The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

AD/Group Policies and UAC

Hi!

I'm having a rough time, we just got a bunch of Tablets, and somewhere in our server config, there seems to be a policy that turns user account control on the clinents off, so the apps don't work (we want the e-mail + calendar app accessible), but I'm entirely uncertain of which/where policy this is, I "Inherited" this system, so I'm not sure what the previous adm. did and I have very impatient users, and haven't had the chance to to the necessary research due to time constraints, so I was hoping someone here had a silly simple answer, can you force the apps to run without uac, or do you know precisely what policy/where I can flip this around on the server side?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

The points are probably not 100% called that way, I only have german windows systems available to look it up, so live with my crappy translation
    UAC settings are under
    computer settings -> policies -> windows settings -> security settings -> local policy/security options -> user account control.

But I kind of wonder why you think the apps don't work because of UAC... I mean, UAC are just the "are you sure?" dialogs and I've seen programs not working with it turned on, but so far I've never heard of programs/apps requiring it to be turned on oO

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    The points are probably not 100% called that way, I only have german windows systems available to look it up, so live with my crappy translation
    UAC settings are under
    computer settings -> policies -> windows settings -> security settings -> local policy/security options -> user account control.

But I kind of wonder why you think the apps don't work because of UAC... I mean, UAC are just the "are you sure?" dialogs and I've seen programs not working with it turned on, but so far I've never heard of programs/apps requiring it to be turned on oO
    The reason is believe that UAC is to blame is that the error message we get states that the apps don't work because UAC is disabled (and when we flip UAC back on and reboot, they'll work for a while, until UAC is disabled again by some mechanism, I will try what you suggested, thanks). I'll try to remember to take a screenshot the next time I get the error message (if this doesn't fix it) (but it'll be in Norwegian).

You might have to create a new OU just for tablets and block inheritance from higher level GPOs. And then apply whatever is needed specifically to that "Tablets OU".

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I second Dantrag's thought. Can't you simply put the tablets in their own group with their own specific rules? That might let you run them until you can track down the way group policy was configured before you and figure it out.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

That.. I should've thought of that... brilliantly simple. Thank you!