+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

High school Shooting near Seattle.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/us/was...ing/index.html

Shooter killed 2 students, 4 more in hospital. Everyone is dumbfounded as it came from football star. I say this because he was extremely popular and no one saw any indication of anger or depression.

Even though it's early and little details are known about this event, it reminded me of this new podcast series I just started on (by recommendation of Chris Hayes iirc) called Serial. The kid in this story was also very popular at high school and exhibited no warning signs or behavior that people could paint him as a killer. I thought it was worth mentioning for those who have interest in psychological studies.
    On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She'd been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnan’s friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae's body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Hae’s death. Some people believe he’s telling the truth. Many others don’t.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Twitter account of the shooter - https://twitter.com/frybergj/with_replies

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by myreality View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/us/was...ing/index.html

Shooter killed 2 students, 4 more in hospital. Everyone is dumbfounded as it came from football star. I say this because he was extremely popular and no one saw any indication of anger or depression.
    Dumbfounded...football star?

dude probably had CTE. After the depressed loner, football star is next on my list of possible shooters due to head trauma and general rage

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    Dumbfounded...football star?

dude probably had CTE. After the depressed loner, football star is next on my list of possible shooters due to head trauma and general rage
    In which the shooter exhibited no previous signs off. ( saying this with the use of current information)

Reporters were all over kids who knew him. None could even speculate on the cause Although rumor according to the reporter was there was a break up with his GF . Of course this was immediately followed by ( it's a rumor going around).

All in all to early to tell.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

In which the shooter exhibited no previous signs off. ( saying this with the use of current information)

Reporters were all over kids who knew him. None could even speculate on the cause Although rumor according to the reporter was there was a break up with his GF . Of course this was immediately followed by ( it's a rumor going around).

All in all to early to tell.
    He tweets seem to show it to be true.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    yeah, was gonna say, those tweet definitely show a depressed kid.

Not saying he couldn't have also had CTE which put him over the edge, but this was clearly no completely happy kid.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Ah, I am unable to read the tweets as my phone keeps shutting it down every time I try to open it.

So these deaths were because of a breakup?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Break up and one of his "close" friends seems to be one that took the girl.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Makes me a little angrier that the catalyst for this rampage was because of a breakup.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Makes me a little angrier that the catalyst for this rampage was because of a breakup.
    I think we can look at most mass shootings as kids who are struggling emotionally for this and that. This one happened to be a break up.

I really think we need to look at how we can help kids stop pushing themselves over the edge when shit doesn't go their way. I think they mentally aren't ready for a lot of things, and yes this can include relationships.

Or maybe kids would be a little more well-adjusted if it didn't take until 16 or 17 years old to experience their first disappointment.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Or maybe kids would be a little more well-adjusted if it didn't take until 16 or 17 years old to experience their first disappointment.
    1.not every kid shoots over girls

2. do you want to hire prostitutes to dump them or some shit? Not like you can plan those things.

3. do we even know if this is his first break up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    1.not every kid shoots over girls

2. do you want to hire prostitutes to dump them or some shit? Not like you can plan those things.

3. do we even know if this is his first break up?
    The disappointment doesn't need to be specific to relationships. I was referencing the fact that our society has become so molly-coddled that "everybody's a winner", and it's gone from being just pre-schoolers to up into middle school and high school. People need to learn coping skills for when things don't go their way, and by and large, kids aren't learning those coping skills until very late in life compared to 20-30 years ago.

But yes, I'm making an assumption. I acknowledge the fact that there's a very good chance I'm wrong, but I think it'd be a sort of funny-sad if I'm not.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I don't think it matters whether you're right or wrong. There's no way to change the problem that you're suggesting exists. You're not going to get parents out of "coddling" their kids.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    The disappointment doesn't need to be specific to relationships. I was referencing the fact that our society has become so molly-coddled that "everybody's a winner", and it's gone from being just pre-schoolers to up into middle school and high school. People need to learn coping skills for when things don't go their way, and by and large, kids aren't learning those coping skills until very late in life compared to 20-30 years ago.

But yes, I'm making an assumption. I acknowledge the fact that there's a very good chance I'm wrong, but I think it'd be a sort of funny-sad if I'm not.

Unless you can find that his football team always wins, I am going to guess you are wrong that he has never experienced disappointment.

I mean, I graduated in '98. I remember what it was like then. teen angst was very real then as it is today. I don't think we were coddled in my generation either.

My generation still did shitty things, drugs, suicide, etc. for their angst. guns have just now starting to enter the equation as a possibility to these kids. probably because it gains a lot of media attention and ultimately that's what a lot of kids want. attention. someone to help them through the angst. there is nothing wrong with that. what is wrong is them not having the capacity to understand this is not the best way to go about it.

everytime these situations occur we always find proof the kid was depressed in some way. that says to me, we need to look in how we handle teenage depression more than worrying about coddling too much.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I mean, I graduated in '98.
    Technically Columbine is our generation. We started the whole popularization of school shootings.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Technically Columbine is our generation. We started the whole popularization of school shootings.
    very true, but you get my point. columbine didn't happen because those kids never lost at anything,

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

you graduated before my shit got shitty

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Are you guys seriously attempting a pissing contest on who had the shittier generation? If so, make another thread and continue there for fucks sake.