Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Installing FFXI on a new machine.

I thought there used to be a Sticky thread for this but oh well.

I'm going to install FFXI on a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit. I remember a long time ago people had problems installing with 7 so I wanted to know what I need to do. I have the Ultimate Collection on disk and own a digital copy of Seekers. I know about how you can copy over certain files to a new hard drive but I don't want to go through all that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Just make sure you install the vista/7 version of PoL first and you should have no issues. Follow this link in case you don't already have the install for it. http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/dow...l?pageID=media

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Your ultimate collection is fine. The issue is on much older install discs.

add: did they remove the full installation downloads? They used to host the entire game installation (SoA-ultimate or something), which made installing it pretty easy. Still a big download and still a few hours updating, but was painless to install.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

When I got my new pc, I of course installed FFXI on it..Same operating system you have. I used the old disks + that install, was pretty smooth tho it was a long and nasty update.

Just if you are using disks, get the Vista/7 version of POL and you should be good to go. Install's pretty painless. It's the update that'll kill you.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

You can download most of the updates here.

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Haborym View Post

This so much. I just reinstalled FFXI on a new computer last week myself. After doing the initial installs of the Vista/7 POL and digital copies from Amazon, I copied over the entirety of Krizz's bulk patch, as well as the individual patches from the last several months that are posted in the first post of an update thread. Not every thread has a link to the patch however, but doing the few I found (3 I think? only went back one page) plus Krizz's files made the update only take about 90 minutes, instead of the 8+ hours that I've read of some people having to spend.

The way I have always done new machine installs is to install the correct POL version from the official FFXI website and then just copy/paste over the "Final Fantasy XI" folder from an existing machine (or from a backup I made before wiping the old machine) into the correct folder (PlayOnline/SquareEnix/). Never had to install updates this way as all it had to do was run a file check. Obviouslly if you don't have FFXI installed on a PC already then you would haveto go the route of getting the files/patches from the link above, but if you do I have never had issues with this method.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I would do that but the hard drive the game is currently on is really old so I don't even know if it would work. I've just been playing on the old computer for now.

Anywho, I had another question for peoples.. Do you have to buy Abyssea over again?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You have the ultimate edition and seekers, that's enough for the full game. Just run through the installs.

Abyssea and the mini-xpaks are downloaded through the client when updating.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Unfortunately, the downloads needed to be removed for reasons beyond our control. If I can someday provide them again, I will.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Anyone happened to have latest patches uploaded anywhere?
    Got everything from tehkrizz but still looking at 4-5 hours updating ~~

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

/wave

I'm coming back to the game on a new PC and I was looking for the thread I used to use to download/install the game with the most relevant patch data on BG. I think it was this one (NOTE: I can't post full links yet since this is a new account so please use full BG url):

bluegartr.com/threads/99953-All-Final-Fantasy-XI-PC-Updates-amp-PS2-Disc-Backups

HOWEVER... when I went to try and check out the thread it said I had to register, and here I am, but now when I look at the link it says this:

Nicknick, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

What's going on?? Was the thread deleted or something? And is there another up-to-date similar thread that I can use to install the game in a timely fashion, without downloading through PoL?

Thanks!
    Nick

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Nicknick View Post
    And is there another up-to-date similar thread that I can use to install the game in a timely fashion, without downloading through PoL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haborym View Post

Contrary to popular belief, reading the thread you're thinking of bumping can answer the question you're about to pose.

In all fairness, there will be some downloading from POL as those updates only go to August of '14. But it'll considerably reduce your download time. There's not a repository with more than tehkrizz as far as I'm aware.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, reading the thread you're thinking of bumping can answer the question you're about to pose.
    As much fun as it is to bust the new guy's chops, I already knew about tehkrizz.net. But...

In all fairness, there will be some downloading from POL as those updates only go to August of '14. But it'll considerably reduce your download time. There's not a repository with more than tehkrizz as far as I'm aware.
    ^ This. I was hoping to find out if there was anything more up to date than tehkrizz like the old BG thread I mentioned, and if not then I'll just download the rest from PoL which isn't that big of a deal.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

just did a fresh install today on a new laptop. base was ultimate seekers edition and then i just patched my way up. didn't take me 2hrs

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    Your ultimate collection is fine. The issue is on much older install discs.

add: did they remove the full installation downloads? They used to host the entire game installation (SoA-ultimate or something), which made installing it pretty easy. Still a big download and still a few hours updating, but was painless to install.
    Not sure if you were referring to official downloads, but I was wondering about the same thing and it seems the downloads are still available here (NA), here (EU) and here (JP) (no idea if there's a difference between them that might cause problems). Was surprised to find them for direct download from the official site, seeing how I bought the Ultimate Collection pre-SoA and thought I'd be out of luck since I technically bought a different product from the Download-Store SE linked to back at the time.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They put up the full free download about a week before the free week for inactive players. They took it down after the first event, but put it back up again for the recent one and must have forgotten to remove it. I've seen people seeding a copy of those files too, just in case they go offline again.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefan View Post
    They put up the full free download about a week before the free week for inactive players. They took it down after the first event, but put it back up again for the recent one and must have forgotten to remove it. I've seen people seeding a copy of those files too, just in case they go offline again.
    Free week? Damn, I missed that one. Well, let's see if they'll last this time, but I'll definitely store those files somewhere.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I just did a fresh install from the download. It pretty easy and clean only thing to look out for is the POL-1156 after updating. Something about pol and antivirus don't mesh

Old Merits
    BG Level

Out of curiosity, is the POL-version included the one that is compatible with Windows Vista/7/8?