+ Reply to Thread
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Wifi Range Extender issues

I recently bought a wifi range extender, Netgear EX2700, to get my wifi range to be able to cover my entire house. I got it set up, and the entire house now has full signal. However, the DL speed is horrible. I have ~100mbps DL over a wired connection, and ~45-50 DL / ~12mbps upload over wifi straight from the router. However when I connect to the range extender, I am dropping to <0.2 Mbps DL / 9mbps upload. anyone have a similar situation or know how I can solve it?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Hm, weird. It's normal for repeaters to roughly half the top speed of the wifi connection, but such huge drops in dl speed can't be normal. Do the speeds change when you move closer to the repeater? Are there other wifi networks from neighbours around that overlap with the channels? If you don't know, install InSSIDer on a laptop or smartphone and wander around your house a bit to see if other WLANs are interfering. On the 2.4GHz band you'd want to avoid any overcrowded channel, the most commonly used channels used to avoid interference are 1, 5/6 and 11/13. (AFAIK channel 12 and 13 aren't available worldwide, that's why the double numbers)

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

That looks to be the same one I helped set up at my father's house with no problems... did you do the automatic set-up where it tries to use the same settings as the wifi base or did you do it manually?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    That looks to be the same one I helped set up at my father's house with no problems... did you do the automatic set-up where it tries to use the same settings as the wifi base or did you do it manually?
    Automatic. It is on Channel 6, and I have tried changing the security setting, but that didn't help. It isn't giving me the option to try a different channel. The drop box showing the channel is grayed out and can't be changed.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I set up an extender for my father at Christmas and though it's a different brand, I know it also had no channel select option until it turned off the autoscan option. Not sure if that will help, but it should let you select a channel manually.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Sorry to jack this thread but I also have some problem with a WIFI extender

First I used a Dlink DIR-835 as my main router (Only have the 2.4GHZ antenna active for now)
    and the WIFI extender I bought is TP-Link TL-WR700N Wireless N150

So I plugged the TP link and configured it as a WIFI extender (entered the SSID + Password)

All was fine, the TPlink got an Ip from my subnet and I was able to access it. But like 5minutes after it was plugged in all my network went down (Wired PC WIFI Laptops and gaming devices) All i could do was unplug the TP link and everything came back as normal

I then went to check for the Basic stuff. The DHCP server on the TPlink was off and the TP link default gateway was on my Dlink router.

So atm I have the Tplink as a bridge (different SSID but same network) and all goes well but I would love to have it on the same SSID (since it's an extender after all)

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

It's been suggested to me (not my area of expertise) that using a different SSID is the better solution, and I gather that it's common for the SSID to be something like YOURNETWORK_EXT and then pick (or let the device pick) which is the more appropriate connection.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Yeah but if you take a different SSID it's not an 'extender' by itself

I want my WIFI laptops and all to be able to automaticly switch router depending which one is closer