+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by myreality View Post
    Are you guys seriously attempting a pissing contest on who had the shittier generation? If so, make another thread and continue there for fucks sake.
    uh no...I am saying that these kids aren't lashing out because they don't lose enough. No where did I say we had it worse, pretty sure I am saying we had it the same.

The kid was a sports player ffs, of course he's had to deal with disappointment prior to this.

Yeah, I'm doubting coddling is the cause.

Best friend stealing your girl? While something I haven't experienced, I'd like to think I can understand the emotional double whammy. Perhaps even a triple whammy if you add the school environment on top once everyone learned of it and began what was more likely to be teasing than sympathy, especially if tweets exist in reference. I haven't read or heard where the gun(s) were picked up, either, but if it turns out the parents were pretty lax/dumb on keeping them out of his hands, well, morbid lesson learned. Possibly more to the story we don't know, especially when it comes to who was shot/killed. "We never saw it coming!" is too often the first response we get in these incidents.

And as someone part of the Columbine generation, I'm not really going to say what's better or worse. What I can personally attest to is after that I had a friend accused of making a hit list with zero evidence, arrested in the middle of class, wound up getting an article in the local paper, and basically chased out of the community because of a prank. Thick skin or not, kids can be fucking cruel when they see an opportunity.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Unless you can find that his football team always wins, I am going to guess you are wrong that he has never experienced disappointment.
    not just his football team, everything is more and more about "playing the game" and not winning or losing. Sports leagues dont keep score for that reason. You cant criticize a kids work because you dont know if they'll fly off the deep end over hearing bad news.

Thats what he means by coddling.

Turning to shooting up a school because you lost your girl to your best friend...yeah, it sucks, but thats not the appropriate response.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Not the appropriate response. I'm glad you're here to tell us these things! 'sandy! Take the professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

No problem, I gotta make sure you're aware of whats right and wrong, i'll leave the shit spewing to you though

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

And well you should. For my ally is the Poop, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Poop around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    And well you should. For my ally is the Poop, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Poop around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    not just his football team, everything is more and more about "playing the game" and not winning or losing. Sports leagues dont keep score for that reason. You cant criticize a kids work because you dont know if they'll fly off the deep end over hearing bad news.

Turning to shooting up a school because you lost your girl to your best friend...yeah, it sucks, but thats not the appropriate response.
    I already said it wasn't an appropriate response already.

However, the coddling you are taking about is few and far between. Unless you have got any proof that is what happened to this kid, I am going to assume it is the majority. Which still gets grades, and still keeps scores, and still wins and loses.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

As opposed to all those other ill-adjusted kids who only shot up their schools when it was appropriate?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It takes years, even a lifetime, to accumulate enough rage to shoot up a school. If it wasn't a break up, it would have been something else, anything else. We will never know the full story because it is too long and complex; he will unjustly go down as a bitch who shot up his school because his girl ditched him.

9 times out of 10 the people who really "caused" this have nothing to do with the target of the attack, because the point is to vent the rage, and if he could vent the rage at the people who deserved it, then it wouldn't accumulate to the point that he shoots up a school. I'm going with distant family, probably parents.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Longer periods of building don't always lead to specific outcomes as this person could have just as easily an heroed, converted to misogyny, obsessive refocusing to a different outlet like athletics, or numerous other outlets to "cope".

Alternatively this could've been a psychotic break stemming from a very abrupt and extreme deviation from his life. He could've been floating along fine with classes, athletic program, and his relationships to suddenly tanking an offer to a college, lose the playoffs, and finding his woman is a turnstill triggering a massive shock and devolving to acts of lethal violence in which the target can vary and often leads to collateral damage.

Or maybe he injected two whole marijuanas and this was what happened. Who the fuck knows?

Spoiler: show

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It's been revealed that they were more than friends, they were his own family, cousins.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/25/us/was...html?hpt=hp_t2

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

So, really late getting to this. Taken me a while-- I did some of my student-teaching at that school, and while I didn't know any of these kids, I know some of the teachers. The area up there is pretty shaken up. I'm mostly reposting stuff from media here, since I don't really want to repeat stuff told me by friends who are torn up.

So, shooter was Native American, and while he was really super popular, he still dealt with a bunch of racism. He's been suspended recently for a fight he had with a guy who was taunting him with slurs. Folks never saw *this* kind of rage from him, and it doesn't seem like he was an instigator. He was just someone with buttons that some bullies were able to push, and they pushed them hard and often. It does seem, though, like he was generally able to brush that stuff off and take it in stride.

Then the girlfriend broke up with him, and it seems she hooked up with one of his cousins. The kid who died today from that shooting was one of his cousins, and that that cousin was the new boyfriend for his girlfriend. They (the cousins), were best friends growing up. The "it breaks me... I know it seems like I'm shaking it off but I'm not" was probably in reference to that.

It's been rough. In spite the fight and the suspension, he was a really well-liked kid. He was doing okay at school. He just, in so many ways, doesn't fit the "profile".

Anyway. Thought I'd kind of put that in. Obviously a major story up here.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

maybe the fact that he didnt fit the profile is why he did it

hard to get help when people say shit like "but youre doing so well at school" and whatnot

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Really reminds me of a certain Criminal Minds episode.

So sad.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

4th shooting victim in hospital has died yesterday.

I think this is 4/5 , not sure if there was a 6th hospitalized.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I'm not surprised the people died. He supposedly walked right up to the table where they were sitting and shot them in the head. Victims rarely survive very long with gun shot wounds to the head. It is still very depressing though.