1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 28 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 13 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 20 hours, 28 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Dungeons and Trials     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

2.4 Dungeons and Trials

Surprised no one has made a thread yet with info on this stuff so I figured I'd start a thread so people can share what they've found so far and get some more obscure mechanics worked out. None of the dungeons are really that challenging but this ought to help ease first runs out somewhat.

Snowcloak
    Spoiler: show
    First boss (Wandil) - Main gimmick of this fight is to deal with a stacking debuff that will freeze you if it gets to 4 stacks for 8 seconds. You'll take some ticking damage while frozen as well.

The main ways you get this debuff is from letting the bomb adds blow up (room wide explosion) and I believe from a move called Snowdrift. Snowdrift will cause a blizzard effect on your screen shortly after he uses it but I'm not entirely clear how you avoid it.

Wandil will also freeze the outer edge of the room he's in at around 30-35% and throw out aoes centered on random people.

Yeti - Lots of adds and tons of health. He'll use a room wide aoe that can only be stopped by hitting a snowball into him. Snowballs will also be the best way to damage him so the tank will need to try to get them hit by his large conal attack, Freezing Mist, so that the snowballs grow. Snowballs that have grown twice in size seemed to deal 10-15% of the Yeti's hp when they hit him.

Fenrir - Really straightforward fight. The biggest danger is Lunar Cry as it's not readily apparent that you need to hide behind an icicle to avoid it. Getting hit by Lunar Cry will freeze you for several seconds, inflict a decent amount of damage and a fairly potent DoT, and also make you a likely target for Eclipse Bite which he will always follow up with. Likely to kill a healer or lesser geared dps.

Qarn HM
    First Boss - Kinda like the Golem from the original dungeon in that there is the main 'body' that can't be hurt normally. The head, tail, and an arm can be hurt and broken to make the guy fall apart and this deals most of the damage to him until he reaches 5% and only the body remains. Adds will spawn each time he falls apart and he will reform after a set amount of time regardless if the adds are still alive.

Biggest threat on this guy is the quicksand which pulls you in and under while reducing your movement speed. He'll start off using just one pit but move up to 2 at once so make sure you don't get stuck trying to go the long way out of the pits. Moving away from their center won't move you up and you die instantly if you get submerged.

Second Boss - Cactaur(s). The main guy has a flower on his head and will use 100k needles at set %s (75%ish, ~55%, ~35%). 100k needles is stopped like Pom Holy and Pom Flare when he takes enough damage so this fight is a dps check.

The adds are pretty weak and easy to kill but two large versions of the adds will spawn in the fight. First large add will focus on someone (always seemed to be the healer) and will just chase them around doing fairly weak melee and 5k needles. The second large add will use Cover on the main Cactaur as he starts using 100k needles for the last time and this is where the main dps check is.

Final Boss - Summons 2 lines of mummies in random patterns that apply a stacking debuff that will not wear off until it reaches 4 stacks. The mummies have a larger hitbox than it would seem so give them plenty of room. Getting to 4 stacks will make you lose control of your character, force you into a coffin as you take ticking damage, and eventually turn you into a mummy that will also run across the room. You'll eventually regain control if you survive but it takes a good amount of time to wear off.

At low health (sub 40%) he'll start using a new skill that can also apply a stack of this debuff. His swords will glow purple and he'll turn and face a random party member while charging the attack but there will be no ground indicator. Just avoid staying infront of him while his swords are glowing. The final thing he does at this point is a skill that places a red marker above a random person's head. I didn't catch what this does exactly but it seems to apply stacks of the debuff as I went from 2 to 4 after the mark wore off on me.

Satasha HM
    First boss - Spits slime at two targets and will use Tail Screw on one of them. The slime slows and acts as a DoT while Tail Screw will always bring you to near death. Healer will need to dispel the slime so that the Tail Screw target won't die to the DoT.

He also marks the tank with Prey and will draw them in after 8-9 seconds. I wasn't able to work out of there was a way to prevent this but all he does after the draw in is stun you (and he might gain a damage and haste buff but I'm not sure on this).

Second boss - He'll charge at someone randomly and do a wide swing that knocks anyone it hits back. Afterwards he'll focus on someone and do a volley of shots. He'll summon adds throughout the fight that are pretty easy to deal with. The amount grows as his health drops and adds that grab onto you and bind you get mixed in. He'll run away at around 10% and summon a lot of adds that need to be cleared out to end the fight.

Kraken - I feel like there was something to this fight my group missed. It wasn't hard but he had a good amount of HP and the fight felt longer than it needed to be. His arms and tentacles are back from Hullbreaker and will keep coming back even if killed this time. They do exactly the same things they did before and go down fairly easily as well. He'll occasionally use Ink Blot, a large and short range cone, that blinds and deals 600ish damage to a tank.

Throughout the fight the Kraken also uses a move called Strange Tide. I'm not sure what this move does as I never took damage from it or saw any indication that there was something to dodge. His arms/tentacles will withdraw when he uses this and respawn a short time after.

If anyone has some clarifications on the new bosses or wants to share what they've learned about Shiva Ex and the Hildibrand fight feel free to do so. I put everything in spoilers since the post got kinda long as well.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Seems that if you run through the 2nd sastasha boss when he starts shooting at you, he'll stop (we think, Anya Melinoe figured it out, have to test again)

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

If you run through a player while you're a mummy you'll give them a stack of Mummy's Curse or w/e the same as if you were an NPC mummy.

(My favorite thing to do in new dungeons is "WHAT IF I JUST FAIL THE MECHANIC")

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Being turned into a mummy is about the most enjoyable thing in the new dungeons.

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

On that note, Qarn is going to be the most frustrating of the new dungeons to get in roulette for awhile. I tried to do my roulette run today before classes and had to drop from a Qarn run after my group wiped 5 times to the Cactuar. It's not fun spending 10-15 mins to find out the dps in your group are incapable of understanding how to prioritize targets.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Being turned into a mummy is about the most enjoyable thing in the new dungeons.
    Yeh I laughed so hard when one of my guys randomly waltzed behind the boss where I was tanking.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The Dragon's Neck
    Gimmick of the fight is if you get ringed-out, you get stunned/untargetable for a few seconds before you can jump back in. If the entire party gets knocked out together its a wipe.

Ultros + Typhon will tether once in awhile if one of them dips further than 10%ish HP of the other, which splits their remaining HP out evenly to prevent zerging one too fast.

All the DPS in the group will get imp status eventually for dealing with an instant-wipe mechanic. They need to sit in front conal range of Ultros and eat the water attack he does from time to time to build up a buff stack. Shortly after, Typhon will head to the middle and glow purple for his snort attack. The imps *must* use their imp punch attack on him with their buff stack to remove Typhon of his own stacks. He'll have 8 stacks, and you'll need 8 of your own altogether to clear it.

First time you get imp'd, Ultros will use his conal three times over the course of 15 seconds. He'll repeat the imp status again during the first merry-go-round typhon (he'll rotate in the center knocking back anyone in conal rangeof his front/rear) as well. You can cheese the mechanic by having one person ring themselves out intentionally before Typhon is about to glow, and having them jump in immediately after the knockback gets applied before the rest of the party gets counted for ring-out.

After that, the rest of the fight is rather simple. Just AoE dodging and dealing damage. Optimal for the tanks to keep both mobs around the center side-by-side so DPS can AoE them down quicker.

[EDIT] Added a couple things and a scrub work-around.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Did Sastasha final boss; won first go, but we had frankly no idea what to do. Eventually we just settled on staying to one side of the arena, killing the two tentacles there, and leaving the rest alone. You can avoid the ink massive cone as a melee by standing at the extreme side on either side. So I stood there with the melee DPS when tentacles weren't up. It's not worth trying to get hate on the tentacles, just makes the fight a mess.

Qarn Cactuar was a pain in the ass as one roulette DRG was just totally out to lunch. Eventually I just rode Sword Oath and the BLM / SCH / me were able to kill the PLD Cactuar and interrupt 100k needles while DRG was moving in circles. Rest of fight is just hack and slash to the end (maybe if you take really long, something else happens; no idea).

New Merits
    BG Level

Had no problems with Sastasha, had BLM solely on tentacle killing duty while having monk on right flank of boss and warrior on left killing actual boss, felt like it was just zerg fight without paying any attention to actual mechanics

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's just a game of Whack-A-Mole with the arms.

Whoever has hate on Kraken gets targeted by Tentacles' ranged attacks. Staying near one or both might reduce damage taken by tank as the ranged move is quick and painful. Keep DoTs on Kraken, kill all arms ASAP to keep a World's End from happening, DPS boss when able. Rinse + repeat as you get more and more arms each cycle.

It's still a mystery to me what exactly interrupts Captain Madison's musket shots. Is it spinning around him or DPSing him?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Kraken is quick and easy.

Ignore Tentacles, they tickle the tank and periodically stun someone. Whatever.

Kill the Arms as they spawn. If they're out too long you get Whirlpooled or whatever. Just DPS them quickly, they have so little HP that Butcher's Block was doing over 20% to them.

If you do it this way, he should go down in 2-3 minutes.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

How do you avoid/stop the gun shots on Captain Madison? He just shoots us dead and we can't heal through it fast enough because each shot is like 1600 damage...

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Selamis View Post
    How do you avoid/stop the gun shots on Captain Madison? He just shoots us dead and we can't heal through it fast enough because each shot is like 1600 damage...
    I'm convinced it's either interrupted by enough damage or running circles around him. If that's not it, Cover does wonders and it really helps when the healer can keep an eye on who he's targeting and just heal-bomb the crap out of that person.

For people who are having trouble with the second Sastasha boss, it seems when it chooses it's target to shoot, that person simply has to LOS him for him to "miss". Every consecutive shot he lands, his damage goes up, so it's probably best for everyone to stack on boss so the can run through it quickly.

Now if only I could figure out the first boss and how to remove or prevent the haste/damage up buff.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I'm convinced it's either interrupted by enough damage or running circles around him. If that's not it, Cover does wonders and it really helps when the healer can keep an eye on who he's targeting and just heal-bomb the crap out of that person.
    Yea we tried both, running through him didn't seem to work, so we were convinced it was enough damage done. I was the healer, but only i92 so I'm not sure if that contributed to our failing on him, if I just didn't have the juice to keep up. We finally ended up killing him and then timed out on the kraken.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think it's damage done to him, as I was chosen as a BLM for his shots twice or thrice in the fight and I stayed all the time in turret mode, just throwing fires. Every time, he ended up stopping before the damage was of any concern.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

On 2nd Sastasha boss, I stepped between target and him like Brayflox. Thought it worked as I was taking damage, but really didn't test thoroughly.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I too think it's damage on the 2nd boss. I instructed my group to rush him where possible, but I also noticed he seems to stop at 30 stacks? Dunno if it's because we just happened to have dealt enough damage.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It is indeed damage done, one firestarter was enough to knock him out of it.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I went back later in the night and reran it as my mnk that was better geared than my whm, the group I had was all new to it but with a brief discussion based off this thread, we knocked him out of shooting mode as well by just pounding him. Thanks for the tips.

Qarn is fun as hell also! I think I like that the most so far, which says a lot because I hated the original version, didn't unlock Snowcloak yet, plan to do that tonight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast