+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Those who were in boy scouts.

I think that BG may be the best place to get feedback on this.

Did you have to do a lot of religious stuff? Was it hard to find a secular group? If you have or if you end up having a boy would you want them to be in the boy scouts? Why or why not?

This is an issue that was brought up on the mommy boards that I never really thought about.

When I was in GS there was like, nothing religious about it. Yeah the pledge had "God" in it, but that was the extent of it. There were atheist kids in it, and it was no big deal.

I never really thought about how the BS was vastly different than the GS. I always figured that any girls I had would do GS and any boys I had would do BS. I thought it was important to do like group stuff in nature.

Now I am not so sure. It seems like the BS are still not all up n' up about gays in the group, and I guess are still severely religious? I don't know if that is sort of the "official" stance that most troops ignore or not.

Apparently most moms are open to their girls being in GS, but won't let their boys be in BS. So that is making me second guess myself. I had a great experience in GS, but for obvious reasons, know very little about how the BS differ. I would hate to let my daughter have the GS opportunity while denying my son a similar opportunity.

Considering BG is mostly atheists and guys, I figured I'd get better feedback here than there.

Side note: it may seem weird that I care about the religious part since I am religious, but idk too often religious activities can feed upon themselves negatively, and I'd rather keep the religious learning to places that are teaching the specifics of a religion ie. church, synagogue, world religion class, etc.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Only thing Religious thing I ever had to do was go to a church service on Sunday while at our yearly giant camp outing. I tend to think back to those days and wonder what would of happened if I told my scout masters I don't go church.

Probably depends on your locale. In the bible belt I'm sure there's a lot of focus on god. In California it's probably pretty secular.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

What little I did wasn't or I don't remember it being religious. Be aware of if your child doesn't like doing whatever activities you put them in, nothing worse than a kid doing activities just because their parent forced them to. Let them decide just a little, giving them an option of some group activities will make them buy-in a bit more. I hated scouts, preferred little league sports.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout for many years in northern Virginia. Never remember any religious stuff except for one or two things in the pledges. Mostly I remember the huge food drive we did in the fall, a week-long camping trip over the summer, and a bunch of shorter camping trips. Also the weekly meetings we had at the elementary school nearby were for doing crafts and presenting awards and stuff. The scoutmasters were all really nice (my dad was one) and didn't push any religious crap on the kids. I ended up quitting because most of my friends did, and the boys that were left were dicks who just complained about being forced to go camping which makes no sense.

If I have a son and he wanted to be in Scouts, I'd definitely encourage him. But then again if I ended up moving somewhere the troop was way more Christian-focused I'd have second thoughts about it. I guess some troops are hosted by churches and that must attract a more reverent crowd.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    What little I did wasn't or I don't remember it being religious. Be aware of if your child doesn't like doing whatever activities you put them in, nothing worse than a kid doing activities just because their parent forced them to. Let them decide just a little, giving them an option of some group activities will make them buy-in a bit more. I hated scouts, preferred little league sports.
    Oh don't get me wrong, this is all contingent on whether they actually like it. But ya, it would royally suck if my daughter was in GS and my son sees all the shit she's getting to do, and not have an option for him. I can see why people wouldn't want to on principle because of the gay discrimination BS has, though.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Probably depends on your locale. In the bible belt I'm sure there's a lot of focus on god. In California it's probably pretty secular.
    yeah it's probably just a reflection of the demographic. I was in it for a little while and don't remember any religious aspects, this being in a big city in the south

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    I hated scouts, preferred little league sports.
    same. prob worth a try to see if your kid enjoys it but not missing out if he doesn't

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, this is all contingent on whether they actually like it. But ya, it would royally suck if my daughter was in GS and my son sees all the shit she's getting to do, and not have an option for him. I can see why people wouldn't want to on principle because of the gay discrimination BS has, though.
    Yeah the discrimination part of it is unappealing to me, but honestly the kids hardly ever think about that stuff. Unless your son has a friend who is specifically denied membership, it probably won't come up.

I mean, I eat at Chick-Fil-A all the time. I don't need to agree with an organization's board of directors to appreciate a product or service they offer.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    Yeah the discrimination part of it is unappealing to me, but honestly the kids hardly ever think about that stuff. Unless your son has a friend who is specifically denied membership, it probably won't come up.

I mean, I eat at Chick-Fil-A all the time. I don't need to agree with an organization's board of directors to appreciate a product or service they offer.
    Yeah I get that. But Chick-Fil-A doesn't flat out ban gays people from eating there (I am sure they would if they could, but you get what I mean.)

I think I would feel a little guilty. But idk, maybe I can balance my guilt by writing letters to the headquarters about changing their policy or something.

I think I'd also talk to the troop leader and see what they say they would do if someone who was gay tried to join the group.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah I get that. But Chick-Fil-A doesn't flat out ban gays people from eating there (I am sure they would if they could, but you get what I mean.)

I think I would feel a little guilty. But idk, maybe I can balance my guilt by writing letters to the headquarters about changing their policy or something.

I think I'd also talk to the troop leader and see what they say they would do if someone who was gay tried to join the group.
    I think you have the right mindset, talking to the troop's scoutmasters will probably give you the best indication of what to expect. Also there might be multiple troops within a few miles so if you don't like one you can shop around.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I never did anything religious for Boy Scouts, other then meeting at a church but we just used their big "rec room" in the back. Yea, in some places there is still discrimination against gays and even some stupid parents who worry about Scoutmasters abusing their kids but for the most part, that is just stupid parents.

I personally went all the way to completing my Eagle Scout and if I somehow do have a kid, it would be up to them. I enjoyed some of it but the ridicule I got when other kids found out I was a boy scout was pretty annoying and tainted some of it, especially as I got older and into High School. If I could have gotten out 2 years sooner, instead of having adults(mostly my mom) hold me back, thinking I was too young to be an Eagle Scout, it would have been better and I wouldn't have felt so weird about it in High School(I finished everything for Eagle Scout crazy quick, like 3yrs faster then anyone else in our troop ever, lol).

It's definitely a good learning experience though and there is plenty of stuff I know how to do, that I would have never learned in school and am shocked other people are so clueless about sometimes. I have some good memories from it but it's definitely one of those things people who never did it, seem to laugh about, thinking you were some lame ass kid doing Scouting, even though I was camping, starting fires, hunting, shooting guns, etctetcetc that they all love as adults when I was like 12.

I'll say this, our Troop had zero issues about gays when we were there, because I know for a fact we had a Gay father who did a bunch of stuff with us while his kid was a scout though after I left some of the parents got stupid and didn't like it. Definitely talk to different groups and see where they stand on stuff.

I think that BG may be the best place to get feedback on this.

Did you have to do a lot of religious stuff? Was it hard to find a secular group? If you have or if you end up having a boy would you want them to be in the boy scouts? Why or why not?
    Not a ton of religious stuff. There was always a prayer type thing after the meetings where we would stand in a circle and cross our arms while holding hands. I honestly can't actually remember if it was actually a prayer that was said, but I'm about 80% certain it was, but that is mostly because I really can't remember what were were doing with our arms crossed and holding hands if it wasn't some kind of prayer. Jesus was never mentioned, as far as I remember, but I do remember being the only Jew in the group, though I never felt I was treated differently because of it.

I was in North Carolina for this, but the area I was in has been blue for a very long time.

MOST RAD.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pupuru Puru
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Most of the troops were attached to churches/religious groups for gatherings although no praying or anything religious at said gatherings. This is in Texas, but when my family lived in California the troop I was in was also meeting a church. The church would basically be the base of operations. Every year we'd offer volunteers from the troop to keep night watch for the catholic church annual fair our troop was attached to. At the time I was into church so it wasn't a big deal but we did attend mass. Obviously you can just keep you son from going to functions such as that.

Every camp out (we went camping one weekend every month) we held at least one church service or prayer circle on the last day (Sundays) with most of the time it being short and quick cause we wanted to go home by then. For the more formal camp settings with like a chapel there might be an actual service everyone went to.

That's about all I can think of religious-wise for Boy Scouts. You'll want to get to know the parents who volunteer to lead the kids though because they all bring their own views into it (TV, music, video games, card games, fun, etc... are the devil) and may work in those ideologies when with your kid.

I might consider having my son in Boy Scouts as long as they weren't too pushy with the religious stuff as well.

When I was a cub scout, I went through two different leaders. The first guy was a cool dude, and I really enjoyed the activities we did with him. The second leader(s) were a husband and wife - the wife was a super religious bitch, and the guy was a former military "if you don't like America you can GIIIIIT OUT" kind of guy. Needless to say, they were the reason I quit going. It all depends on who the leaders are for whether it'll be enjoyable, but personally, I still say the scouts can go fuck themselves for discriminating against atheists.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Ok ty guys. You are making me feel a lot better about it. It sounds very similar to what I experienced in GS.

I think there is a feeling of difference based on the rules the organizations set forth. Even GS has a clause about accepting mtf transgenders, and note that members can omit the word "God" in their pledge. Whereas the BS organization seems to still wanna say flat out "no gays no atheists" on their site. So I wanted to make sure that wasn't a reflection of troops.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

The official position of the BS is gay scouts are ok, gay adults are not. There is an unofficial focus on religion, because many (most?) troops are sponsored by a local church. If you can find a troop that's not sponsored by a church, they'll probably be much more open minded and inclusive. As already noted, talk to the local scoutmaster. You'll get a much better feel for the local troop.

I personally liked scouting a lot, but by the time I hit middle school the only boys left totally killed the enjoyment. From what I can recall, it doesn't take overly much effort to be a troop leader if you/the hubby are interested in that either.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I don't remember much religious stuff, just the usual "under god" type stuff. i was in a small community with several churches, too. i remember some sponsoring involved, but they were pretty good about not being pushy. mostly just meant we occasionally met in church basements, that kind of thing. but as has been mentioned, that'll depend on the community.

and if you can't find a decent community you might look into Boys and Girls Club. I understand that's kinda a similar group.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

As a kid in MI I don't recall any religious stuff coming up. It probably depends partly on who runs the meetings etc. For me though it wasn't a thing. I hated it as a kid and I loathe religion so whatever there's some data points for you.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Seems my experience was similar to many here. Met at a church & a freemason lodge for big events, but at people's homes (usually troop leader) for smaller stuff. My troop was also sponsored by said church/freemasons. Absolutely no religious overtones outside of a circle gathering where we'd sing or chant. This was in Georgia, in the outskirts of Atlanta. However, my troop leader was amazing and a gigantic hippy, right down to his house smelling of marajuana -- how he got away with it, was anyone's guess lol.

I do remember of seeing more religious-centric cub scouts and boy scouts troops at larger events (fishing, pinewood derby car races, meet-up camping outings), so I'd definitely like to think it's based on your troop leader(s). If I had a son and he wanted to join, I'd definitely encourage him 100%, because you learn a couple of lifelong values and practical uses in the real world from scouting. You also learn how not to be a socially awkward child. Even so, I'd say shop around and talk to the troop leaders and families who lead the troops, as they are the people who will be directly instilling values into your child.

This is the Cub Scout motto:

I Sho (your kid's name here), promise to do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country,
    To help other people, and
    To obey the Law of the Pack.

You take from that what you will. Some people take it seriously, most other just gloss over it similar to saying the national anthem at school.

It's my one regret that I didn't complete my Eagle Scout, as the BSA would go far out of their way to make sure you got scholarships and grant money for school if you achieved that rank.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    pinewood derby car races
    Hell yeah man that was the best part of Cub Scouts. Won the local thing a few years in a row and went to districts, got waxed by all the future aerospace engineers there, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast