+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: GamerGate thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    is resident evil 5 racist?

should that influence (how much? how little?) a reviewers opinion of the game?
    I don't think it was, and I don't feel it should influence a reviewers opinion of the game, but since a review is an opinion piece, it's to be expected that reviews will often say things I disagree with and judge games based on things i think are irrelevant. However, it seems some people in GG feel that this is reason enough to mount a boycott. Something I find incredibly unhinged and hard to justify.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    I think TB is right a lot of the time.
    I think he was way wrong when his answer to women in the media getting death threats was to ignore it and not talk about it.
    I don't think TB or anybody deserves to get spammed with harassment or death threats.
    Lol

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    so about the mailing list thing. I had read a LONG time ago that it was just a list of people on the mailing list that was exposed. Was content of communication between them also exposed that really laid out their plan for the "gamers are over attack"?
    Some of the content was exposed. Though I accidentally lumped two thoughts together in my post there. The mailing list involved messages between them on how to report on situations. In most cases it was about how to report on certain games, when to report on them and what to include, and so on. I think a lot of it felt, from an outside perspective, as if they were trying to manipulate the markets and quality of reviews. This could be interpreted in a way that they're just trying not to step on eachothers shoes, or they're trying to make sure only certain games get coverage.

But the "death of gamers" thing was a second thought, i don't believe the leaked mailing list and some of its contents was about the strike on Gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    Again, At one time, it was about that, but more about exposing some of the shady deals that go on behind the scenes. To your smarter person who knows most if not all journalism is a fraud, its not much a surprise and won't impact your day to day. But the helm has been taken over by your average bigot trying to find a new place to spew his hatred and even though they don't speak for all of us, they're the only ones media gives attention too. The people making death threats, the people making sexist or racist comments... its all people want to read about. GamerGate is just as much vulnerable to the "Good things ruined by morons" acts as anything else, unfortunately.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

It was, months ago.
    It still gets parroted because ethics are more important than being accurate about anything, ever. Ethics.
    No it wasnt
    Therefor

Hahahaha

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

It was, months ago.
    It still gets parroted because ethics are more important than being accurate about anything, ever. Ethics.
    He didn't write a review, he wrote an article plugging it on RockPaperShotgun. Semantics win. Good win. Still unethical.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    He didn't write a review, he wrote an article plugging it on RockPaperShotgun. Semantics win. Good win. Still unethical.
    but according to that date it was before he smashed. or is that incorrect?

Banned.

BG Level

but according to that date it was before he smashed. or is that incorrect?
    Yes. They had a relationship before that, though. Grayson is given a Personal Thanks in the credits (dating his involvement with the game to at least early 2013), which Quinn said was because he beta tested the game and Grayson gave no explanation other than that Zoe is mistaken about who beta tested her own game and that what got him a personal thanks was definitely nothing unethical.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i get my electricity before i pay for it

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    i get my electricity before i pay for it
    Right? That's what I always think when people bring up that argument.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    Yes. They had a relationship before that, though. Grayson is given a Personal Thanks in the credits (dating his involvement with the game to at least early 2013), which Quinn said was because he beta tested the game and Grayson gave no explanation other than that Zoe is mistaken about who beta tested her own game and that what got him a personal thanks was definitely nothing unethical.
    ehhhhh i guess that's shady but the shadows of mordor thing comes across far worse. Tho paying youtubers to do shit is more on the dev than on journalism.

she prob would have fucked him sooner if it was a reward for the plug too, wasnt there like a 3 month gap there?

Banned.

BG Level

ehhhhh i guess that's shady but the shadows of mordor thing comes across far worse. Tho paying youtubers to do shit is more on the dev than on journalism.
    The whole Mordor thing was exposed by Totalbiscuit, who is pro-GG.

she prob would have fucked him sooner if it was a reward for the plug too
    I'm not familiar with the standard timeline for sex favor bribes. The sex could be honestly unrelated, for all I know or care. Nathan Grayson shouldn't be turning articles into an advertisement for a game with which he's involved in the development and a close personal friend of the developer.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Or at the very least, he should have disclosed any kind of relationship he was having with the dev of the game, even if there was no sex involved, and even if there was no review involved.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Or at the very least, he should have disclosed any kind of relationship he was having with the dev of the game, even if there was no sex involved, and even if there was no review involved.
    Question being what would such a disclosure look like? "Hey, readers just so you know I played one of these 50 games, yeah that one, the free to play browser game that raises money for charity, as a beta tester and I traveled 3 months into the future and I'm totally hitting that so Future Me? Remember to come back and edit this article after the fact so that this is all on the level."

Spoiler: show

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Or you know
    You could not get involved in something thats not a conflict of interest?

The Anti Miz

BG Level

hold up it was a free game?

that raised money for charity?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Is it a conflict of interest to beta test a game before posting a screenshot of it and listing in among 49 other games that made it to Steam Greenlight?

hold up it was a free game?

that raised money for charity?
    http://www.depressionquest.com/dqfinal.html

It's also free on Steam. The home page has a donation link.

Since the goal is to spread awareness, there is no minumum amount you need to pay to play the game. However, if you do choose to pay the developers for their efforts, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to National Suicide Prevention Hotline.

Banned.

BG Level

Question being what would such a disclosure look like? "Hey, readers just so you know I played one of these 50 games, yeah that one, the free to play browser game that raises money for charity, as a beta tester and I traveled 3 months into the future and I'm totally hitting that so Future Me? Remember to come back and edit this article after the fact so that this is all on the level."
    I like how Grayson can grasp the concept of being unethical well enough to be in denydenydeny mode but you're so stuck up your own ass presupposing that everything GG has to say is disagreeable that the idea of acting ethically is basically a punchline to you.

Real talk have you ever held a job where you had to deal with an ethics board? Because professional ethics are a form of social contract not based on personal feelings and they don't evaporate as soon as you decide you're acting benevolently.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Nathan Grayson is a blogger, not a transplant surgeon.
    Even Quinn's ex doesn't believe anything was going on between him and Quinn before March.
    So where you're getting your stories about how anything nefarious was going on in January is a bit of a mystery. Maybe it's not that big of a mystery why you bought it.

Banned.

BG Level

Nathan Grayson is a blogger, not a transplant surgeon.
    Gaming journalists' job titles seem to fluctuate a lot based on what's convenient. I'm sure he'd call himself a transplant surgeon if it helped his SEO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast