BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My processor is 1.21 JIGGAWATTS, is yours?!

So I'm getting into overclocking and figured I'd make a post about it. I have 3 Pentium G3258s on hand right now and so far have two in builds. One I'm running on a B85 board with the stock cooler overclocked to 4.0ghz without issue. My second I have on a Z97 board with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus running at 4.5ghz but I've run across some issues.

When attempting to run Prime95 I can't get past 10 minutes without a restart. When checking BIOS cpu temp hovers around 48c. Maybe it's something in the settings in prime, but it's weird. I've ran 3d mark basic and Uningine Valley without issue though. GPU is a GTX 760 and running fraps during the opening to Witcher 2 I get constant 60fps with everything maxed 1920x1080.

The Prime thing worries me because I'll be selling this and I do not want it to screw up later. Is prime that important? Any other tests I should do instead for cpu stability?

Also, post your overclocks, setups, etc. I'll be converting my main gaming rig from a Hyper 212 Evo to a Corsair H60 and can't wait to see where my 3570k will end up!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If it crashes under any circumstance, you need to back off. If you can up the voltage a little, that'll help keep it stable but increase temps a good bit. It's always a little lottery with the silicon when trying for high overclocks, but try different stressful benchmarks provided you have time. Just realize that having it maxed isn't very good for longevity, but I'd imagine the people buying this aren't looking for 5 or so years of use heh.

Game benchmarks tend not to be as painful to the cpu as prime95 or other cpu-burn progs though. You can tell the person buying it the issue with the overclock and ask what they want to do. Being honest is better unless you're selling to derps.

add: my own successful overclock was for my asus k53ta laptop: its AMD A6-3400M is normally 1.4ghz, overclocked to 2.4ghz stable without any mods to the hardware and undervolting it (yes, undervolting, normally 1.325v cap, lowered to 1.2v cap). Some folks have reached 3ghz+ with it, and making their laptops stationary just to keep it from burning up lol. Was fantastic for the price 3 years ago.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Sitting at 4.5ghz at 1.35v stable. Ran Cinebench and received a 332 score being higher than a I5 and a little lower than the I7. Ran small prime and crashed again in 10 minutes. Reran normal applications and seems stable at the 4.5ghz. I think I'm capped there for stable usage. Idle sits at 31c. Pretty happy overall for a $105 cpu/mobo set! Tearing apart my I5-3570k now.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That's indeed really good for the price! Quickly looking on newegg, some folks get around 4-4.3ghz "stable" (whatever the posters' definitions are), so you probably got a good hit on the silicon lotto. Another part of stability when overclocking is in the psu, and is often overlooked. Don't skimp on it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

This build specifically I'm using an EVGA Supernova B2 750w 80+ Bronze. The next builds will be using a Corsair CX 430w 80+ Bronze and a XFX 550w 80+ Bronze (Seasonic oem). The latter will be using a MSI Z87-G45 gaming motherboard.

For gpu overclocking I'm limited as the only monitors or tvs I have to use are 60hz 1080p. My main gaming rig has a 770 2gb. The cards in rigs I'm selling so far are: R9 280 3gb, R9 270 2gb, R7 260 1gb, and the GTX 760. All but the 260 should be able to run ultra everything at 50+ fps on stock clocks I'd imagine. Oh, and if it helps, all cards are MSI. They have had some great sales in the last month on many products

Gigawatts? Get back to me when you break into JIGGAwatts.

I've wanted to get into the OCing scene but never really bothered since i'm not a huge hardware enthusiast. My wallet and wife stop me from tossing money at newegg haha. I can only dream sadly...and go to our warehouse at work and scavenge shit together for systems in my office.

Siralin

Prime is pretty rough from what I could tell after my first venture into overclocking. It seems to be best to test the OC with several stress test programs as Prime hits it in one particular way. I used AIDA64, Passmark Performace test, and OCCT. I think it was the Passmark program that allowed you to stress both the CPU and GPU at the same time. From what I read, it may be a good idea to stress both at the same time. I don't recall where I read that, but the person stated that some OCs may be stable while running CPU stress only, but not CPU & GPU. So if you're planning on selling it, you may want to give that a go. The picture below is from my first build/OC for my fiancee (Super jealous as I'm running things on a beater)

It's up from 3.5ghz to 4.6. I could not get the fucker stable past 4.6 for anything. I upped the voltage (and various other settings) to something like 1.38v and it still wouldn't hold up past 30min of AIDA64.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

I don't OC myself but read a recent article about OCing the new Haswell-E processors. They recommend running the Prime95 torture test (in-place large FFTs) and Cinebench for 20min each to test stability and HWMonitor to watch temperatures, if you get crashes try raising the core voltage by 0.05V. More than 0.15 to 0.2 total core V increase is not recommended.

Another thing that could crap out during the heavy load Prime95 creates are the voltage converters on the board. Especially since you're using a side-blowing heatsink, make sure you have enough airflow in the tower so the VCs don't get too hot.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    So I'm getting into overclocking and figured I'd make a post about it. I have 3 Pentium G3258s
    I read this as Pentium 3, and became increasingly impressed.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I sold my Asus Maximus VI Hero for a ridiculous amount and am using an AMD FX-8320e + Asrock Fatal1ty 990+ Killer in the meantime. At stock speeds I received a 50.1 fps score for Uningine Valley at Max everything at 1440p. GPUs are 2x290x. Fallout New Vegas was choppy and slow compared to running an I5-4690k. So...I finally got some time to OC the 8320e. Max I could get loading to windows was 5.2GHz.

I was able to get it stable at 4.6GHz. Possibly could go higher, but I'm content. Passed Intel Burn test. Valley fps rose to 60.2 fps. Haven't tested in any games yet but I'm sure it will be better than before!