+ Reply to Thread
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Switching SATA ports with devices

I bought a new HDD and wanted to know if I could switch SATA3 ports with one of my other devices without any trouble. When I built the computer I put the cd-rom drive on SATA0 and my SSD on SATA1. (I don't know why I wasn't even thinking ^^; ) Can you change them around or are they locked to those ports now? There are just two SATA3 ports but several SATA2 ones. I would like to have the two drives in 0 and 1 and just put the cd-rom on 2.

I know this sounds like a noob question but this is my first higher end system and they are so many features I'm kinda lost.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Should be able to move the cdrom off and put the drive where it was without any problems. If you move the SSD drive you may have to change the boot device order in the bios.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

You will def need to change the boot order in bios. I was setting up a new computer and gutted a few HDs from older systems. 1 of them had a boot record of winxp on it and my friend and I were bewildered for a while why windows 7 wasn't starting setup.