1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 2 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 57 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 14 hours, 2 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -5 hours, -3 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Dungeons and Trials     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Can the stun effect from the 1st Sastasha boss be Esuna-d?

I swear the very first time I did that dungeon the healer was doing something to remove/prevent the stun effect.
    Can't be esuna'd but can be shielded through. If stun claws hits for 0 you won't get stunned. I've had success as a paladin hitting a cooldown and spamming Stoneskin on myself to take 0.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

To elaborate, if you watch closely before the stun goes off, you get a Prey effect. Yes, the same Prey effect from Turn-10. Shielding the damage when Prey wears off will keep him from stunning the tank (just like it prevents T10 from doing the paralyze-blast).

The kicker in this fight is that, since it's on the tank, your shield might get knocked off (or low) by simple auto-attacks and such before the damage hits, so you may need to shield more than once.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

That boss can be pacified or stunned, but it only delays the stun-claw.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    That boss can be pacified or stunned, but it only delays the stun-claw.
    On top of that, he'll Screw Tail through Pacification.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    In that case, Heavy might work if Stun is fully resisted. I was surprised boss was affected by Heavy.
    Heavy definitely works as long as he's not being tanked in the center of the battlefield. You'll get like 2 stacks in the process, but you can easily get the tether to snap with Lethargy. Good luck with stun since melee love to herpaderp.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyall View Post
    You can stun it tho, I always stun the first one (only one he does without the tank being stunned), unfortunately most melee never seem to try and stun the others.

Can possibly Fluid Aura it too?

Idk, probably not now that I think about it, it is a boss so probably immune to knockback.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Can pass the prey like in the first boss of Lost City. Just have the healer stand next to the tank, pass prey to him, healer gets stunned, tank stuns tail screw. But its an easy fight so it doesn't really matter either way.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Yeah passing prey is what we do when I queue with my friends and I'm not on healer. That way he can stun the big attack. But to be honest as long as the debuff is removed it's ok. The big attack only takes you down to 1 hp I think? it's the tick from the dot which kills you. I might be nuts but that's the assumption we're working on and seems to pan out.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Yeah, the screw drops you to double-digits, and then the dot kills you, so if you remove the dot, whatever happens next doesn't really matter.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ayer View Post
    Yeah, the screw drops you to double-digits, and then the dot kills you, so if you remove the dot, whatever happens next doesn't really matter.
    This is the tactic every DF group except 1 I encountered did. Seems a lot less messy that passing the prey and whatnot, especially in the df.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Shiva EX question:

Is there some trick to being able to solo tank this, or is it simply the healers powering through the damage? I understand that her sword stance lowers resistance to her bow stance and vice versa (or something like that??). I was originally under the impression that the tanks needed to swap to avoid getting pummeled thanks to the resistance debuff, but solo tank seems to be common.

I'm asking 'cause tank is one of my main jobs and I'm afraid to tank this without any understanding of what's happening. Does a solo tank need to do anything fancier than the usual point-the-sword-cone-at-the-party and drag-shiva-to-the-edge-for-bow-mode?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I sometimes wonder why Pacification even exists, it hasn't been useful on any boss mechanic since the initial HM primals.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Shiva EX question:

Is there some trick to being able to solo tank this, or is it simply the healers powering through the damage? I understand that her sword stance lowers resistance to her bow stance and vice versa (or something like that??). I was originally under the impression that the tanks needed to swap to avoid getting pummeled thanks to the resistance debuff, but solo tank seems to be common.

I'm asking 'cause tank is one of my main jobs and I'm afraid to tank this without any understanding of what's happening. Does a solo tank need to do anything fancier than the usual point-the-sword-cone-at-the-party and drag-shiva-to-the-edge-for-bow-mode?
    The tank can't eat a single mark from the circular AoEs whose name escapes me now. Other than that, any decent combination of healers can keep a decently geared tank alive without much problems. I've done it as SCH and I'm a really mediocre one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbyprime View Post
    I sometimes wonder why Pacification even exists, it hasn't been useful on any boss mechanic since the initial HM primals.
    Ifrit is the only one it works on, it's amusing when you use it for full duration near a "phase" tho.

He just stands there doing dick all.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

It's also pretty great in PVP. Wait for someone to buff themselves, Bulwark, lock them down via AAs for 10 seconds. I've good for frustrating people. Some dungeons bosses can be stumped with it, too, but that's less important because dungeon bosses.

Their fault for attacking a PLD, much less wasting buffs on them.

(you don't attack tanks in PvP until everyone else is dead)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Yeah, was thinking specifically of back-capping points and one DPS running out to try and force me from the flag. Admittedly this was a while back now so I can only imagine the playerbase has gotten smarter.

I know, I know.

I can only imagine the playerbase has gotten smarter.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eidle Weiss
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Shiva EX question:

Yea the only thing i've gathered as far as solo tanking is the tank has to move a lot more and dodge ice circles with everyone else, so re positioning could be stressful, also the group has to be very awake and aware to readjust if shes not in the ideal spot in the middle. CD management is also an obvious tactic.

There's some semi learning parties popping up on balmung with solo tank, which I think is greedy. I dont think semi learned tanks should solo tank shiva, i feel like you should be 100% comfortable with that fight before you attempt solo tanking.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

That's what the I knows were for!

+ Reply to Thread