+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Titan Cancelled     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

There are a lot of possibilities why this might've happened. If Titan was going to be an FPS style game or have FPS elements, it's plausible that Activision didn't want it to be competing with the Destiny franchise. In addition, D3's RMAH was almost certainly a test run for Titan's monetization model, and when that didn't pan out it likely threw their entire plan for Titan in disarray.

It's also possible that with the huge success of Hearthstone and how successful LoL/Dota2 are, they want to double down on Hearthstone and HotS which probably have much lower development costs compared to an MMO.

They might end up folding their existing work on Titan into a new IP / new genre instead of an MMO the way they did with Warcraft Adventures and WoW. In any case, this doesn't come as much surprise.

At this point, I just wish they'd throw some more bones at D3 to up build diversity and throw in a few more worthwhile endgame activities. But that probably won't happen since online play is free. Oh, and offline mode for when the servers are being fucktarded.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Destiny has issues, but they're patchable issues. The engine and gameplay are very solid. I'm certainly no fanboy either; I hadn't played an FPS since vanilla Counterstrike in ~2001 before Destiny. Kotaku has the most comprehensive and "correct" review on the game thus far to me:

http://kotaku.com/destiny-the-kotaku-review-1637735501

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    They have tried new things. Heard of Hearthstone? How's that selling right about now.

Blizzard isn't going to release something they view as not good. They don't about what anyone else thinks about it or how much they could make even though its shit. Were I a bigger fan of their overall game lineup I'd probably be tickled by the realization, but as I really don't care about them, it just is what it is.
    I'm fully aware they're doing rather well financially but here's the thing. I don't care about card games, MOBAS, or RTS. I want to see where they take MMO's. Although one could argue Bliz isn't even really an MMO studio with the lineup they have. They got ridiculously lucky once and i don't see it happening again. They know it as well. The push has been to turn MMO's into MOBAs for a few years now. I consider MOBA's a cancer to online gaming so i'm not happy about that.

I still believe the rumors that Titan was going to be a sci-fi MMO shooter. Well Destiny sort of beat them to it in a way. That or they showed that MMO shooters don't work in the scale MMO fans expect.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    I'm fully aware they're doing rather well financially but here's the thing. I don't care about card games, MOBAS, or RTS. I want to see where they take MMO's. Although one could argue Bliz isn't even really an MMO studio with the lineup they have. They got ridiculously lucky once and i don't see it happening again. They know it as well. The push has been to turn MMO's into MOBAs for a few years now. I consider MOBA's a cancer to online gaming so i'm not happy about that.
    lol. so because theyre not making the game you want them to, even though you don't think they can pull it off, you think they're stagnating. you're just full of stupid opinions, aren't you?

anyway i hope they do a completely new IP. I always had the feeling Titan was vaguely attached to the Warcraft universe, and honestly I'm getting kinda tired of their existing IPs. I mean, diablo is fun, but it's not new.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    It also leads to stagnation. You can't improve and get better without failing.
    Yeah, I am going to go ahead and say that Blizzard ain't doin' too shabby.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    I thought there were only going to be two expansions and that was it.
    It's a series and you'll be able to continue to use your same character throughout. I just hope that the next game isn't riddled with plot holes.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet View Post
    In addition, D3's RMAH was almost certainly a test run for Titan's monetization model, and when that didn't pan out it likely threw their entire plan for Titan in disarray.
    The collapse of battle.net's Arcade monetization scheme also supports this particular theory. There's no point in two subscription MMOs in 2014 and beyond and other monetization models (e.g. taking percentages off user sold content) weren't going to offset the continuing costs of supporting Titan.

Blizzard is still going to announce a new game at Blizzcon but it will likely be another thing the size of Hearthstone.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet View Post
    There are a lot of possibilities why this might've happened. If Titan was going to be an FPS style game or have FPS elements, it's plausible that Activision didn't want it to be competing with the Destiny franchise. In addition, D3's RMAH was almost certainly a test run for Titan's monetization model, and when that didn't pan out it likely threw their entire plan for Titan in disarray.

It's also possible that with the huge success of Hearthstone and how successful LoL/Dota2 are, they want to double down on Hearthstone and HotS which probably have much lower development costs compared to an MMO.

They might end up folding their existing work on Titan into a new IP / new genre instead of an MMO the way they did with Warcraft Adventures and WoW. In any case, this doesn't come as much surprise.
    My gut tells me it has to do with them realizing that p2p mmos are still risky and probably wouldn't net them more money, just splitting up their playerbase between it and WoW.
    This wasn't some fast decision. At one point they scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch. I think they were trying to find a method to redo the madness that was WoW, and since they can't, they might as well pump more money into updating WoW's graphics and work on other IPs.

I wouldn't be surprised if in another 5 years or so they start building another mmo again.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    lol. so because theyre not making the game you want them to, even though you don't think they can pull it off, you think they're stagnating. you're just full of stupid opinions, aren't you?
    I wouldn't say that's a stupid opinion if you consider it with a bit of depth.

Warcraft: has made no meaningful progress in close to a decade. Sure, the raiding in WoW has (mostly) gotten better. Questing direction has gotten optimized a bit. But leveling is still mindless fetching, then being at max level is shitloads of mindless fetching plus a raid. Dungeon design, if anything, has gone backwards. Dire Maul still probably stands as the most in depth, creative, and interesting dungeon in the game... 10 years later. PvP hasn't had an exciting change or addition since TBC.

Diablo: Diablo 3 is crap. Really. That franchise being called stagnant would be a compliment, cuz that would mean it was still as unique and cool as it was during Diablo 2.

Starcraft: I don't really know much about starcraft as I haven't really been able to get into RTS since age of empires 2. However, as I understand it, there's really little "new" about starcraft 2 as compared to starcraft. I certainly haven't heard about it advancing the genre in the way warcraft, original starcraft, and age of empires all did.

And then there's hearthstone and hots. Both small scale games, intended for wide audiences that don't care for any meaningful depth. Hearthstone released with like 200 cards, and HotS has been stated repeatedly to have no intentions of directly competing with dota/lol, as it's specifically designed to be a much simpler game with much less depth. (and I really hope that's true cuz having played HotS but not dota or lol, if they're really as stupid as HotS I feel really bad for people that are so obsessed with them)

When it comes to major titles, yes, Blizzard has gotten stagnant as fuck. I mean shit, this is now 2 of the last 3 expansions in WoW that straight up didn't bother with anything new, just redesigns of old areas.

If you're a gamer that's really loved Blizzard as a studio due to titles like warcraft/WoW, starcraft, and diablo... and there really was no other kind of blizzard fan until recently... then yes, the company has gone utterly and completely stagnant. There have been plenty of flash games for years that are more impressive, original, and deeper than the tripe blizzard is focused on selling now.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    It's a series and you'll be able to continue to use your same character throughout. I just hope that the next game isn't riddled with plot holes.
    Plot holes? Destiny needs a decent plot before you start worrying about plot holes.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    I wouldn't say that's a stupid opinion if you consider it with a bit of depth.

Warcraft: has made no meaningful progress in close to a decade. Sure, the raiding in WoW has (mostly) gotten better. Questing direction has gotten optimized a bit. But leveling is still mindless fetching, then being at max level is shitloads of mindless fetching plus a raid. Dungeon design, if anything, has gone backwards. Dire Maul still probably stands as the most in depth, creative, and interesting dungeon in the game... 10 years later. PvP hasn't had an exciting change or addition since TBC.

Diablo: Diablo 3 is crap. Really. That franchise being called stagnant would be a compliment, cuz that would mean it was still as unique and cool as it was during Diablo 2.

Starcraft: I don't really know much about starcraft as I haven't really been able to get into RTS since age of empires 2. However, as I understand it, there's really little "new" about starcraft 2 as compared to starcraft. I certainly haven't heard about it advancing the genre in the way warcraft, original starcraft, and age of empires all did.

And then there's hearthstone and hots. Both small scale games, intended for wide audiences that don't care for any meaningful depth. Hearthstone released with like 200 cards, and HotS has been stated repeatedly to have no intentions of directly competing with dota/lol, as it's specifically designed to be a much simpler game with much less depth. (and I really hope that's true cuz having played HotS but not dota or lol, if they're really as stupid as HotS I feel really bad for people that are so obsessed with them)

When it comes to major titles, yes, Blizzard has gotten stagnant as fuck. I mean shit, this is now 2 of the last 3 expansions in WoW that straight up didn't bother with anything new, just redesigns of old areas.

