+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I know we have some law school kids here. silly chick fil a debate

So I am having a debate about Chick Fil A on another board.

Basically, most (all?) Chick Fil A places have a day where if you bring in a church bulletin you can get a free chicken sandwich with a combo meal.

Some are saying that is illegal since religion is a protected class and it is excluding religious people who don't go to church (ie go to a synagogue instead).

Others (myself included) say it isn't illegal because they don't require proof of attendance, that many churches put their bulletin online, and you could just print one out without ever stepping foot in a church.

First group saying that wouldn't hold up in court.

I don't think anyone arguing this has actually been to law school though some are trying to act like they have.

Figured it would be interesting to see if anyone else had a good grasp on this.

In so far it seems like they have been doing this for AT LEAST ten years, but no lawsuits have been brought against them over the legality of this.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It is literally no different than a coupon.
    Guess i'll start suing tractor supply co for putting coupons in newspapers I dont buy.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    It is literally no different than a coupon.
    Guess i'll start suing tractor supply co for putting coupons in newspapers I dont buy.
    This type of argument was brought up. But the opposition pointed out that newspapers have nothing to do with religion so aren't a protected class situation.

This is the law they keep bringing up:

http://www.citizensource.com/History...A1964/CRA2.htm

since religions are a special class you can't discriminate.

My defense is: church isn't a protected class, christian (or w/e) is. They are not giving discounts to christians, just those who show up with the church bulletin.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

When I was younger but old enough to drive and go to different service times than my family if I wanted to, but didnt actually feel like going to church, I would stop by and just pick up a bulletin to show my parents I went. Or like you said, print one. Hell, you could make one.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Will they accept my bulletin from the Church of Latter Gay Saints?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/dr/hln/www/...ay_receipt.png

edit:
    http://consumerist.com/2014/08/08/at...hts-violation/
    However, the Freedom from Religion Foundation, an atheist group, was not impressed with this discount. The foundation’s staff attorney sent the diner a letter pointing out that offering a discount to customers who visibly or audibly “pray” at some point during their meal is a violation of the federal Civil Rights Act.

A restaurant, after all, is a place of “public accommodation.” The federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 requires restaurants to be available for “full and equal enjoyment” of all customers.
    All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

Everyone who walks in the door should be treated equally. You can offer a student or senior citizen discount, because age and educational status are not protected groups under the Civil Rights Act.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."
    quote taken from - https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/t...-of-appearance

My interpretation is that everyone has access to this "privilege" whether they attend a church or not. They aren't saying if you attend a specific church you get a discount, right? Just that if you can access a sheet of paper you can get a discount. But if it is illegal wouldn't senior citizen, police, military, etc. discounts fall in the same category? I don't think so.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

yeah this incident was brought up as a defense.

I would imagine the difference though is the actual act of praying in the public space for a discount, which is different from a piece of paper.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    But if it is illegal wouldn't senior citizen, police, military, etc. discounts fall in the same category? I don't think so.
    no because those aren't protected classes:

without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin
    like you can't give discounts to white people.

But as you said, you don't even need to be a christian to get it, just have the bulletin.

AS an aside, now you guys all know how to get some free chicken.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    no because those aren't protected classes:

like you can't give discounts to white people.

But as you said, you don't even need to be a christian to get it, just have the bulletin.

You didn't read "I don't think so". Though age and gender are protected classes. So bars that give a discounted or free cover for women might be illegal?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    You didn't read "I don't think so". Though age and gender are protected classes. So bars that give a discounted or free cover for women might be illegal?
    idk that is why I am asking here 'cause iirc there are some law students (or maybe even graduates by now) who may be able to shed some light on this.

The free cover for women though is a good point. I'll try to bring that up.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Sinse Chick Fil A is privately owned I thought they could do things like this. I have never heard of this though and I live in the south!

Weird, I thought this was going to be a debate about why people are so crazy for chik fil et. I've tried it and I don't get what's so special, the chicken is maybe healthier but it doesn't taste any better than any other fast food place. Personal opinion of course.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

you are high.

i knew there was a reason we got along

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Checker's/Rally's has a better Spicy Chicken for less than half the price.

That said, Chick-Fil-A still shits on everything else.

Checker's >> Chick-Fil-A >>>>>>> Any other fast food spicy chicken

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya View Post
    Weird, I thought this was going to be a debate about why people are so crazy for chik fil et. I've tried it and I don't get what's so special, the chicken is maybe healthier but it doesn't taste any better than any other fast food place. Personal opinion of course.
    I had a bite of their food for the first time this past weekend - a chicken nugget. It was actually chicken and tasted good.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Checker's/Rally's has a better Spicy Chicken for less than half the price.
    Also fries.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

It's made of Jesus

so you're saying it doesn't exist?

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

so you're saying it doesn't exist?