FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    I would assume it's the same story as when they jumped to 7 from Vista. Vista was perfectly fine (as is 8.1) after the first service pack, but initial launch got a bad rap so they want to move past it asap.
    April Fool's joke coming true.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/261...indows-10.html

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

ughhh the 7 8 9 jokes are already happening

happy about the news though, wanted a change from 7 but 8 wasn't it for me

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    I would assume it's the same story as when they jumped to 7 from Vista. Vista was perfectly fine (as is 8.1) after the first service pack, but initial launch got a bad rap so they want to move past it asap.
    Two service packs of Vista = Windows 7

People are inherently stupid however, and will follow anything that's trending in technology & electronics, be it good or bad. Windows 10 will literally be Windows 7 START menu with a Windows 8 interface. The common computer user isn't going to use all of those dev tools or even know they exist. The fact that they straight up tell consumers this as a re-branded 7 + 8.1 = 10 is amazing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Still, it's supposed to be a free upgrade to those who bought 8/8.1 and a "cheap" upgrade to those who have 7 and OEM 8/8.1. Definitely wouldn't pay the old full Windows price for this.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I can't wait personally. I love Windows 8.1, and can see nothing wrong with Windows 10. I just laugh at the fact that consumers will be purchasing it for all the wrong reasons.

I'm gonna take a long shot guess and say this version will finally be the version that gets businesses off of XP.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Turns out there's no need to upgrade afterall, https://github.com/lzybkr/PSReadLine allows for ctrl+v, and lots of other cool stuff on win7.

Still hoping it turns out to be good though, don't want to be stuck on 7 for the next 20 years...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Easy day 1 purchase.
    clink, you're welcome ctrl+v, other hotkeys, tab completion and other fancy stuff ^^

Looks promising, though since 8.1U1 I'm fine with not having a start menu. Only added tiles for programs I need, and I'm completely ignoring the app part of 8 since I think it's completely useless without touch.

I'm gonna take a long shot guess and say this version will finally be the version that gets businesses off of XP.
    Uh, and what about 7? Pretty much any company I know moved on to it shortly after release or in the last months.

Installing right now on a spare rig.

https://insider.windows.com/

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

someone test how well 4K and win10 work out gogo

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/01/w...=rss_truncated

LOL, apparently stupid coding (from 3rd parties) is to blame for the Windows 9 skipping

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    clink, you're welcome ctrl+v, other hotkeys, tab completion and other fancy stuff ^^

Looks promising, though since 8.1U1 I'm fine with not having a start menu. Only added tiles for programs I need, and I'm completely ignoring the app part of 8 since I think it's completely useless without touch.

Uh, and what about 7? Pretty much any company I know moved on to it shortly after release or in the last months.
    Nah, there are a ton of businesses in California (Call Centers, Manufacturing/Distribution Centers, Government, Industrial Sector) that still use XP in high volume (but use Server 2012/R2 for their servers). Same goes for Texas and some parts of New York. They are even willing to pay those exorbitant amounts of cash for the extended XP support. XP is much more simple and streamlined for IT professionals in those companies (because of the minimalism/simplicity without going Linux) , so I can't blame them, but it really is out of date as an OS and Windows 7 should be more common.

Most mom and pop stores and and start up companies have Win7/8/8.1 distros, which is a good look, but it's not topping the numbers of the aforementioned.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Microsoft is following the trend that Linux follows that release commercial builds in even numbers (2,4,6,8,10) and developer builds are released in odd numbers (1,3,5,7,9) Why they choose to do it now is idk.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    I think more important than ctrl+v for CMD is tab finishing. Or just do away with it and only have powershell. Either or.

Well, I mean for commands. You can tab finish directories.
    That has been around for over a decade. It was in Windows 2000, but just not enabled by default (god knows why), you could put in a registry key to map the autocomplete function. It may even predate Win2K (in Windows, obv Linux has had it since before the formation of the Soviet Union).

Didn't get the chance to mess around with W10 too much last. I have it installed on a DualCore 2.3ghz CPU with 1 GB RAM no GPU, so there are some hangups when loading apps. The whole system looks really cleaned up from the mess that W8 desktop looks like. It's still some getting used to for the Start menu, had to go through 3 different windows to get to system information.

Didn't get to mess around with anything else but the mail app. It works very similarly to how iOS/Android mail apps work in terms of setting up emails and using emails, which I thought was neat and probably already in W8 anyways. I'd like to get it running on a more powerful PC just to see how compatible it is with multi-monitor setups and running different apps at the same time.

Giving it.. 3 Ragns' out of 5, until I can mess around with it more. But its looking like I will definitely upgrade from W7 x64 next year.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Does it include any new abstract wallpaper?_?

lol IT DOES! I didn't bother changing it or checking what others ones it had.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Does it include any new abstract wallpaper?_?
    Support for motion picture images or movies as a desktop would be really nice too.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    It's still some getting used to for the Start menu, had to go through 3 different windows to get to system information.
    Right click the Start button/icon->System? Same as 8.1 had, if that's what you mean.

(also, that wallpaper isn't new, it's in 8.1)

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Keyboard Shortcuts

• Snapping window: WIN + LEFT or RIGHT (can be used with UP or DOWN to get into quadrants)
    • Switch to recent window: ALT + TAB (unchanged) – Hold shows new Task view window view, let go and switches to app.
    • Task view: WIN + TAB – New Task view opens up and stays open.
    • Create new virtual desktop: WIN + CTRL + D
    • Close current virtual desktop: WIN + CTRL + F4
    • Switch virtual desktop: WIN + CTRL + LEFT or RIGHT

For command prompt

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Window...OfHotkeys.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Right click the Start button/icon->System? Same as 8.1 had, if that's what you mean.

(also, that wallpaper isn't new, it's in 8.1)
    Never used W8 for more than 5 min at a time.