If you're a gamer that's really loved Blizzard as a studio due to titles like warcraft/WoW, starcraft, and diablo... and there really was no other kind of blizzard fan until recently... then yes, the company has gone utterly and completely stagnant. There have been plenty of flash games for years that are more impressive, original, and deeper than the tripe blizzard is focused on selling now.
    You basically just said "I don't like Blizzard games, so they suck." You didn't really make an argument as to why canceling a bad game somehow makes them stagnant. You basically want Blizzard to invent a whole new genre of game to not be "stagnant".

blax n gunz
    BG Level

AAA development in new IPs is pretty stagnant, but Blizzard is mitigating the risk of innovation by making sure the teams working on the new IPs are really, really small. Titan shed 80%(? I think, I'd have to look it up again) of its team when it was 'rebooted.' Hearthstone's dev team was extremely small for a company like Blizzard. Ditto for the new game getting announced at Blizzcon. It's an approach to innovation designed to reduce any losses at all costs.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    You basically just said "I don't like Blizzard games, so they suck." You didn't really make an argument as to why canceling a bad game somehow makes them stagnant. You basically want Blizzard to invent a whole new genre of game to not be "stagnant".
    Not exactly, it's just that they're completely recycling stuff (even stuff they didn't make in the first place) with everything they do now. It doesn't have to be an entire new genre to be, well, game-changing. See: Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, WoW.

Ridill
    BG Level

Here, lemme put it like this:

Led Zeppelin was fucking amazing. They're easily my favorite band of all time, by miles and miles. They also straight up stole people's songs on a regular basis. Why?

Because they heard those songs, and went... "Wow, that's a pretty good song. I bet we could make it fucking amazing."

And then they did. And it was glorious.

That's what Blizzard did with Warcraft/Starcraft, Diablo, and WoW.

That's absolutely not what hearthstone or HotS are, nor can it really be said that Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2, let alone WoW's recent expansions, are much more than graphical/mechanical improvements.

HS/HotS comparatively would be like... gaga making inferior versions of madonna songs.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Dude had other stupid opinions in that quote. and the argument he presented was stupid.

also have you played d3 since Reaper of Souls? its waaaay better; what it should have been at launch. but yeah, still not new.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Here, lemme put it like this:

Led Zeppelin was fucking amazing. They're easily my favorite band of all time, by miles and miles. They also straight up stole people's songs on a regular basis. Why?

Because they heard those songs, and went... "Wow, that's a pretty good song. I bet we could make it fucking amazing."

And then they did. And it was glorious.

That's what Blizzard did with Warcraft/Starcraft, Diablo, and WoW.

That's absolutely not what hearthstone or HotS are, nor can it really be said that Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2, let alone WoW's recent expansions, are much more than graphical/mechanical improvements.

HS/HotS comparatively would be like... gaga making inferior versions of madonna songs.
    Ummm, Hearthstone is pretty much considered to be crack by a large group of people and has legitimized TCG's in the eyes of many gamers, instead of just being a niche online experience. It really revolutionized online TCG games by paring down unnecessarily and complicated rules which were just hold-overs from the table-top era.

HotS, I am not a mega fan either, but I can recognize exactly where Blizzard is aiming with it and I think they are going to get a much larger portion of the player base than many people think they will (the problem I think in being much less competitive it is going to lose staying power).

So, there are some real arguments, not some inane and ultimately irrelevant analogies.

Ridill
    BG Level

tetra master was entertaining for way longer than hearthstone

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

The two biggest complaints I see against Hearthstone so far are that Blizzard isn't releasing new card sets regularly enough to maintain long-term interest and that the game needs more quality of life features like a spectator mode.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Pretty well if their own financial calls are any indication.
    Damn straight it is. They try things in an intelligent manner: they try things they know will sell and won't interfere with product sales already on the market. I still believe its the only reason we don't have that "New WoW" that devs were talking about wanting to run concurrently with the existing WoW. The suits upstairs want fresh profit, not a diverting of profits from one game to another.

Diablo III doesn't take profits from WoW. Hearthstone doesn't take profits from WoW. Titan is another MMO: were it good enough, it would have taken profits from WoW.