually if battery life is your thing, I wouldn't recommend any Nexus phone at all.

Droid Turbo is supposed to be the next Droid and the spiritual successor of the Maxx, so you may want to take a look at that.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

G3 do it. I have a G2 and the battery life is just incredible

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Actually if battery life is your thing, I wouldn't recommend any Nexus phone at all.
    I hadn't heard that the Nexus line wasn't good for battery life. I'll have to look into that.

Droid Turbo is supposed to be the next Droid and the spiritual successor of the Maxx, so you may want to take a look at that.
    Do Motorola devices get sold unbranded with stock Android on them? The Verizon shit that I can't remove from my current phone annoys me to no end. The Motorola skin isn't terrible, but Verizon also seemed to have some say in it and certain actions do annoying, non-standard things. I'd prefer to just have the default experience and customize what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    G3 do it. I have a G2 and the battery life is just incredible
    My biggest worry with the G3 (and other large phones) was that they would drain the battery much faster with that 5.5" screen. Most of the time, I don't use my phone's screen that much, but some days I use it a decent amount. Some of the reviews I've seen say the G3 has terrible battery life (to the point where people were saying you could buy a second battery and take it with you). To me, that's an immediate reason not to buy the phone. Other reviews said the battery life is fine. Obviously usage dependent and I imagine I'd be in the latter group, but I'd like to see some more about it before dropping the cash.

Of the phones that I know of and hear about:

Samsung Galaxy S5
    HTC One M8
    LG G3
    Droid Turbo
    Nexus 5

From what I understand, the first three all have manufacturer bloat on them. The fourth will as well. Buying it unlocked from the manufacturer should remove some of that, but when I played with the G5 and One M8 in the store, they just felt nasty. Obviously, they're phone stores that hundreds of people have messed with, but they had a ton of unnecessary changes, lagged opening screens and turning on, and etc. I haven't seen the G3 in person, but from what I understand it also has a lot of that sort of bloat.

The reason I didn't get the Nexus 5 was because it lacked any expandable memory. Now, it seems silly to buy one with the Nexus 6 around the corner, considering the price point and the fact that a refresh is around the corner that will launch with Android L.

Those phone block things would sure be nice right about now. Buy a better CPU and be done with it!

Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon anyway, and it's unlikely that the Nexus 6 will work given the history Google has with Verizon.

The new Moto X has a "pure" edition, but I don't know if Verizon will allow that. I'm pretty sure if you want to run your phone on Verizon, it will have to have what you call those "manufacturer bloat" on them.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon anyway, and it's unlikely that the Nexus 6 will work given the history Google has with Verizon.

The new Moto X has a "pure" edition, but I don't know if Verizon will allow that. I'm pretty sure if you want to run your phone on Verizon, it will have to have what you call those "manufacturer bloat" on them.
    Yeah, I know. I can't say that I won't go away from Verizon, but it was preferred due to the coverage here. I thought I had read that the 6 would, but seems that was a rumor.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Funnily enough, I just read this today:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/All-b...y-life_id60922

Apparently it should be coming to Verizon?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2467026,00.asp

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Oh, that certainly looks nice. Maybe I'll hold of a few more weeks and see what happens. I haven't seen a Sony on Verizon in a long time, so I didn't even think of them. Verizon loves not letting phones on their network and pushing Apple products. Would be great to see that change.