+ Reply to Thread
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

new netgear nighthawk router issues

Just got a nighthawk r7000 ac1700 router.

Unfortunately i seem to be getting some crazy ass lag spikes that make it pretty tough to game. A lot of the time the ping is stable (i always ping to google and watch my connection there) and at a constant 10-15ms. Sometimes i get random spikes in between those that go up to 120-200.

But the real killer are the spikes that hit like 1500-2000+ ms. Or other times the ping will timeout completely before returning back to 10-15. As far as i can tell these super spikes are happening when nobody is downloading anything at home.

These super spikes didn't really happen before the new install. FWIW i did try my connection straight to the modem (which is brand new as well) and i had no issues for the day i was on modem only.

Anything i can try here? thanks

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Well it sounds like your router could use a swap. I mean if you went straight to modem and no lag spikes and there are with the router, you've already troubleshot it.

Did you customize the settings at all? You could do a factory reset and run with it vanilla and see if it still gives you problems. If it's new you should have the receipt and can just swap it though.

Are those lag spikes only happening on wifi? Agree with Buffy, factory reset run it with vanilla, if its still happening do an exchange. I never really had issues with netgear routers, I always upgrade with them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

ok thanks. might try that. i don't think any settings have been changed just yet.

fwiw i am using a powerline kit not wifi. but again these issues didn't pop up until i went through router anyway.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

sooo somehow it got worse. it went from the super spikes to persistent 700-1000+ ms.

did the reset and everything was good for all about half of an hour and now it's back again, this time hitting highs of 1600.

might just replace it but really, ugh wtf. any other ideas?

also want to add i get occasional stretches of everything being normal. but mostly it's been 1000+ ping.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I've got the same router, that I'm also forced to use a powerline adapter with (god they suck, but better than wifi through 4 walls), but I haven't had any ping issues like you're talking about. I also run shibby tomato firmware on mine though, could be something to try if you're somewhat tech savvy. DD-WRT is supposed to work on it as well.

Sorry for the derail, but how well does shibby tomato work on it? The last time I checked (was a while back) support for the ARM based routers aren't working that well yet.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Works fine, it's been supported since 117, and I think it's on 122 now. I didn't see how to setup 802.11AC, but I haven't really looked for it either. Install is a little specific, there is an "initial" image to flash with first before you go straight to 122.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Got an update:

Problems started coming back hard. Ended up getting a new router but same one.

Loaded up an old config file and had it running for all of 1 minute before the lag started hitting again. Yikes.

Asked the person who set up the config file what he originally did, he said:

wifi info, enabled guest wifi
    enabled 5ghz wifi network
    port forwarding, ports 8080,8081,8082
    and static ip on three mac addresses

Gonna try setting router to completely stock without config file for the moment, but as far as i remember this happened before loading up any custom config files. There's definitely no downloading going on that's causing all of this. Any thoughts? Thanks

edit: scrolled through logs and found this "[DoS attack: ACK Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [64.12.104.118], Thursday, Oct 02,2014 12:59:57"

could that be the culprit?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Can you try something plugged into it directly for a while, instead of over the power line converter. I find it likely it isn't the router. Wouldn't hurt to reset it to the factory config, they aren't hard to setup yourself if you want to change things.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The short answer is yes, it could be the culprit. DoS stands for Denial of Service. It's a type of a attack where someone attempts to overwhelm the connections that a person/place has available to them.

HOWEVER, one of your troubleshooting steps included bypassing the router and your connection was fine - which would not be consistent with a DoS attack. Furthermore, outside of random bad luck, the odds of a single person being under a DoS attack is....very low. It would be unusual at best.

Why are those particular ports being forwarded, and why are those three MAC addresses set to static? Those are both unusual (although not unheard of) configurations for home setups.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by chiyio View Post
    Can you try something plugged into it directly for a while, instead of over the power line converter. I find it likely it isn't the router. Wouldn't hurt to reset it to the factory config, they aren't hard to setup yourself if you want to change things.
    Yeah, i ran a couple direct connections not involving the PLK: it went modem > router > pc (tried both desktop and straight to my laptop).

No wireless involved at all. probably gonna reset to config again and maybe try things one by one.

Fwiw, i did update the firmware and the issues are still ongoing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    The short answer is yes, it could be the culprit. DoS stands for Denial of Service. It's a type of a attack where someone attempts to overwhelm the connections that a person/place has available to them.

HOWEVER, one of your troubleshooting steps included bypassing the router and your connection was fine - which would not be consistent with a DoS attack. Furthermore, outside of random bad luck, the odds of a single person being under a DoS attack is....very low. It would be unusual at best.

Why are those particular ports being forwarded, and why are those three MAC addresses set to static? Those are both unusual (although not unheard of) configurations for home setups.
    Good point about ddos.

I didn't originally set up the router but i will try to get an answer from the person who did.

Thanks, btw, guys!