Thread: Budget PC for FFXI     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Budget PC for FFXI

this PC

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...692&CatId=2628

and secondly, it will need a video card, which ones will work with this chipset.

Thanks!!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Looks like any low profile vid card. Has 2 low profile slots, 1 pci-express x16 and 1 pci. Obviously, look for a pci-express low profile card. Even if it doesn't have the correct bracket (these can be replaced), a short-looking card should fit.

add: like maybe this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500342 it's actually pretty modern and very low power.

add2: second thought, it's like half the cost of what you just got lol, probably look for something cheaper.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cem Bob
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

FFXI should run on just about anything remotely modern. I picked up a g1610 celeron PC last year really cheap and it runs FFXI at 1080p pretty smoothly using just integrated Intel HD graphics, so you may be able to trim the budget a little by going down that route and skipping the video card altogether.

What KCem said, you don't need a GPU anymore for FFXI with integrated gpu intel CPU's. Hell, I'm sure even the cheapest of the cheapest of those CPU's will run it at max. You could also probably skimp out on RAM and just go for a 4gb setup. Probably won't need to make use of an SSD so a regular HDD will do just as well. The rest is up to you.

That Dual-Core lenovo will need a graphics card, but anythinglike what Orinthia suggested will do fine. Hell I think that Zotac one might even be too much. I would upgrade the RAM to 4GB though, will be great for multitasking browsers and what not. I think I used a Dual-Core 3.2 for the majority of my FFXI years, although 2.6 should be more than enough for a single-core centrist game.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

About the only thing to keep in mind are the power constraints on those machines. The thing I linked is actually really low wattage, something that's not always the case for low-profile cards. Just its price when compared to that machine lol... Any ati 5450+ or nvidia 210+ will play this game fine (seems to be common among newegg's low profile cards; look elsewhere).

But as the others have said, try it on the integrated first before buying a card. You can probably skip the card altogether, but you may end up wanting to use the comp for something else later. It's pretty tiny so it could fit nearly anywhere, and getting an hdmi port on it can open up some options.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I ran XI on an 800mhz cpu and a Radeon 9700 pro in 2002. Pretty much ANYTHING will run XI fine.

You're going to get diminishing returns with anything made after 2005 too. The problems with XI are the way it's coded. It literally CAN NOT take advantage of higher spec hardware. Also it's primarily CPU dependent. Throwing GPU at it is a waste of time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

an iphone is powerful enough to run XI lol. Anything you build can probably handle it so long as its made in the last 7+ years

I think that PC you listed will run it as is.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

thanks for the help!